Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #16

I have had the 21mm Ltd which I loved, yet it was not wide enough for some things like cityscapes (pretty obvious).
I sold the 21mm a couple of months ago and purchased a 15mm Ltd, just to find that it's a lovely little lens, cleverly built and very sharp but that... I barely use it. FWIW, I find the 15mm kind of too wide to be my walkaround lens, but also still not wide enough for architecture.
So I am now thinking of the DA 12-24mm (or the 10-17mm FE) instead; and I am definitely going to buy back the 21mm...

11-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My kit lens showed me I wanted something better and wider, so I was able to pick up a 16-45. I found that I wanted wider and thought that I could compromise on price with the 10-17 FE. I like the 10-17 and the 16-45 a lot. One of the best images I ever took was with the 10-17, however you need to defish if you wanted to move away from having a bend in the image. For 2 years I looked at the 12-24, the price tag, and the images from other posters (while saving up my lunch money) along with the other WA lenses. I almost picked up the Sigma a couple of times - but decided to wait.

I was able to buy the 12-24 a year ago, and its the lens that stays on the camera most of the time. To me it is like having a set of primes, very sharp - I notice very little distortion in it, have had no problems with flare (and I shoot into a lot of sunsets), and its a bit large - but I manage well with it. I use it for just about everything.

In my backpack I have (and most of the time travel with) the 10-17, 12-24, 16-45 and 55-300. That is it (more than enough).

I have been considering a prime - the DA 21/3.2, however with the 12-24 I keep putting it off as not really needed. Right now I have no urgent need for anything else. I feel I have everything covered. The only change I might make is if Pentax were to come out with the equivalent of the Tokina 11-16/f2.8. I could see myself swapping lenses there, however I would loose the 24 end and have to go with the 16-45. I find the 12-24 being better at 24 than the 16-45, but then again it may be my old tired eyes (with coke bottle glasses)....

So, just as an illustration, last week I was back east on business. I was able to spend a couple of hours at the USAF Air Museum at Wright Patterson in Dayton. Here is a shot, has wonderful detail (in full size), handles flare very well, very little edge distortion, great DOF and field of view - excellent color in a very difficult lighting situation (think of a cave with a flashlight). No! it was not handheld - on a tripod for about 6 seconds at f8 - if I remember right.

Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-12-2009 at 08:24 AM.
11-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
philbaum: Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but i would not describe my Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 lens as having a "fairly cheap build". Its in the Sigma's EX series which is their best build line. The zoom motion on my Sigma feels very sure and solid, there is absolutely no "play" in it that i can tell.
Yes-I agree Phil.
11-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 12-24 for me

There are some samples from the DA 12-24 on my Flickr site, including some indoor shots. It may not seem a big thing, but I much prefer a constant aperture on my lenses. I use a k10, which has a pentaprism rather than a pentamirror, so f/4 is not a big problem. f/5.6 starts to get a bit darker than I like.

Even when in cramped quarters, I find 12mm to be just about as wide as I want to go.

11-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #20
axl
Veteran Member

I'll cast another vote for Sigma 10-20/4-5.6.
Great lens with 2 minor ddrawbacks: 1) it could go to 24, 2) it's difficult for handheld indoors without increasing ISO. The build is excellent and the lens sits beautifully on K10 + grip. Opticaly it's really, really good. Considering it's price tag, FOV it offers, and the IQ, it's really hard to beat. As for bad copies, I've read many horror stories about decentering and backfocusing and people having to go through 3 copies to get a good one, yet the firs I got is nothing but great! And I'm not the only one.
BR
Peter
11-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I have a sigma 10-20mm, and its rapidly becomming my favorite lens in my lineup. This thing is a very well built compared to the kit lens, DA50-200, or FAJ 70-300mm that I own!