Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I found my 85mmF1.9 super tak has this glow also, and posted a sample of it, because it is clearly not there on my vivitar 85mmF1.4 but I do like it

see below a 100% crop

You mean the green glow? This is longitudinal chromatic aberration.

Cheers!

Abbazz

11-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Will do...you never know with work these days. I had thought of throwing a body on a tripod and taking the same shot over and over using the different lenses (I have the 77 and 50-135 as well). I tried it with a different set of lenses almost a year ago but messed up the exposure. Just need the time to try it again.....

I wish I could get the clarity out of them that Asahiflex gets....he makes it look so easy!

I had the same thought, compare my 85mmF1.4 the 85mm F1.9, and then add in for the fun of it my SMC-FA 28-80 F3.5-4.5, my SMC-FA 28-105 F4.5-5.6, my series 1 70-210 F3.5 (version 1) and my sigma 70-200 F2.8

All just to see the difference, but have never got around to it.
11-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The 83mm Takumar was a bit of an eye-opener for me because it was WAY sharper wide open than I expected. Yes, it's less contrasty than later SMC lenses, but actually this helps to preserve the tonal ranges.

I think you have seen them before, but here are some samples of the 83mm f/1.9 (which has 7 elements and mind you, I have the black+chrome Asahiflex version which was modified to M42 later in its life), all wide open:
Every time I see your samples I hate you a little bit more . Here's the story:

I have been looking for the 83mm Takumar for some time, because I love Sonnar lenses and it is one of the only Sonnar ever made by Asahi Pentax. On August 23rd, a saw a very nice 83mm Takumar for sale on a Dutch website. The lens looked good, the price was right. I emailed the owner and... no reply. So I thought that the lens had already been sold. And then, surprise, on September 19th, the seller replied. He apologized for having forgotten to answer my mail earlier and offered to sell the lens. I immediately replied that I was interested and he answered that he had been contacted by a local customer and, as the guy was able to come in person to the shop, the lens had just been sold to him. I suspect very much this customer is you. In fact, I hope it is you, because it is comforting to know this beautiful lens is in your capable hands.

Cheers!

Abbazz
11-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
You mean the green glow? This is longitudinal chromatic aberration.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Yeah that's it.

Normally I don't see that, I see lateral or transverse chromatic aberration, where I see green on one side and red/purple on the other.

11-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Back to the original poster's question, here are the main differences between these lenses:

The oldest type is the Takumar 83/1.9, which came in 1953, first in M37 mount for the Asahiflex, then in M42 mount for the first Asahi Pentax. It's a Sonnar design and, as usual for Sonnar lenses it is very well suited for portrait work, with sharp and smooth images and a great bokeh. This is the lens owned by Peter Jonkman (Asahiflex). Here's the optical diagram:

Image linked from Frank Mechelhoff's webpage

The old Auto Takumar from 1960, which has the same optical design as the Super-Takumar 85/1.9 and Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85/1.9 (5 element/4 group) is a good lens, but not stellar. Her's the optical diagram:

Image linked from Frank Mechelhoff's webpage

The sharpest Takumar 85mm is the later Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85/1.8, also sold as SMC-Pentax K 1:1.8 85mm, with a largely improved design featuring 6 elements in 6 groups:

Image linked from Frank Mechelhoff's webpage.

There is a very detailed webpage about these portrait lenses on Frank Mechelhoff's website: Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

Cheers!

Abbazz
11-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Abbazz, thank you for your detailed replies! Indeed, the 83mm Takumar is of the Sonnar type with the second group being a cemented triplet. The other Sonnar-type Takumar lens I know of is the elusive 58mm f/2 Takumar (preset) which -according to Frank Mechelhoff- is the only Sonnar-type standard lens for 35mm SLR cameras ever produced. And I've just managed to buy that one (the 58mm) on this forum this week

Regarding the purchase of the 83mm: it's quite possible that I'm the buyer of the 83mm you mentioned. But the seller never told me that there were other persons interested in the same lens. Sorry! The lens is quite nice but as I have said it was converted from 37mm to 42mm mount, so it's not original anymore. It does perform wonderfully though and it's indeed my favorite lens in that focal range, even though I own the following:

- FA 77/1.8 Limited (I really should use this one more!)
- Komura 80mm f/1.8 (based on the Ernostar, the predecessor of the Sonnar; it's quite soft wide open, but stopped down it quickly gets better and the colors are nothing short of superb)
- Accura 85mm f/1.9 (harsh bokeh and not very sharp either)
- Carl Zeiss Jena 80mm f/1.8 Pancolar (this one comes second on my list of favorites because it has no flaws whatsoever, other than that the construction is a bit below par. Non-working diaphragms are quite common; fortunately repair is easy because it's one of the easiest lenses to disassemble)
- SMC Pentax-M 85mm f/2 (could have been a favorite, if not for the sometimes excessive CA)
- Super-Takumar 85mm f/1.9 (easily my third favorite; not super sharp but it has its own character and a bit -only a bit- better bokeh than the SMC 85/1.8)
- SMC Takumar 85mm f/1.8 (sharp and good bokeh, but a bit too clinical)
- Meyer Gorlitz Primoplan 7,5cm f/1.9 (prewar, uncoated and shows a lot of abberrations in the corners, swirly bokeh, but it has lots of character and is even sharp in the center).

And of course the 83mm f/1.9 Asahi-Kogaku Takumar. It was a bit of a shock when I looked at the first results. At first I expected that the photos would come out soft wide open (like the Komura) but it was really sharp (albeit not so contrasty). Based on my experience I would recommend the 83mm without hesitation.

I do not have any f/1.4 lenses at the moment but I'm working on that. The Rokinon/Vivitar/Falcon etc. 85/1.4 will be added soon.

And here's why my photos come out that good: shoot RAW
11-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldSwede Quote
The Auto Takumar 1.8 has 9 aperture blades. The Super-multicoated 1.8 has 8.
They also have different optical formulae. The auto-tak has 5 elements organized into 4 groups while the S-M-C has 6 elements in 4 groups.

Auto-Tak 85mm f1.8

S-M-C Tak 85mm f1.8

Those are from Frank Mechelhoff's page:

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_Takumar_85mm.html

Last edited by Blue; 11-15-2009 at 11:14 AM.
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had both at one stage. Kept the f1.9 version
To me personally I always felt the f1.8 was too clinical, the f1.9 was slightly softer but warmer at the same time, the f1.8 seemed to have a bluer tone. Fabulous lens all the same but the f1.9 had a bit more charactor for me.
Its been neglected since I got a 77, must take it out for a play tomorrow!
03-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay, now i have a whole new respect for these older lenses and pulled my LBA hat from the flames

I'm really afraid to read here now ...lol
03-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #25
mel
Veteran Member

I think maybe I hate all of you just a little. (kidding kidding). I want, no wait, I NEED at 85 or an 83 now. I'm not picky. I'll take any variety. I've been needing one for a while now but I fear that need is becoming out of control. Arg.
03-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Okay, now i have a whole new respect for these older lenses and pulled my LBA hat from the flames

I'm really afraid to read here now ...lol
Could that possibly be my fault?