Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2007, 05:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Australian dudes & gals - M42 adapter?

Hi all - where to get one? I know they're cheap, but is it common for camera shops to carry them/will they order one is? There's a shop down here with M42 135/2.5 I'd quite like...

Last edited by SupremeMoFo; 06-05-2007 at 05:19 AM.
06-06-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone? Teds have got the genuine Pentax one available for order for $50. Any other options? I bought the 135/2.5
06-06-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

M42 to K-Mount adapter

Not sure about the genuine article, but i purchased a Marumi version of the adapter from a camera shop in Adelaide, i was assured that there would be no infinity focus problems with it like on some other copies. I havent actually tried the adapter yet, becuase i didnt get then lens i was planning to get at the time.

A shop in the markets had the lens you bought i assume thats the one you got, if so thats where i got the adapter.

Perhaps someone else can tell you more or correct me about the adapter i bought.

Hope this helped.
06-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, that's the lens I bought, that's PhotoCo CameraHouse. They've got "generic" adapters on backorder. There's another thread detailing the differences between the generic and genuine Pentax ones and the generic ones seem to need some weird removal tool to get the adapter off the camera (k-mount side) or something.

06-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Esteemed Mr. MoFo -

I have (and love) the SMC Takumar 135/2.5. Of the nearly 50 lenses I own, it is without question in the top 10.
As for adapters, I must recommend the Pentax ones. I own off-brand adapters as well, and even though they are just as easy to remove, they are simply not built to the same tolerances as my 3 Asahi Pentax ones. Some generic adapters will 'over-rotate' because they are not the same width. Others rotate to a different point.

One other note - I am comfortable removing the locking pin, making them much easier to remove. They essentially stay on the lenses at all times, making the lenses pseudo-bayonet. You will find that the Asahi Takumars are built such that there is no risk of them accidentally falling off. (Note that some other M42 lenses are not built to the same tolerances - notably some Russian lenses.)

Hope this helps,
--Sean
06-07-2007, 01:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought mine at Teds for less than $50.
Bite the bullet and get the real deal. You will enjoy the manual lenses so get a couple while you are at it as the reality is that you wont stop at just one M42 and it is a pain swapping the adaptor from lens to lens.
06-07-2007, 05:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Carpents, and Arj, that's what I wanted to hear thanks!