Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #1

Need help picking a wide angle lense

Hi all,

I just got my K100D and I'm looking for a good Wide Angle Lens. It doesn't need to be especially fast, as my purpose for it is mostly landscape pictures, but it will need to be able to operate in low light (sunrise, sunset, twilight) conditions. Any suggestions are much appreciated

06-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
baw

re: smc PENTAX-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL

Have a look at the 12-24. I like it very much.

All images in this album were shot using this lens.
It was my first outing with the lens, carrying nothing else to make me use the lens all the time.
06-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The usual candidates:
-Sigma 10-20mm f/4. I have this one and I've been happy with it. I believe it's the widest rectilinear lens you can buy!
-Pentax 12-24mm f/4. Gets great reviews, a little more expensive than the Sigma, not as wide, but longer. Arguably better image quality.
-Pentax 10-17mm - Fisheye fun!
-Pentax 14mm f/2.8. Great image quality, fast, but not extremely wide.

I believe Tamron and Sigma also make 14mm primes but I don't know much about them. Sigma also makes a full-frame compatible 12-24mm.

Here's a shot from my 10-20mm -
06-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, those are all good options. I think I want to stay away from fish eye (at least for now) and I liked the shots both of you have presented. I think the Sigma is my best option right now, although I wish there was some cheaper alternative. Do you happen to know if anyone makes a 12mm prime lens?

06-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moggman Quote
Hi all,

I just got my K100D and I'm looking for a good Wide Angle Lens. It doesn't need to be especially fast, as my purpose for it is mostly landscape pictures, but it will need to be able to operate in low light (sunrise, sunset, twilight) conditions. Any suggestions are much appreciated
Many of the wide angles lsted here will probably do the job for you.
I have enclosed a couple of landscapes for you to review. These were taken
with the Pentax DA 12-24 f4. The lens is quite sharp and distortions are
fairly well controlled. If you have any questions just post them.

Stephen C. Gushue's Photo Galleries at pbase.com

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 06-05-2007 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
06-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know you said you didn't want a fisheye, but the Zenitar 16mm F2.8 lens is very inexpensive and the fisheye distortion is not extreme. With careful framing and a bit of judicious cropping, you'd be hard pressed to notice it is a fisheye at all. For some recent shots that demonstrate what I'm talking about go here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/7933-hills-alive-9-images.html

NaCl(it's one of the few lenses that is ALWAYS in my bag)H2O
06-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Moggman Quote
Thanks, those are all good options. I think I want to stay away from fish eye (at least for now) and I liked the shots both of you have presented. I think the Sigma is my best option right now, although I wish there was some cheaper alternative. Do you happen to know if anyone makes a 12mm prime lens?
At 12mm there is a lot of distortion. Are you sure that you would want a prime this wide? In many cases the distortion from a fisheye results in better ultrawide photos than the distortion from a rectilinear lens.

I personally think that the DA 14 is a great lens and one of the best options. I also have the 10-17 fisheye and find it to be a great deal of fun and it works better for landscapes than I thought it would.

The 12-24 is quite a bit bigger than the DA 14 and a stop slower. I didn't like the distortions at 12mm, so I picked the DA 14 over it.
06-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baw Quote
Have a look at the 12-24. I like it very much.

All images in this album were shot using this lens.
It was my first outing with the lens, carrying nothing else to make me use the lens all the time.

Nice shots, did you use any filters on these or are they just lens only?

06-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awetmore Quote
At 12mm there is a lot of distortion. Are you sure that you would want a prime this wide? In many cases the distortion from a fisheye results in better ultrawide photos than the distortion from a rectilinear lens.

I personally think that the DA 14 is a great lens and one of the best options. I also have the 10-17 fisheye and find it to be a great deal of fun and it works better for landscapes than I thought it would.

The 12-24 is quite a bit bigger than the DA 14 and a stop slower. I didn't like the distortions at 12mm, so I picked the DA 14 over it.
After looking at some more photos, I don't think the Fish Eye would be so bad. Right now, I'm still leaning towards the Sigma 10-20mm when I can save up the cash, but I may take NaClH2O's suggestion and get the Zenitar for now, just to hold me over.
06-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I grow up I'll get a DA 14. I think it will serve good for landscape as I believe it has the best image quality of all wide angle lenses available fo Pentax DSLRs.
06-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #11
cmv

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
When I grow up I'll get a DA 14. I think it will serve good for landscape as I believe it has the best image quality of all wide angle lenses available fo Pentax DSLRs.
What do you like about it? I ask because by the Photozone.de tests it looks like the sharpness of the 12-24mm and 14mm are very close. I realize there is more to image quality then sharpness but it is making my decision hard. I hoped the 14mm would blow the 12-24mm out of the water but it appears both lenses are good buys. My only concern with the 14mm is the lack of flexibility of canyon shooting where it seems the 12-24mm would be useful.

I brought the Zenitar 16mm as I couldn't make up my mind. Eventually, I'd like to go for a Pentax wide but the Zenitar will hold me over for now.
06-06-2007, 03:52 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I know you said you didn't want a fisheye, but the Zenitar 16mm F2.8 lens is very inexpensive and the fisheye distortion is not extreme. With careful framing and a bit of judicious cropping, you'd be hard pressed to notice it is a fisheye at all. For some recent shots that demonstrate what I'm talking about go here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/7933-hills-alive-9-images.html

NaCl(it's one of the few lenses that is ALWAYS in my bag)H2O
And there are several programs and plugins that will de-fish the Z without any problems. I personally use the proxel lens corrector, and it works great. You can't tell the pictures used to be fish eye.

Overall, I give my vote to the Zenitar. Great lens, not just for the money.
03-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #13

Any samples shot with the Pentax 14mm f2.8?

[QUOTE=egordon99;64014]The usual candidates:
-Sigma 10-20mm f/4. I have this one and I've been happy with it. I believe it's the widest rectilinear lens you can buy!
-Pentax 12-24mm f/4. Gets great reviews, a little more expensive than the Sigma, not as wide, but longer. Arguably better image quality.
-Pentax 10-17mm - Fisheye fun!
-Pentax 14mm f/2.8. Great image quality, fast, but not extremely wide.

I believe Tamron and Sigma also make 14mm primes but I don't know much about them. Sigma also makes a full-frame compatible 12-24mm.

Does anyone have sample photos shot with the 14mm f2.8 for comparison with the others posted here?

Last edited by sailnski; 03-13-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: clarity
03-14-2008, 05:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Here you go!
Pentax smc P-DA 14mm f/2.8 ED IF Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
03-14-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
hll

any news from 10-24 tamron, i think it will combine sigma's 10 mm with 12-24's quality, am i so optimistic???