Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
R72 filters and step-up rings question

I'm finally in a position to buy a Hoya R72 filter and try my hand at IR photography. I've been reading through the various threads here about IR and have some idea of what to expect and which lenses I have that will work OK with IR. The one thing I wonder about is whether I should buy a filter to fit the largest lens I'm likely to use and use step-up rings to fit the other lenses (what I do for my circular polarizer) or if that would allow extra light in that would affect pictures? Should I buy a filter that fits the lens I'll use the most? I haven't really decided which one I'd be most likely to use, so the step-up rings would be my preference if it will work.

Thanks for any information on this!

11-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I'm finally in a position to buy a Hoya R72 filter and try my hand at IR photography. I've been reading through the various threads here about IR and have some idea of what to expect and which lenses I have that will work OK with IR. The one thing I wonder about is whether I should buy a filter to fit the largest lens I'm likely to use and use step-up rings to fit the other lenses (what I do for my circular polarizer) or if that would allow extra light in that would affect pictures? Should I buy a filter that fits the lens I'll use the most? I haven't really decided which one I'd be most likely to use, so the step-up rings would be my preference if it will work.

Thanks for any information on this!
I would get the largest size you are going to use on a regular basis and use rings to step up or down as needed. It would be better to have a bigger filter to eliminate vignetting on wider lenses. I bought a 52mm filter right before I bought my 16-45 and wish I had bought a larger filter instead.

The rings aren't going to let light in.
11-12-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply - in some ways that's not entirely what I wanted to hear as I'm tempted to buy a 77 mm. However, I doubt I'd use a 300mm lens much for IR and it was amazing how expensive they are, compared to one that's 52 or 55 mm. If the DA 12-24 weren't on the unfriendly list, I'd definitely get the 77 mm, but now I'm not so sure I could justify the significant extra cost. I already have step-up rings for 67-77 and 52-77, but rings aren't very expensive.

Since the DA*50-135 is on the list as IR unfriendly lenses, I think I'll buy a 55 mm lens for the DA 55-300 and then get a 52 to 55 step-up ring for the kit lens (most likely to use) and a macro (not that likely but possible) and a 49-55 step-up ring for the 77 Ltd. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?
11-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Who said the 50-135 is IR unfriendly? Where is this list?! I would like to see it

I do think your plan is reasonable - the 55-300 I think is still quite useful as far as focal length.

11-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went with the 58mm R72 for DA 55-300 and A 70-210 f4.
Plus 49-58mm step up for my A 50 1.7 and 52-58mm step up to go with the 18-55 kit.

Only problem I have run into, is the R-72 interfering with smaller lend hoods.

Cheers. Mike.
11-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I read through several threads here for IR information (there's several very good threads with lots of information). Here's the one I found with the list of IR friendly and unfriendly lenses. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/66895-ir-infra...ax-lenses.html .

Mike - I know what you mean about smaller lens hoods, found it out the first time I tried to put the lens hood on the DA*50-135 (67 mm) when I had a 77 mm circular polarizer on it (lens caps are a problem too - I really need to buy a generic 77 mm lens hood for the filter).

The more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense just to get the 55 and the extra step-up rings. Getting a 77 mm R72 filter is probably around half the cost of getting a camera modified and I have no idea if I'll like doing IR enough to spend that kind of money. Glad to know that step-up rings won't be a problem.