Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #1

SMC PENTAX DA 40MM F2.8 LIMITED, Do I have to use the HOOD all the time ?

Hi, I just got my new SMC PENTAX DA 40MM F2.8 LIMITED lens, I have the option to install a 49mm UV Filter without the hood, or a 30.5mm UV Filter with the hood installed.

Do you think it's OK to have the hood always installed in the lens, for indoor and outdoor photos ?, with and without flash ?, or the hood should be used ONLY while doing outdoors photos to avoid issues with the Sun ?, for me the ideal would be to leave the hood installed all the time with the 30.5 UV filter, but I do not know if that will affect some pictures, thanks a lot

11-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Use the 30.5mm filter with hood combination. It works all the time in all situations, looks cool and it doesn't add to the size. Then again, it is your lens and there is nothing wrong with using a 49mm filter too.
11-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I am not supposed to use both filters at the same time right ?
11-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Actually, you have a third option--don't use a filter at all. And in my opinion, that's the best option, though others will certainly disagree. Also, I see no reason to shoot with the hood removed. And the hood should provide adequate protection as long as you are reasonably careful and don't make a habit of flinging your camera lens-down onto a concrete surface from a height of 10 feet or more.

Of course, if you're going to be shooting on a sandy beach near rough surf in gale-force winds, I would change my mind about the filter.

11-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Just screw your hood onto your UV filter. It will work just fine. I also replaced my lens cap with a plastic one from Adorama, just to be certain that I don't lose the one that came with the lens.
11-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

No need for the filter. The hood keeps anything from hitting the glass already. Just keep a blower handy if you're gonna get dusty.
11-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The hood always either improves iq or has no effect; filters always either degrade iq or have no effect. Given that the DA40 hood also protects the lnes practically as well as any filter does, and does this wiwithout *ever* harming IQ, the sensible answer is to always use the hood, never use a filter.
11-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just screw your hood onto your UV filter. It will work just fine. I also replaced my lens cap with a plastic one from Adorama, just to be certain that I don't lose the one that came with the lens.
The plastic cap you bought from Adorama replaced the small metal that screw in the hood ?, or the one attached to the 49mm filter without the hood ?

11-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I got something like Amazon.com: Adorama 30.5mm Plastic Snap-On Lens Cap: Electronics to replace the metal screw in lens cap. I think other people have used the cap off of a Fuji film canister to replace it as well. Obviously, if you shoot without the hood, you could just use a 49 mm squeeze cap.

I guess I have a great fear of scratching my lenses, whether in the bag, or when shooting and so I use a filter all of the time. The only problem that I have noticed is that it can increase flare in certain situations.
11-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #10

For my limited lens, I have decided not to use any filter, as the opening is small for all of them, and the chance of me touching the front element is quite small. Provided that the hood is always on.

I have thought of using filters, but its hard to get high quality 49mm filter, as compared to 77mm or 67mm.
11-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #11

Lens-cap

u can use JVC Camcorder lens-cap Everio GZ-MC100 (source Japanese web)

that's why JVC want to buy Pentax.
11-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by julia Quote
u can use JVC Camcorder lens-cap Everio GZ-MC100 (source Japanese web)
that's why JVC want to buy Pentax.
Ah, that explains it!
11-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There has been a lot of debate on whether or not a UV filter needs to stay on your lens all the time. I was using them, mostly out of old habits, and have recently stopped and I have noticed an improvement in the overall IQ of my photos. I use a lens hood all the time.
11-10-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The 49mm option is meant as an option for owners of other Limited lenses which (except the 31) all take 49mm filters. If that's not your case the smaller filter is cheaper.

Other than that a UV filter is not very useful unless you have real reason to fear for the integrity of your lens. I only use polarizers and ND filters.