Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #1

B+W Slim CPL + DA Limiteds (15 & 35) - Something's wrong

So today I've bought the DA 15 Ltd and the DA 35 Macro Ltd; I still haven't had a chance to play around with them (tomorrow I will) but I'm quite excited to give them a try.

Anyway, I've come across a small problem and I'd like to hear your advice. Along with the lenses I've bought a B+W Slim Circular Polarizer and I've noticed that I can't extend the lens hood on either of these lenses when the polarizer is on them. With the DA 15 I've even had a scare when it seemed like the filter was stuck in the lens and I couldn't unscrew it (I finally managed, but i would hesitate to screw it again).

So the question is, what is your experience with these lenses and polarizers? Have I got the wrong one? I got a slim to avoid vignetting, the guy in the shop confirmed it was a better choice...

Reading the manual inside the box, it says something about Type A and Type B (I should get a Type B) but the one I have doesn't resemble any of the ones pictured in the manual.

I'm not sure what to do, and I'd appreciate your advice...

11-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

it's because you got the slim polarizer which doesn't have the front filter threads
b+w will have new polarizers soon with a front filter thread

i think some of the other brands Hoya and Marumi have thin polarizers with a front filter thread
11-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed, the B+W don't work on the DA15, and I ended up buying a Kenko Pro1 Digital Wideband C-PL(W) instead, which works fine (Same as the Hoya of the same name). While I had hoped to get B+W, the Kenko seem to perform rather well actually and I see nothing wrong with it.
11-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Marumi DHG Super fit fine and the hood will extend and retract... Obviously on the DA15 you have to retract the hood in order to adjust the CPL...

11-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #5

The rim of the b+w slim filters are wider than usual so they'll prevent u from using built-in hoods. I used b+w metal round hoods on top of the slim filters and did away with the lens caps altogether.
11-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, tomorrow I'll try to return the B+W and get one that works with these lenses, I hope I can find one of the few you've mentioned...

BTW, I've taken these babies for a stroll today and I'm blown away!
11-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
I've returned the B+W filter today and got a full refund. They were out of Hoyas and hadn't heard of Marumi, but thankfully the next shop had the Kenko Pro1 Wideband CPL which I tried and seemed to work fine, as regor said

Since it was a bit cheaper than the B+W I also got myself a small Cokin Gradual Neutral Gray G1 (wanted darker but they didn't have any left...)

Anyway thanks for all the good advice!!
11-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gfonso Quote
I've returned the B+W filter today and got a full refund. They were out of Hoyas and hadn't heard of Marumi, but thankfully the next shop had the Kenko Pro1 Wideband CPL which I tried and seemed to work fine, as regor said

Since it was a bit cheaper than the B+W I also got myself a small Cokin Gradual Neutral Gray G1 (wanted darker but they didn't have any left...)

Anyway thanks for all the good advice!!
Hopefully you'll like it. I have good result with it and I think it's quite effective. If you have difficulty un-screwing it, use a cloth or elastic band to get a better grip as the rim is very slim and difficult to grab tight.

04-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Too bad I've found this thread too late
04-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Too bad I've found this thread too late
Oops, sorry to hear that!

I use quite a few different B+W filters in various Pentax lenses including on a DA15 without any issue. It seems the problem is only with the “slim” filters and not the normal/standard ones.
04-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I use quite a few different B+W filters in various Pentax lenses including on a DA15 without any issue. It seems the problem is only with the “slim” filters and not the normal/standard ones.
I use the standard B+W filters on the DA15 and they work great. No issues with the built-in hood.
04-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benchan21 Quote
I use the standard B+W filters on the DA15 and they work great. No issues with the built-in hood.
I can confirm that too took regular UV filter off my FA 77mm and it's fine on DA 15mm.

Also can inform, that this slim B+W CPL isn't compatible with 77mm Limited.