Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Focus trap with non center focus points?

I just read the article posted here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-articles/51036-how-use-trap-f...tch-focus.html

It says:
QuoteQuote:
With Pentax K20D, you can use not only the central AF point, but every one, allowing for a better placement of subject in the frame of the picture.
How can this be acheived?

I can only get my K20D to use the center focus point with my A50 f/1.4.
Body set to AF-S and catch in focus turned on.

Last edited by RichyX; 11-07-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Because I'm an eejit
11-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The A50 1.4 will only do center focus point. It is not a autofocus lens. Also you want the camera set to AF-S not AF-C.
11-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
The A50 1.4 will only do center focus point. It is not a autofocus lens. Also you want the camera set to AF-S not AF-C.
So the person who wrote the article was talking rubbish?
11-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Only the auto focus lens will do non center focus point. To do focus trap you always have to use AF-S. The article states that it must be in AF-S. The article also is taking about a auto focus lens.

With a manual lens if you have the camera in AF-S and hold the shutter button down. It will take a picture once if gets focus confirmation. The shutter will always fire with AF-C and AF-M whether it is in focus or not.

11-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch-in-focus (k20 and up) or Snap-in-focus (any Pentax AF camera)

If you select the focus point on the k20 you can trap at that focus point, I believe. Unfortunately, the k10 will only use the original snap-in-focus, which works only with manual focus lenses. The first thing off the wall I tried with the DA* 50-135 was to set the lens to MF and the body to AF.S. No joy. The whole camera went into manual focus.

So, here is what you need
  • A manual lens for any Pentax AF camera, film or digital
  • With the k20, an AF lens with its switch in MF will also work
  • Set the camera to AF.S (single - only fire the shutter when focus is obtained)
  • The camera will now only take an image when the focus indicator (green hexagon) lights up.