Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #1

Faulty lens from Adorama

I'm based in Australia and I bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my pentax k200d from Adorama. It's been about 3 days since I received it. I only realized today that there is a loose aperture blade! I did not drop it at all and it has been taken good care of the 3 days I had it.

When I move the lens around the blade will 'drop out' and sometimes when i take photos the blade does not move all the way back into position, like a normal blade would.

Here is a photo of it. http://i38.tinypic.com/24dmrk9.jpg

I have e-mailed Adorama and currently awaiting their response. What should they do?

11-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I live in New York & have dealt with Adorama many times. They seem to be very conscientious about maintaining their long standing good reputation & customer satisfaction. Their walk-in policy is within 7 days to return for a refund. I don't know about their mail order policy, but I imagine it would be within 7 days after you receive the item. If such is the case, I would think you would be able to negotiate a full refund, exchange, or repair without a problem.
11-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
raymeedc, i sure hope so. i am still waiting for their response.
i have read online that B&H are known to offer a complete exchange without any extra charge for a defective item. i just hope Adorama can do the same.
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

They should offer you an exchange, but you will likely be on the hook for shipping both ways.
Welcome to the perils of the internet version of Russian Roulette. By the time you get this sorted out, your new lens will probably have cost you more than buying locally.

11-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
the problem is similar, if not the same, to the one seen in this video
YouTube - Loose Aperture Blade
11-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Adorama Camera Representative

message from Helen at Adorama Camera

QuoteOriginally posted by L(2) Quote
I bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my pentax k200d from Adorama. ...I only realized today that there is a loose aperture blade! I have e-mailed Adorama and currently awaiting their response. What should they do?
We should replace it or get it repaired! (We offer 14 days for 'phone and Internet orders)

Can you contact me directly with your order number? helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

[thanks to wildlifephotog for giving me the heads up on this - really very much appreciated]
11-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i sure hope they didn't send out a faulty lens on purpose. that would be very bad for their reputation.
I seriously doubt that. Adorama is a very reputable merchant that ships tons of orders, and I don't think it's possible to inspect and test every item that leaves its warehouse. If anything, the problem's on Sigma's end. Either way, I'm sure you'll have your issue resolved.

11-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
We should replace it or get it repaired! (We offer 14 days for 'phone and Internet orders)

Can you contact me directly with your order number? helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

[thanks to wildlifephotog for giving me the heads up on this - really very much appreciated]
Great customer service!
11-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They should offer you an exchange, but you will likely be on the hook for shipping both ways.
Welcome to the perils of the internet version of Russian Roulette. By the time you get this sorted out, your new lens will probably have cost you more than buying locally.
True, but some online merchants have fewer bullets loaded.
11-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

i sure hope they didn't send out a faulty lens on purpose. that would be very bad for their reputation.
Wow, that's a completely uncalled for and ludicrous assertion.
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I'm quite sure now that Helen Oster is aware, it will be handled very well.
Adorama is not one of the scam shpos of NYC.
11-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See, there's Helen. I managed to get a bum FA 50 the first time around, from them: I didn't pay shipping (rules for the international stuff may be different) and they made it right as quick as possible. The replacement is just lovely.

Come to think of it, Helen, when I looked at the site and all, the exchange procedure didn't *sound* as cool and smooth as it turned out to be. (I just called on the phone and everything got sorted.) Could maybe talk to your Web-guys about that.
11-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I wonder why you would post this without waiting for a response from them. Just wait till they answer your email before starting up stuff like this.
Everything I have ordered from them has been perfect, and they don't open boxes to see if stuff works. You should be bitching at Sigma.

I'm based in Australia and I bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my pentax k200d from Adorama. It's been about 3 days since I received it. I only realized today that there is a loose aperture blade! I did not drop it at all and it has been taken good care of the 3 days I had it.

When I move the lens around the blade will 'drop out' and sometimes when i take photos the blade does not move all the way back into position, like a normal blade would.

Here is a photo of it. http://i38.tinypic.com/24dmrk9.jpg

I have e-mailed Adorama and currently awaiting their response. What should they do?
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I wonder why you would post this without waiting for a response from them. Just wait till they answer your email before starting up stuff like this.
Everything I have ordered from them has been perfect, and they don't open boxes to see if stuff works. You should be bitching at Sigma.
I totally agree. Sigma is the culprit.
11-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #15

Original Poster
I apologize. I was being too rash. I was disappointed because I went out of my way to order from Adorama even when their server was down (for Australia anyway). But then again, I don't blame them for that.

I posted this so that I can find out what other people on this forum think Adorama should do, not to go on a rant about them. Whilst some of my comments may have been stupid, it was never my intention to make Adorama seem any less reliable.

Adorama have since replied to my e-mail and have asked me to ship the item back to them for a refund/exchange and also reimburse return shipping (they told me to e-mail them the receipt - which I have).
I have shipped the item and I'll see how it goes from there.
But so far their customer service has been great.
I hope it all proceeds smoothly from here.

Last edited by L(2); 11-11-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added info