Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 42
Faulty lens from Adorama

I'm based in Australia and I bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my pentax k200d from Adorama. It's been about 3 days since I received it. I only realized today that there is a loose aperture blade! I did not drop it at all and it has been taken good care of the 3 days I had it.

When I move the lens around the blade will 'drop out' and sometimes when i take photos the blade does not move all the way back into position, like a normal blade would.

Here is a photo of it. http://i38.tinypic.com/24dmrk9.jpg

I have e-mailed Adorama and currently awaiting their response. What should they do?

11-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member
raymeedc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 951
I live in New York & have dealt with Adorama many times. They seem to be very conscientious about maintaining their long standing good reputation & customer satisfaction. Their walk-in policy is within 7 days to return for a refund. I don't know about their mail order policy, but I imagine it would be within 7 days after you receive the item. If such is the case, I would think you would be able to negotiate a full refund, exchange, or repair without a problem.
11-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 42
Original Poster
raymeedc, i sure hope so. i am still waiting for their response.
i have read online that B&H are known to offer a complete exchange without any extra charge for a defective item. i just hope Adorama can do the same.
11-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
They should offer you an exchange, but you will likely be on the hook for shipping both ways.
Welcome to the perils of the internet version of Russian Roulette. By the time you get this sorted out, your new lens will probably have cost you more than buying locally.

11-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 42
Original Poster
the problem is similar, if not the same, to the one seen in this video
YouTube - Loose Aperture Blade
11-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 545
message from Helen at Adorama Camera

QuoteOriginally posted by L(2) Quote
I bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my pentax k200d from Adorama. ...I only realized today that there is a loose aperture blade! I have e-mailed Adorama and currently awaiting their response. What should they do?
We should replace it or get it repaired! (We offer 14 days for 'phone and Internet orders)

Can you contact me directly with your order number? helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

[thanks to wildlifephotog for giving me the heads up on this - really very much appreciated]
11-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member
PrimeObjectif's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 600
QuoteOriginally posted by L(2) Quote
i sure hope they didn't send out a faulty lens on purpose. that would be very bad for their reputation.
I seriously doubt that. Adorama is a very reputable merchant that ships tons of orders, and I don't think it's possible to inspect and test every item that leaves its warehouse. If anything, the problem's on Sigma's end. Either way, I'm sure you'll have your issue resolved.
11-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
We should replace it or get it repaired! (We offer 14 days for 'phone and Internet orders)

Can you contact me directly with your order number? helen.oster@adoramacamera.com

[thanks to wildlifephotog for giving me the heads up on this - really very much appreciated]
Great customer service!

11-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member
PrimeObjectif's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 600
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They should offer you an exchange, but you will likely be on the hook for shipping both ways.
Welcome to the perils of the internet version of Russian Roulette. By the time you get this sorted out, your new lens will probably have cost you more than buying locally.
True, but some online merchants have fewer bullets loaded.
11-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Photos: Albums
Posts: 842
QuoteOriginally posted by L(2) Quote
i sure hope they didn't send out a faulty lens on purpose. that would be very bad for their reputation.
Wow, that's a completely uncalled for and ludicrous assertion.
11-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 924
I'm quite sure now that Helen Oster is aware, it will be handled very well.
Adorama is not one of the scam shpos of NYC.
11-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,464
See, there's Helen. I managed to get a bum FA 50 the first time around, from them: I didn't pay shipping (rules for the international stuff may be different) and they made it right as quick as possible. The replacement is just lovely.

Come to think of it, Helen, when I looked at the site and all, the exchange procedure didn't *sound* as cool and smooth as it turned out to be. (I just called on the phone and everything got sorted.) Could maybe talk to your Web-guys about that.
11-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Fl_Gulfer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida Gulf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,033
I wonder why you would post this without waiting for a response from them. Just wait till they answer your email before starting up stuff like this.
Everything I have ordered from them has been perfect, and they don't open boxes to see if stuff works. You should be bitching at Sigma.

QuoteOriginally posted by L(2) Quote
I'm based in Australia and I bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my pentax k200d from Adorama. It's been about 3 days since I received it. I only realized today that there is a loose aperture blade! I did not drop it at all and it has been taken good care of the 3 days I had it.

When I move the lens around the blade will 'drop out' and sometimes when i take photos the blade does not move all the way back into position, like a normal blade would.

Here is a photo of it. http://i38.tinypic.com/24dmrk9.jpg

I have e-mailed Adorama and currently awaiting their response. What should they do?
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Ahab's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Oracle, Az
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 739
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I wonder why you would post this without waiting for a response from them. Just wait till they answer your email before starting up stuff like this.
Everything I have ordered from them has been perfect, and they don't open boxes to see if stuff works. You should be bitching at Sigma.
I totally agree. Sigma is the culprit.
11-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 42
Original Poster
I apologize. I was being too rash. I was disappointed because I went out of my way to order from Adorama even when their server was down (for Australia anyway). But then again, I don't blame them for that.

I posted this so that I can find out what other people on this forum think Adorama should do, not to go on a rant about them. Whilst some of my comments may have been stupid, it was never my intention to make Adorama seem any less reliable.

Adorama have since replied to my e-mail and have asked me to ship the item back to them for a refund/exchange and also reimburse return shipping (they told me to e-mail them the receipt - which I have).
I have shipped the item and I'll see how it goes from there.
But so far their customer service has been great.
I hope it all proceeds smoothly from here.

Last edited by L(2); 11-11-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added info
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adorama, blade, days, k-mount, lens, move, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So many lens is out of stock right now on B&H or Adorama henryjing Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 04-05-2010 01:07 PM
Faulty equipment or faulty photographer? (K-x) mamba909 Pentax DSLR Discussion 22 02-15-2010 12:16 PM
Is this lens faulty ? Or is it my expectations ? holdgaj Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 01-24-2009 12:33 PM
Adorama listing a lens that doesn't exist? jsherman999 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 51 01-10-2009 10:43 AM
K20D w/18-55 lens @ Adorama for 699? jeremy_c Pentax DSLR Discussion 46 12-19-2008 08:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top