Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 71
Raynox or Hoya +10 on the DA40 or Helios?

I would like to get a close up filter/lens to dabble in macro.

I have seen some pretty good results from the Raynox 250 paired with the DA 40 (from Igilligan I believe). My only concern would be ease of use while taking on and off and using step up/down rings.

However, has anyone compared the quality/magnification of the Raynox to the Hoya +10? I could get it in 49mm and simply screw it on the DA 40. However, I am having difficulty determining which would provide better overall performance (measured by quality and amount of magnification).

In addition, I would likely to be using one of these on either the DA 40mm or the Helios 44k-4. So anyone have any experience with the Raynox on the Helios or the Hoya +10 (or +1,+2,+4 or any combination thereof) on either the DA 40 or the Helios?

The Raynox would likely give me flexibility for both lenses (if indeed the Helios provides decent macro performance). But if the DA 40 would be better anyway, then perhaps if the Hoya +10 is decent it would be the better choice for ease of use/lack of step up ring?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

11-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member
indytax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 312
I haven't used the Hoya close-up filter, but I have used the Raynox 150 (just less magnification than the 250). I chose the Raynox over the virtually universal opinion that the Raynox lens gives better IQ than close-up filters. I would not recommend using multiple close-up filters at the same time as you're just multiplying the image degradation.

Plus, the Raynox is extremely easy to use with multiple lenses due to the clip-on attachment that it comes with (it will fit on some 49mm diameter lenses by screwing the adapter onto the lens instead of clipping it on, or you could go the step-up ring route, too--I've done both with a 49mm diameter lens & I find clipping the Raynox adapter onto a step up ring to be easier than screwing on the plastic adapter directly to the lens). It seems to me that the Hoya is the more difficult operation with the need for multiple step-up or -down rings for different lenses.

From purely a image quality standpoint, however, the Raynox is way to go. Others will undoubtedly cime in about the magnification details.
11-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
I made the mistake of dabbling in macro by starting with the close up lens. Not a Hoya +10 in fact it was less than half that power. But the IQ lost already compared to the Raynox I bought the next week was sobering. I own 2 close up filters; one came with a lens i bought. Neither is good for anything other than skipping across the lake. Please go with the Raynox.
11-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,270
QuoteOriginally posted by K206 Quote
I would like to get a close up filter/lens to dabble in macro.

I have seen some pretty good results from the Raynox 250 paired with the DA 40 (from Igilligan I believe). My only concern would be ease of use while taking on and off and using step up/down rings.

However, has anyone compared the quality/magnification of the Raynox to the Hoya +10? I could get it in 49mm and simply screw it on the DA 40. However, I am having difficulty determining which would provide better overall performance (measured by quality and amount of magnification).

In addition, I would likely to be using one of these on either the DA 40mm or the Helios 44k-4. So anyone have any experience with the Raynox on the Helios or the Hoya +10 (or +1,+2,+4 or any combination thereof) on either the DA 40 or the Helios?

The Raynox would likely give me flexibility for both lenses (if indeed the Helios provides decent macro performance). But if the DA 40 would be better anyway, then perhaps if the Hoya +10 is decent it would be the better choice for ease of use/lack of step up ring?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance...
With the Raynox, you wouldn't need to use any step-up rings; it comes with a "universal adapter".

11-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: chicago burbs
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,368
I use the raynox 150 with the da40. works very well with the adapter but it is a tight fit.
11-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
Or, you could get an appropriate stepping ring and just leave it permanently attached to the Raynox, so it will screw on simply just like the Hoya. That's what I do. It means I can only use it with 49mm filter lenses, but since that's virtually all I use (15, 28, 40, 50, 70, 100, 135), that's fine by me. I do have a 49-52 stepping ring also so I can mount it to my 52mm lenses should I ever wish to. But thering I leave attached to the Raynox is far less bulky, and easier for my to deal with, than the clip-on adapter it comes with.
11-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,198
If you prefer to screw in the Raynox to the filter thread of the lens (not using the supplied universal adapter), buy step-down rings (from whatever to 43mm). I have a 49-43 and a 52-43 ring for this purpose.
11-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Untied States
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,882
Am I crazy or wouldn't it just be best to get an extension tube? No interfering optics?

11-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
I haven't used the Hoya close-up filter, but I have used the Raynox 150 (just less magnification than the 250). I chose the Raynox over the virtually universal opinion that the Raynox lens gives better IQ than close-up filters. I would not recommend using multiple close-up filters at the same time as you're just multiplying the image degradation.

Plus, the Raynox is extremely easy to use with multiple lenses due to the clip-on attachment that it comes with (it will fit on some 49mm diameter lenses by screwing the adapter onto the lens instead of clipping it on, or you could go the step-up ring route, too--I've done both with a 49mm diameter lens & I find clipping the Raynox adapter onto a step up ring to be easier than screwing on the plastic adapter directly to the lens). It seems to me that the Hoya is the more difficult operation with the need for multiple step-up or -down rings for different lenses.

From purely a image quality standpoint, however, the Raynox is way to go. Others will undoubtedly cime in about the magnification details.
I disagree. Choose neither the Raynox nor the Hoya.

The Raynox pales in comparison to the Canon 250 or 500D close-up lens. The" D" glass is far superior to the Raynox or any other similar close-up adapter:

Canon 500D close-up - Adorama.com

Highly recommended by Bryan Peterson, Scott Kelby, amongst others:

YouTube - Taking great pictures using close-up lens with Bryan Peterson

They have the same issue with stepping up or down using a variety of lenses, unless you buy one for each size filter thread. But the whole point of matching to filter size is to correlate with the actual lens elements for better optical quality.
11-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Abbazz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Aotearoa
Posts: 530
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I disagree. Choose neither the Raynox nor the Hoya.

The Raynox pales in comparison to the Canon 250 or 500D close-up lens. The" D" glass is far superior to the Raynox or any other similar close-up adapter:

Canon 500D close-up - Adorama.com

Highly recommended by Bryan Peterson, Scott Kelby, amongst others:

YouTube - Taking great pictures using close-up lens with Bryan Peterson

They have the same issue with stepping up or down using a variety of lenses, unless you buy one for each size filter thread. But the whole point of matching to filter size is to correlate with the actual lens elements for better optical quality.
As you say, the Canon doesn't come with a nice universal adapter as the Raynox, requiring the user to buy a close-up lens for every filter diameter. Optically, the Canon is a simple two element achromat, while the Raynox is a three element unit offering better correction over the whole field: the Canon is excellent stopped down but still a step down compared to the the Raynox at full aperture, where the Raynox is sharper in the corners with less chromatic aberrations.

Cheers!

Abbazz
11-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I own 2 close up filters; one came with a lens i bought. Neither is good for anything other than skipping across the lake.
While I am sure the Raynox is superior, I have to mention that not all experiences are this negative. This is the FA77 with a simple screw-in adapter. Hand-held to boot.


sweet blue nectar

11-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,270
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
While I am sure the Raynox is superior, I have to mention that not all experiences are this negative. This is the FA77 with a simple screw-in adapter. Hand-held to boot.
Looks decent enough to me. Pretty shot.
11-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I disagree. Choose neither the Raynox nor the Hoya.

The Raynox pales in comparison to the Canon 250 or 500D close-up lens. The" D" glass is far superior to the Raynox or any other similar close-up adapter:

Canon 500D close-up - Adorama.com

Highly recommended by Bryan Peterson, Scott Kelby, amongst others:

YouTube - Taking great pictures using close-up lens with Bryan Peterson

They have the same issue with stepping up or down using a variety of lenses, unless you buy one for each size filter thread. But the whole point of matching to filter size is to correlate with the actual lens elements for better optical quality.
Have you actually compared them? From what I've read online, the 500D dpoesn't appear to be any better than the Raynox. But I haven't seen any samples.
11-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Untied States
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,882
Has everyone forgotten what an extension tube does?
11-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 28
Cheap Hoya close-up with DA40

It just so happens I tried a Hoya 4+ on my DA40 this morning to see if it would be sufficient for casual macros while hiking. Since I only paid $5 for a set of 4, I think the results are OK given the cost. Photo is cropped and reduce x2 for the web, handheld.



Eric
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da, helios, hoya, k-mount, macro, pentax lens, performance, raynox, slr lens, step
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sibling Rivalry: Helios 44M vs. Helios 44M-4 stevebrot Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 36 08-03-2013 09:31 AM
People 'O Helios O' Helios where art be? JohnBee Post Your Photos! 6 03-12-2011 07:19 PM
To Da40..or not to Da40...tiss the question! Shutter-bug Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 10-26-2010 08:46 AM
For Sale - Sold: Dolica AX620 Proline Tripod, Hoya HD Circular Polarizer 52mm, Hoya Super 52mm cinaibur Sold Items 20 06-17-2010 09:07 AM
HOYA CEO admits not keeping Pentax camera division in the HOYA group? yakiniku Pentax News and Rumors 61 10-18-2009 02:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top