Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My vote is for the DA14...

QuoteOriginally posted by cmv Quote
What do you like about it? I ask because by the Photozone.de tests it looks like the sharpness of the 12-24mm and 14mm are very close. I realize there is more to image quality then sharpness but it is making my decision hard. I hoped the 14mm would blow the 12-24mm out of the water but it appears both lenses are good buys. My only concern with the 14mm is the lack of flexibility of canyon shooting where it seems the 12-24mm would be useful.

I brought the Zenitar 16mm as I couldn't make up my mind. Eventually, I'd like to go for a Pentax wide but the Zenitar will hold me over for now.
There is a lot more to a lens than sharpness.

I personally prefer the renderings of the DA14 over the 12-24, but that aside here are a few more.
The DA14 is one stop faster... now you may not shoot it wide open for landscapes, but when manual focusing at dusk or at night I personally prefer not work with lenses slower than 2.8 and yes focus is a critical thing the way i work with landscapes.
You are able to focus closer than with the 12-24 which opens up for some additional creative opportunities.

The zoom versum prime question should not be underestimated. personally I prefer working with primes, but for others a zoom is better suited to their way of working, so that is something to consider and pay attention to. I have never felt a prime as a limiting factor, the two points above would be to me though.

Here are a few of the reasons why I praise the DA14:

Icebow Sunset:

At the semetery ( 200 second exposure):

More aurora work:

Well... not much more to say, the Zenitar has a pretty god reputation too, so it might very well be an excellent carry over.

03-14-2008, 07:20 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Thomas - Subtle, sensitive and beautiful work with the DA14. I have the experience of being there, just out of view but still a participant in the landscape. Lovely.

I have narrowed my choices down to the Sigma 10-20, Pentax 12-24 and , now, the DA14, for a first lens for a yet to be purchased k20d. I am looking for something wide to use on a long Colorado River trip this fall. I will be using my 4x5 for most of the land-based shots but want something to use from the raft and for those quick opportunities that I would otherwise miss.
03-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Don Boyd Quote
I have narrowed my choices down to the Sigma 10-20, Pentax 12-24 and , now, the DA14, ...
Don, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are.
I see lots of favorable opinions on each of the three lenses, but they are all from their owners. But we need comparisons from people that own at least 2 of the 3, or had the opportunity to test them.
Now who's willing to buy the rest of the bunch?
Perhaps those with Pentax friends and the right lenses could make a shoot-out and then make it a sticky here?
03-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I have the 16-45 and absolutely love that lens. I bought it on the advice of many many folks on the net speaking of it's rendering and sharpness and I have to say, it's sharp like prime and has very nice colors and minimal distortion.

Having said that, I too want another wide-angle and have considered all the same lenses. A few months ago you couldn't find anyone with a bad thing to say about the Sigma 10-20 - now of course, opinions have changed and there are some folks cropping up speaking of bad distortion and less that optimal sharpness. Leaving out the fisheyes becuase no matter how much people liek them, they are limited use lenses, the only two that keep coming up again and again are the 12-24 and the 14.. The 14 is faster but only 2mm wider than the 16-45 I have. The only logical choice is yet another zoom, the 12-24. Now, if there was a 12mm f2.8 prime lens, I wouldn't even think about which lens to buy.

One benefit to the zoom - landscape doesn't really move. Sometimes having the ability to frame the shot from where you stand is the ONLY way you'll get the shot you're after.

03-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #20

Beautiful!

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Thanks for sharing the photos. They're lovely. It's going to be hard deciding which wide angle lens to buy.
03-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter

With all of the lens problems with the new DA* lenses, I would think that an enterprising dealer would order several, test them, and then guarantee that the ones that they sell work. The challenge for me is to not only decide on what focal length(s) I want, but to hold my breath hoping that the particular lens I get is a good one; which at this point sounds like I only have an even chance .

This next part goes to Pentax: I get the feeling that we are beta testing your lenses and doing your quality assurance. As someone who is currently deciding which digital system I am going to buy in to, and where my money will be going after that, I am not impressed by what I am hearing about lens quality. I would suggest that you publish and set up a hot line to handle these issues, and give your dealers express service so they don't have to apologize or deal with customer complaints later. It would be nice for them to be able to assure a customer that should they get a lemon it will be remedied promptly. Then they know that they don't have to hold their breath every time a lens sale walks out the door. Everyone can understand temporary production/design/whatever problems, but not acting promptly to resolve them will result in people like me taking my interest and money elsewhere. I am considering Pentax because of the wonderful 67 system that I use, the Spotmatic I owned 30+ years ago, and because of the apparent value compared to other systems. But the value disappears if I have to spend an excessive amount of time putting it together. Today, there are too many other good choices.
03-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Thomas - Subtle, sensitive and beautiful work with the DA14. I have the experience of being there, just out of view but still a participant in the landscape. Lovely.
Thank you Don.
Greatly appreciate your compliment
I have narrowed my choices down to the Sigma 10-20, Pentax 12-24 and , now, the DA14, for a first lens for a yet to be purchased k20d. I am looking for something wide to use on a long Colorado River trip this fall. I will be using my 4x5 for most of the land-based shots but want something to use from the raft and for those quick opportunities that I would otherwise miss.
In that case the 12-24 would be my choice of lens or perhaps even the DA*16-50, knowing tha a 4x5 will be doing the critical work kind of changes the game IMHO...