Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #1

Can I shoot wedding well with these equipments?

Recently a friend asked me to shoot their wedding. I only have 16-45 F/4, 50 F/1.4 and 50-200. Also I don't have a external flash, but I am thinking to buy the Metz 58.

I use k100d, but I can borrow a k20d from friend.

I need your opinions please. Are these lens and the flash good to shoot a wedding and get a decent result?

Last edited by quaker; 11-10-2009 at 01:36 AM.
11-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with the equipment, but shooting weddings is 10% equipment and 90% photographer. So answer your own question.

CanYOU shoot weddings with that equipment?

Its harder than it looks, I'm not trying to put you off, since everybody has to start at the beginning, but its a long hard learning curve.

Best advice I can give is keep it simple, work out beforehand exactly what you are trying to achieve, and practice, practice, practice. Dont try to fly before you can run, before you can walk, and dont try to learn a new item of equipment on the day. Do all your learning before you get to the big day.

Good Luck
11-10-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
Forum Member

16-45 might be a bit too slow to shoot indoors at a wedding, and the 50 might be a bit too tele to get shots in unless you want to run around a lot to get the framing right.

Also, flash is tricky if you're not well versed in using one - need to know how to bounce it properly, so you don't get a washed out look or bright spots on people's foreheads and cheeks.

I would tell your friend that you'd be happy to be a second camera, but they should really get someone who has experience taking photos to be their main photographers - you don't want the photos to end the friendship...
11-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice. Actually it will be my first wedding shoot. Pretty nervous now :-) I am looking at other's wedding photos and would buy a book to learn and practice. Also I will discuss with my friends what exactly they expect.

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
Nothing wrong with the equipment, but shooting weddings is 10% equipment and 90% photographer. So answer your own question.

CanYOU shoot weddings with that equipment?

Its harder than it looks, I'm not trying to put you off, since everybody has to start at the beginning, but its a long hard learning curve.

Best advice I can give is keep it simple, work out beforehand exactly what you are trying to achieve, and practice, practice, practice. Dont try to fly before you can run, before you can walk, and dont try to learn a new item of equipment on the day. Do all your learning before you get to the big day.

Good Luck

Last edited by quaker; 11-10-2009 at 02:03 AM.
11-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your opinion. Those are pretty much the same concerns in my mind :-) I used those lens pretty much for travel and casual portrait. I think maybe it is a chance to investigate in a faster lens. But I don't know which brand to buy: DA* 16-50 seems still have uncertain QA issue, I don't know how Tamron and Sigma's F2.8 lens' quality are.

Yes, I already insisted I would not shoot well as the only photographer, the result is they invited another friend to shoot together with me :-) Looks like they don't want to hire a pro.

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
16-45 might be a bit too slow to shoot indoors at a wedding, and the 50 might be a bit too tele to get shots in unless you want to run around a lot to get the framing right.

Also, flash is tricky if you're not well versed in using one - need to know how to bounce it properly, so you don't get a washed out look or bright spots on people's foreheads and cheeks.

I would tell your friend that you'd be happy to be a second camera, but they should really get someone who has experience taking photos to be their main photographers - you don't want the photos to end the friendship...
11-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by quaker Quote
Thanks for your opinion. Those are pretty much the same concerns in my mind :-) I used those lens pretty much for travel and casual portrait. I think maybe it is a chance to investigate in a faster lens. But I don't know which brand to buy: DA* 16-50 seems still have uncertain QA issue, I don't know how Tamron and Sigma's F2.8 lens' quality are.

Yes, I already insisted I would not shoot well as the only photographer, the result is they invited another friend to shoot together with me :-) Looks like they don't want to hire a pro.
I've had the DA*16-50mm for a year and a half and it is my most used lens.
Indoor & portrait is excellent. It seems that the earlier batches had bad samples, that is a complaint that has not been reported lately on new produced lenses.
It is weather sealed. Something I see as a great advantage.

It is good to study some pro albums for ideas, and there are a lot of articles on the subject on the Internet.
Basically, you need to *scout* the premises before.
Try to do a trial with a few friends !!!
If you buy the flash, indirect flashing works great on my K10D and K-7, but it took me a lot of practice before I could work fast, and you will need to work fast and get it right the first time.

Make a list of people and groups you will need to do.
Make a list of special shots (bride in make-up, cake, rings, kiss, etc etc)
Take enough spare batteries and memory cards with you.
Find some scenery close by the ceremony site for some special shots.

Success
11-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Above all, ensure your equipment works to your expectations, and you can use it to get the results you need.

11-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quaker Quote

people complain about QA with DA*16-50 because it is an expensive lens. But the truth is that QA with Tamron is probably much worse. I went through two tamron lenses before I got one that was sharp. I think people are more tolerant of it because it is such a cheap lens that expectations are a lot lower. Bottom line is QA with the Pentax lens these days is not a big deal - I can't believe people are still aware that it was ever a problem. I thought that issue would have been completely lost with time.

Most people who use Pentax for weddings find 16-50 to be their best (and most used) lens. The Tamron is also very good (if you get a good copy).

If you get a fast lens and the wedding is indoors then leave the flash at home. Since you are not already an expert with flash it is too late to learn for this job. Your results are almost certain to be better with ambient light indoors. If you are outside you will NEED flash... but just leave it in ttl mode and forget it is on the camera. Again it is probably too late to learn how to really take advantage of it but the extra fill you get from using it in ttl mode is almost certain increase the overall quality of your shots.
11-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've shot a wedding w/ a 17-70 and it worked decently enough as long as you can use a flash. If you can't, you'll need fast glass and your 50/1.4 might not be wide enough. It depends a lot on the ambient light. If you have a dark wood church and can't use flash, it'll be ugly no matter what...
11-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I've shot a wedding w/ a 17-70 and it worked decently enough as long as you can use a flash. If you can't, you'll need fast glass and your 50/1.4 might not be wide enough. It depends a lot on the ambient light. If you have a dark wood church and can't use flash, it'll be ugly no matter what...
It can be very tough to make that call without a lot of experience to back you up. Here is (almost) the same shot with and without flash in a church...
No Flash

Flash
11-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sorry - I really should have added some commentary to my post.

Both images were taken wit f2.8 zooms. One image was taken by me and one by my assistant. Both shots are "properly exposed" but I think most people would agree that the non-flashed shot looks much nicer
11-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But of course to achieve the beautiful results with ambient light, a slower shutter speed and higher ISO is required. Bear this in mind to avoid motion blur (unless it's for creative purposes) and camera shake.
11-11-2009, 06:02 AM   #13

K100D to K20D

Another word of caution: thoroughly familiarize yourself with and read up on the K20D.

I just upgraded from the K100D to the K20D and there's a steep-ish learning curve involved in making the switch. From my own limited experience, it's sort of like moving from a tricycle to a 15-speed racing bike. All the basic features and functions are the same and where you'd expect them to be, but there are a lot more "gears" to learn to manipulate.

I'm loving the K20D but am not yet sufficiently comfortable with all its bells and whistles to depend on it exclusively for a paying gig. Keep your K100D close by, just in case.

Best of luck to you!
11-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
Both images were taken wit f2.8 zooms. One image was taken by me and one by my assistant. Both shots are "properly exposed" but I think most people would agree that the non-flashed shot looks much nicer
Because someone didn't drag their shutter
I learned that out the hard way too but my flash shots look a crapload better now...
11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Because someone didn't drag their shutter
I learned that out the hard way too but my flash shots look a crapload better now...
I should know this but don't. When dragging the shutter, do you use TAv mode to ensure proper mix of ambient light and flash as well as proper DOF? Or are you strictly manual at that point?

Flash in P-TTL or auto? I just picked up a Metz AF 58 and it seems that the auto mode has a higher keeper rate than TTL. For some reason, TTL sometimes way overexposes.

Thanks!