Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how anyone can blame Sigma. Yes they have the odd issue here and there, however they do their best to fix the situation quickly.
The 30mm f1.4 is known as one of their better lenses, which I've very rarely seen any problems with.

I'd be more inclined to blame the shippers, however there's just no way for us to know what happened.

I know that both Sigma and Adorama will do their best to make things right, as soon as possible.
Which is all you can ask for any company to do.

11-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm sure all will go smoothly - I've had nothing but good experiences with them myself. Good luck!
11-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They should offer you an exchange, but you will likely be on the hook for shipping both ways.
Welcome to the perils of the internet version of Russian Roulette. By the time you get this sorted out, your new lens will probably have cost you more than buying locally.
I recently drove an hour to my nearest "local" camera store and they wouldn't let me handle the cameras I was interested in ("those cameras are too expensive - we don't take them out of the box... they might get dust and fingerprints on them"). Insanity! I was fuming! Needless to say they did not get my business... Adorama got my $5,000 instead. So much for shopping locally.
11-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I recently drove an hour to my nearest "local" camera store and they wouldn't let me handle the cameras I was interested in ("those cameras are too expensive - we don't take them out of the box... they might get dust and fingerprints on them"). Insanity! I was fuming! Needless to say they did not get my business... Adorama got my $5,000 instead. So much for shopping locally.
Conversely, Adorama has all their cameras out on the floor, where you can handle them freely, without the interference of a salesman...... including every Pentax DSLR available.

11-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I've heard it's a very nice "brick and mortar" store. I wish I had access to such a place, but, well, I suppose my access to the mountains makes up for it...
11-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We no longer have any camera stores in this area, just a couple of dept. stores and big box stores that sell a few cameras, also locked up. Every camera I have ever bought came from a shop but I have resigned myself that my next one will have to be mail order/online. This is the way the business has gone. I don't really like it and returning things to mail order is a hassle sometimes. Last week I bought a new printer that was bad right out of the box. I returned it to the store and had my refund instantly. With a mail order company I would still be getting my chain yanked. I support the "Buy Local" idea but sometimes it isn't possible with some products, and cameras are one of them, at least around here. I would have serious reservations about ordering something from half way around the world however. If something needs to be returned, the hassle is multiplied 3X.
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer shopping local to mail order, but there is no accounting for retailer stupidity. I don't know if it's still true, but when I was selling this stuff, the vendors had a replacement or return policy on demo cameras because they would sometimes get over handled.

11-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I don't know how anyone can blame Sigma. Yes they have the odd issue here and there, however they do their best to fix the situation quickly.
The 30mm f1.4 is known as one of their better lenses, which I've very rarely seen any problems with.

I'd be more inclined to blame the shippers, however there's just no way for us to know what happened.

I know that both Sigma and Adorama will do their best to make things right, as soon as possible.
Which is all you can ask for any company to do.
Bull, an improperly attached aperature leaf is the fault of the manufacturer, no matter if it is an "odd issue".
11-12-2009, 10:22 AM   #24
Adorama Camera Representative

Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
See, there's Helen.

Come to think of it, Helen, when I looked at the site and all, the exchange procedure didn't *sound* as cool and smooth as it turned out to be. (I just called on the phone and everything got sorted.)
Could maybe talk to your Web-guys about that.
Thanks for the feedback - very much appreciated re the info on the website. I've passed it on to the head of the team responsible for the FAQs to have a look at

Helen
11-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
... I support the "Buy Local" idea but sometimes it isn't possible with some products, and cameras are one of them, at least around here. I would have serious reservations about ordering something from half way around the world however. If something needs to be returned, the hassle is multiplied 3X.
that's true. which is why i was particularly worried when i discovered the fault in the lens. adorama offered to reimburse return shipping, which helps a lot. i don't have to worry about excessive costs to return a faulty lens (due to the manufacturer's defect).
11-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Bull, an improperly attached aperature leaf is the fault of the manufacturer, no matter if it is an "odd issue".
And you know that it couldn't be down to shipping damage how, exactly?
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #27

I recently purchased a K-7 and also the 18-55m WR lens.
The order was filled, shipped and received in a very short period of time.

The brand new lens appeared (to me) be defective in that it had what I thought was an excessive amount of lateral play or movement in the barrel.
Adorama issued a return shipping tag immediately, and returned a new lens to me within 10 days of their receipt. Postage was on them bith directions.

I find that absolutely superb service today and will purchase again from them without question.
I am "old school" and have a lot of glass around here and some of those 35mm manual focus lenses do not have any play in the barrel excpet for an extremely well used 50mm prime Yashica.

In speaking to modern AF lens users barrel play is normal and accepatable to some nebulous level.

ProAudio
11-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I've been running customer services in high tech for about 20 years now. Personally, I'd rather have the customer to contact me FIRST when something goes wrong, no matter what it is and no matter what the policy is. I'm willing to do anything in my power to make customers happy.

But if a customer decides to go public, things are different. More often than not, that makes it's more difficult for me to go the extra mile because I then have to play by the book.

I realize that Adorama, or any other vendor, can use cases like this to their advantage. It benefits are greater than a few ads in Popular Photography.