Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Pancake 40 or 21

I'm looking at getting a Pancake to put on our K10 to take with us when we go hiking and skiing.

I'm mainly thinking about this due to weight and size.

There would be a number of people shots taken along with landscapes.

I'm fluctuating between the 21 and the 40's.

And I'm also tossing up the idea of getting a good 28 or the 31 limited (though I would have to save for longer for this one) instead.

Could anyone who has a 21 and a 40 please provide comments on which you think would be the more appropriate lens!

11-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
I'm looking at getting a Pancake to put on our K10 to take with us when we go hiking and skiing.

I'm mainly thinking about this due to weight and size.

There would be a number of people shots taken along with landscapes.

I'm fluctuating between the 21 and the 40's.

And I'm also tossing up the idea of getting a good 28 or the 31 limited (though I would have to save for longer for this one) instead.

Could anyone who has a 21 and a 40 please provide comments on which you think would be the more appropriate lens!

Both are excellent lenses, but the 21mm really is unbeatable for landscapes. By leaps and bounds.

40 is much more suited for people/general shots.

Ideally you'd get both but I'd go for the 21 in any kind of nature-type situation

incidentally, I have mine up for sale

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/equipment-sale/79486-sale-pentax-da-21mm-limited.html
11-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd agree with the preference for 21 over 40 if you're thinking of these two lenses for use hiking and skiing. I mean, check how you use your current lenses (preusmably you have the kit lens or another standard zoom?) to see what focal lengths you favor.

But consider none of the Limiteds are weather sealed, and that's some pretty expensive glass to be risking skiing. I know from my own experience that 28mm is really my preferred focal length for general purpose landscape shooting, and while it's short for people in general, it's fine for getting a balance betwene people and the setting. Outdoors, you'd be stopped down to f/8 or f/11 most of the time, and DOF would be big enough that MF wouldn't be an issue at all. So if I were you, I'd spend $50 on an manual focus 28 and call it good.
11-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #4

I'd agree with the 21mm too, although as others have said these are expensive lenses for using while hiking or skiing.

Have you considered an old manual 28mm (if you specifically want a prime) or the FA 28-90mm if you're happy with a zoom? The latter is very light, produces decent photos, and won't cost the earth to replace if it has an accident.

11-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi all,
Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

1. Yes I had figured that it is expensive glass to be carting around. I've been doing that most of my life with heavy zooms on bike tours, hikes etc and I'm just a little sick of the bulk and weight.

2. I thought about a 28mm prime as an option.
Which ones would you recommend?
Manual focus could be a little difficult with ski gloves on!

I'll look up the FA 28-90
I currently own a sigma 10-20 and the sigma 17-70. I love the second lens, though it is a bit hefty for hiking.

Has anyone used the Tamron 28-80?
This is available locally... Tamron28-80mm AF lens for Pentax K mount
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #6

I picked up a nearly new FA 28-90mm for £26 last week (still boxed with original caps). I've used it once, first impressions were good. A fairly compact lens which doesn't weigh much and produced some excellent photos in the low light environment of a theatre.

It seems to get some poor reviews as a result of the mostly plastic construction, but for the money I can't fault it.
11-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #7

Do not forget the size difference. 21mm is small and light compared to the 28s, and tiny compared to a zoom.

Also the Tamron is junk. The Limited gets far better image quality wide open than the tamron does at f8. But you can't argue with the price of a low-end zoom

Go to flickr and see what the 21 is capable of. I promise you will not be disappointed. Believe me when I say it HURTS to sell it.

11-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #8

I've got the FA 28mm f2.8...

Hi Lats,

I've got the FA 28mm f2.8 which I got used and I use quite often as walkaround as it's good for both landscapes (equivalent FOV is 42 mm, so not very wide but wide enough in most cases) and for people as Marc mentioned above.

Maybe you can find one of those, I really like it. Of course if you get the 21mm you get more FOV and get the quick shift focus of the DA lenses which can come in handy for adjusting focus on the fly.

Well good luck in choosing, that's not an easy one!

Regards,
MPOC
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi MPOC,

Thanks.

I think that is a good option for a hiking and skiing lens.
Light weight, small and the price indicated in the review forum seems good.

Of course the old LBA is telling me to get this and the 21 and 40 now.

Does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks again.

Lats
11-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I suppose, but so would all other camera adjustments - setting aperture, dialing in exposure compensation. If' you're talking about turning your DSLR into an expensive P&S, why not just get a P&S? And that, BTW, is not a rhetorical question.

Anyhow, the Pentax FA28 (which isn't *that* much bigger than the DA21) or the Sigma 28/1.8 (which *is* much larger) would seem to be the main 28mm options.
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 65535 Quote
Shameless plug

Maybe you should get involved in politics.
11-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Marc

Yes, the FA28 does seem a good option.

I've used my K10 a bit up on the hill and don't mind using it with my glove liners on (very thin), but I don't know how I'd go with a manual focus.... You loose that tactility you need for manual focus, but using the dials are quite alright.

Point and shoots are great for alot of things, but I'm currently just enjoying using the larger camera hence I'd like to take it skiing a bit more this season.

I have seen one of these for sale recently and it might be an option.
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 28mm F2.8 Mini Wide II-- Manual Focus
11-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
Voe
Veteran Member

By all means get the 21mm Limited. Later on save and get the 43mm Limited.
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi all,
Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

1. Yes I had figured that it is expensive glass to be carting around. I've been doing that most of my life with heavy zooms on bike tours, hikes etc and I'm just a little sick of the bulk and weight.

I'll look up the FA 28-90
I currently own a sigma 10-20 and the sigma 17-70. I love the second lens, though it is a bit hefty for hiking.

Has anyone used the Tamron 28-80?
This is available locally... Tamron28-80mm AF lens for Pentax K mount
I think the 21mm limited will fit you nicely for the size. If money is not the issue, get both 21mm and 40mm which will make a great combo for traveling while you can save up for 21mm/40mm/70mm as a super duper limited lens trio in traveling, the pancake limited fashion.

I am a big fan of Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 for well rounded do-it-most kind of zoom lens and I am surprised that you find it too heavy for traveling. For lighter alternatives, I would think about the 18-55 kit's lens or a Pentax DA 28-105mm f/3.2-4.5 as it is not much bigger than the kit's lens. It is lighter than the Sigma but I doubt if IQ can be as good as the Sigma but the range is both plus and minus when compared to the wide end in 17mm for the landscape needs.

And if you are interested in a cheaper prime with AF, I used an old Sigma 28mm f/1.8 II that is the non-Ex version, which is all in plastic but it is hard to find a copy in the used market. It is lightweight but not limited pancake small. Here is picture that the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 II in 58mm filter size next to a Pentax DA 35mm f/2.8 1:1 macro limited, another highly recommended lens to consider besides the 40mm.

Thanks,
Hin
11-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

For a tiny-sized lens around 28mm smaller than the 17-70mm around you really have to go either primes or the DA limiteds... I am not aware of zoom that's capable of being much smaller than the 17-70mm.

Since you have the K10 the DA 18-55 WR might be up for consideration... use that WR that your K10d came with!