Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
And it does take a while to get used to SDM if this is your first lens with it. Kinda took me by surprise when I got my 50-135.
I had trouble getting used to SDM for the first time also since I couldn't hear the motor focusing, I'm always used to hearing the screw-drive and know when it's ready because the loud noise stops. But now with SDM you can't hear anything at all.

11-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
Igilligan

I am a bit surprized you are shocked about the slow AF of that lens since every review and most all comments on the forums about that lens talk about the dreadfully slow AF.

As to it being a portrait lens, I have seen many photos from it, and I honestly would take my Helios 44M over it. I have yet to see photos from the DA* 55 that would justify that kind of money. But that is just my opinion.
11-04-2009, 08:00 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But Gus, you would take your Helios 44M over any other lens out there. How is this different?

Edit: Now, I forget, how fast is the autofocus on your Helios?

Last edited by Rondec; 11-05-2009 at 05:26 AM.
11-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I am a bit surprized you are shocked about the slow AF of that lens since every review and most all comments on the forums about that lens talk about the dreadfully slow AF.

As to it being a portrait lens, I have seen many photos from it, and I honestly would take my Helios 44M over it. I have yet to see photos from the DA* 55 that would justify that kind of money. But that is just my opinion.
Is your Helios sharp wide open?

11-05-2009, 06:08 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I had trouble getting used to SDM for the first time also since I couldn't hear the motor focusing, I'm always used to hearing the screw-drive and know when it's ready because the loud noise stops. But now with SDM you can't hear anything at all.
Just turn on the focus confirmation sound in camera, and your problem solved!
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #21
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But Gus, you would take your Helios 44M over any other lens out there. How is this different?

Edit: Now, I forget, how fast is the autofocus on your Helios?
My guess is the AF on my Helios is about as fast as the AF on the 55* haha

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Is your Helios sharp wide open?
Well the Helios is F2 so, IMHO it is pretty sharp wide open... almost too sharp sometimes for those face shots. Definately as sharp as my lowly FA 50 1.4 at F2.

And lets not forget we are talkin' $20 vs $700

But I completely understand, if you have the kind of money to be buying the DA*55, you certainly don't want to be having to turn a focus ring.

I promise... this is my last time to hawk the Helios...
05-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would just skip the *55 and get a *50 -135mm f2.8 and keep the 50 1.7