Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2007, 01:50 AM   #1

Which lens?

Hi,

I currently have the 18-55 kit lens that came with my dl2 along with a Sigma 55-200mm and am awaiting the delivery of a Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 from ebay. What other lens should I look at getting (seeing as it is my birthday tommorow hehe). Most of my shots are portraits of my son and wife, but we are planning on taking a photography class starting in September so I will be branching out to take other shots.

06-05-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
Inactive Account

A 50mm makes for a nice portrait lens. I'm lusting after the 77mm Limited for a portrait lens.

But, I've been having smashing fun with the 31mm Limited for portraits (and just about everything else). Of course, the limiteds are spendy.

I think the FA 35mm f/2 would be great from the samples I've seen. The Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 has been a really fun potrait zoom as well.... very vesatile.
06-05-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have a think about the sigma 30mm 1.4

Its a bit closer to a true 50mm view on your crop camera and its not as expensive as the 31mm limited. Its also a bit faster as well.
06-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Taking classes often means making use of a so called normal lens. They used to be 50mm lenses with the fSLR cameras. Now it's something between 30 and 35mm.
The FA35/2 is a very good lens in almost any aspect.
The Sigma EX 30/1.4 is a great lens, faster and sharpest in the center of them all (but has to be stopped down to f/8 to produce decent edges
The FA31/1.8 is an awkward thing but very very good. Expensive though and it's only for those demanding the very best at any price
The FA28/2.8 is a bit wide and slow
The FA43/1.8 is a bit long, mixed reports but many not bothered by the mixed bokeh likes it

confusing, eh?

06-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have spotted a Pentax FA 35-80 f4 for an attractive price.

Would this be a worthwhile purchase?
06-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alvynmcq Quote
I have spotted a Pentax FA 35-80 f4 for an attractive price.

Would this be a worthwhile purchase?
I'm guessing this is actually FA 35-80 f/4-5.6, not constant f/4.

It might be a little fun to play with if it's really cheap but I wouldn't consider it terribly compelling on a digital body because the wide end isn't wide at all--your kit lens is probably nearly as good (though up to one stop slower) from 35-55 and your sigma probably performs similarly from 55-80. My recommendation would be to save your pennies for something better.