Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A couple of limited questions

Hey all,

In a fairly excited mood right now. I've managed to buy a couple of FA Limiteds (43 and 77) in the Marketplace in the last few weeks so they should be arriving any day now
These will be my first autofocus lens I have bought this year as I got the 16-45 and 55-300 near enough at the same time as my first DSLR a K20D last December. Since March / April I have been practically manual focusing every shot and learning the joys and also the agonies of using some classic Pentax lenses. I think along the way I have also been converted to primes
I'm curious though, do you think a limited class lens is a big step up in terms of quality over say an 85mm Super Takumar? and will an autofocus and prime lens fundementally change the way I view my hobby?
Lastly... how long do you reckon I'll last before getting the set?

11-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll break relatively soon, and start getting visions of the 31 in your dreams. Then it's all over, my friend.
11-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
43 arrived yesterday... I'm in trouble now Its 2 hours b4 dawn and i'm raring to go.
Some observations:
It comes with a natty little bag
I will lose the hood and lens cap
Build quality... not as tank like as a Takumar, you don't feel like you could use it to fend off a mugger but at the same time there is a overriding sense of quality, little things add to it, the green felt inside the lens cap, the felt lining inside the hood. The focus ring is lighter than i'm used to but oh so precise. If I had to sum up it would be that a Takumar is a masculine lens, this Limited is more feminine.

Finally, I think I will use it to take pictures of all my other lenses cause they are going to the market place

Last edited by robbiec; 11-14-2009 at 03:24 AM.
11-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty spot on observations, although for AF lenses the ltd series are more masculine than non-ltd AF lenses.

Takumars are just in a class of their own...

11-14-2009, 03:12 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Firs of all congrats.
Secondly it's hard to resist the temptation once you start with ltds. I've been struggling with it since January, when I got 31, andd although I have 40ltd and F50, I'm seriously contemplating getting 43. I would love 77 but for now it's out of reach...sadly

Peter
11-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some from this mornings get to know you...

and some Tom & Jerry action just grabbed the camera off the kitchen table and pressed the button.
The cat is our neighbours, she comes over and bullies our cat. Rufus generally sees her off though...

and my cat Max doing his ninja moves on the back door...

Last edited by robbiec; 11-14-2009 at 11:28 AM.