Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA* 600mm Lens on ebay last night!!!!

Did anyone by chance notice the above mentioned lens on ebay late last night? It looked really clean. It had the mount, filters, metal case, appeared to be complete and perfect.

It was listed for $1500.00 which I know is an for incredible price.

The only thing that wasn't clear was if the lens was a F* or FA*. According to the lens review on the forum I'm thinking it doesn't make much difference they are both incredible lenses. It did seem to be an odd listing thou you had to contact the seller at a personal email address first and then would setup what I guess was a private ebay listing to protect both sides.
What's strange is the listing is gone like it never existed.

I think the seller was recyclebabe.

Does anyone know anything about the seller or is it a lucky forum member snatched up the lens at this incredible price?

Thanks...

11-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, someone got lucky
11-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was a stupidly low price, you had to contact the seller by email before bidding and it is now not showing as even been there then it was probably a con (hijacked account) and Ebay have pulled it. I have seen (and reported) a few of these lately.
11-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found the seller on ebay and half tempted to contact them and ask them what' the deal. I found a number of other auctions by this person setup the exact same way. They have a number of electronic and/ or photo items listed. It could be they just didn't know what they had. If you look for completed listings of the same type of lens I only found one unit on ebay and there have not been many on this forum for sale either. I can't help but wondering if I passed up a deal of the lifetime to have a fantastic lens for birding and nature.....

11-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
I can't help but wondering if I passed up a deal of the lifetime to have a fantastic lens for birding and nature.....
And I can't help thinking of the saying : A fool and his money are soon parted.
11-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Exactly why I'm checking with fellow forum members, something was telling me this was wrong or at least it appeared to be wrong. I have contacted ebay and notified them that something seemed funny with the listing. Should be interesting to see their response.
11-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

I've bid on a couple of these...

not for lenses, but for other equipment. Insanely low price, but you see that the other items listed for feedback are cheap stuff like pens & all from the same buyer. So it's clear it's a con.

The sale ends, and then the sellers emails write, oh, so sorry, no Paypal, the buyer (me) needs to send a cashier's check to outer Moldova. They disappear really fast once you start talking about escrow services.

Done it a few times just to p*** them off. then again, maybe someday I will get that FA 600 for $1500!

11-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I sent the guy an email. It was definitely a con. Not only were the pictures watermarked with a legit sellers name, but the guy said he was going to require use some sort of secure payment method but didnt mention what it was. Anyway, i reported the listing to ebay, and hope nobody got scammed.

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
Exactly why I'm checking with fellow forum members, something was telling me this was wrong or at least it appeared to be wrong. I have contacted ebay and notified them that something seemed funny with the listing. Should be interesting to see their response.
11-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I reported the listing as well today to the ebay staff. I even went ahead and contacted the seller thru the ebay system even though the listing said not do this. So far I have not heard back from either the possible scammed ebay seller or ebay themselves.
I also noticed this afternoon that all the listings that had high dollar items was now sporting a new email address. I must admit in all the years that I purchased off ebay I have never run into this before. I guess it was only a matter of time. I'm so glad I didn't move forward even thought it would of been so cool to have a 600mm lens.
11-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #10

Definitely a stolen account

I had my eBay account hijacked a couple of years ago and the scammer used the same technique of offering lots of high-value goods - cameras, lenses, tvs and so forth at bargain prices - and required you to pay outside the eBay system through his private e-mail account.

The key indicators of a stolen account are previous history in something completely different than present listings and lots of short auctions for rare and high-value goods at insane prices.

Mike
11-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Still, we could look on the bright side.

Pentax must obviously be getting more popular as scammers always aim for a large market .. a few years ago I doubt they would have even heard of the name
11-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #12

The big tipoff, is if the seller wants you to call or email before you bid. That is almost always a sure sign of a scam. They will then tell you that they have another interested party, and are planning on pulling the ad, but will offer you one last chance, etc.

I think a couple of scammers should be publicly executed, by some slow and painful method. A whole lot of the problem would disappear real quick.
11-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #13

It is pretty obvious that one will NEVER, ever find a legitamate lens of this caliber at such an insane price. It just does not make sense at all.
The old saying: if it sounds too good to be true, ....
Think about it, why would anyone in their right mind sell a $7,000.00 lens for $1,5000 bucks.

JayT
11-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Sometimes people just don't know what they have. Granted, it's always best to be cautious in situations like that, but sometimes crazy deals do happen.
Have you ever watched Antiques Roadshow? The other day I saw an episode where a guy had paid $12 for 12 vintage railroad posters in mint condition that were worth $2000 a piece.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sirfishalot Quote
It is pretty obvious that one will NEVER, ever find a legitamate lens of this caliber at such an insane price. It just does not make sense at all.
Think about it, why would anyone in their right mind sell a $7,000.00 lens for $1,5000 bucks.

JayT
11-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sirfishalot Quote

JayT
To support a meth habit. , but that would be something that would probably just end up at a pawn shop