Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Storing the lens collection

I'm curious what forum members are doing to "store" their lenses. I have acquired quite a few K-mount and M42 lenses and I certainly don't want to carry them all around with me, but I want a good, safe and accessible storage system to get a them when I want to take them out for a spin. It seems that bags and cases almost cost as much as the lenses themselves. As it is, I seem to have several old slr bags full of lenses but I would like to protect them better and organize them more efficiently. Any reasonable $$$ ideas?

11-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If its humid there, a dry cabinet would be nice...
11-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You could use good box for tools from local shop and place each lense inside neoprene lens pouch ($5-$10 for each lens). Large lens bags are also quite useful and chinese one on eaby are quite cheap.
11-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine are stored on a shelf in the closet. Some are in cases and others are loose. When the next earthquake comes along, I am going to have a real mess. My better sense tells me that I should really get a better solution. Maybe some sort of display case or cabinet with provision for humidity control.

Steve

11-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One big food container with air tight lid does it for me. It sits on the shelf inside the unit and is filled with mixture of lenses and bags of silica gel (our apartment is quite damp). It holds all but DA40 and Tammy 70-300, because those two are permanently on cameras.

Peter
11-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

It's dry in Iowa, right? You don't really need to take any special care with storage. I think it's important in a dry climate to make sure that there is ample air circulation to make sure they stay dry.
I live in what is considered a semi arid desert (though we grow lots of wheat). I just keep my lenses in camera bags or in a display case.
Dust is an issue, but eventually you learn to relax about it.