Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

why are filters so hard to clean?

I have a set of Hoya filters that I use maybe 5% of the time yet they are impossible to clean. My lenses are easy. With a little fluid and microfiber cloth then a little brushing they are totally clean. But today I repeated that process no less than 5 times and couldn't clean this filter nearly to my satisfaction. The marks on the picture are just dirt. With each cleaning they move around but I can't seem to get rid of them. Is it just me?

Attached Images

11-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hoya filters are hard to clean. I've had filters in the past that were a bear this way. I just toss them into a sink of warm water and dish detergent and wash them that way. Whether this will work for your Hoya I cannot say, but it likely won't hurt to try.
11-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some lens coatings are just plain tough to clean and they seem to attract things. I will NEVER get eyeglasses with anti glare coatings again for just that reason, they are very difficult to get clean. They should come clean however. Perhaps the fluid you are using is causing the problem or maybe there is some sort of oily film on the filter. Some liquid eyeglass cleaners have an anti-fog agent and that probably shouldn't be used on a lens or filter. I use a microfiber cloth and a little distilled water only and get better results than with any fluid I have ever purchased.
11-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I can attest to this too.
Doesn't matter whether it's the Hoya HMCs, S-HMCs or B+W MRCs (which are supposed to be easier to clean than the straight B+Ws), they're all dust magnets and frustrate the perfectionist. Dirt I haven't had trouble with, but miscellaneous streaks I have, which does require a cleaning fluid of some sort (I like water) and moderate amount of rubbing with soft cloth.

11-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had the same problem myself. I'm not sure why I didn't think of the soap and water idea. The streaks look like oil of some sort and are really difficult to remove.
11-08-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Lens pen makes cleaning Hoya filters easier I have some hoya filters myself and they're a pain to clean without the lenspen.

I assume that you got the pro-d stuff? the new HD / HMC (or something like that) is reputedly easier to clean. (although reading the post somwehre above me it seems that it's not?)
11-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hoya has had a crappy reputation when it comes to cleaning the surface of their filters. One of the reasons why some opt for other brands like B+W, Marumi or Kenko. However the new Hoya HD filters are dead easy to clean and uber tough. Have never had a problem at all either with the UV or Cir-Pol ones... well worth the money.
11-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

11-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Residual Oil Remover

Try Residual Oil Remover. Works for me anyway.

Available at B&H Photo in spray form and online camera stores as a fluid.
11-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Some lens coatings are just plain tough to clean and they seem to attract things. I will NEVER get eyeglasses with anti glare coatings again for just that reason, they are very difficult to get clean.
It's very easy to clean coated eyeglasses: under running water with dish-soap followed by a wipe with a Kleenex tissue.
11-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #11

All of my Hoyas (older HMCs) are a pain to clean, and B+W MRCs are the complete opposite for me. However, you also need to ensure you have a good microfibre cloth that is clean. I got one as a bonus gift for ordering a bunch of filters from hvstar on ebay and it works better than anything else I've owned up to this point.

I generally start wiping from the middle and work my way to the edges; in a worst case this may leave a very thing ring around the edge but the centre parts are clear.
11-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
It's very easy to clean coated eyeglasses: under running water with dish-soap followed by a wipe with a Kleenex tissue.
As I mentioned, I found distilled water best for all around lens cleaning. I'm a mechanic for a living and I have to clean my glasses a lot. I found the anti glare coating to be more of a hassle than a benefit. As for filters, those coatings are what make the filter do its job so we have to live with it.