Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
emr

What wide...ish (10 - 40 mm) lens with best resolution?

Let's play with the idea of finding the ultimate landscape lens in the wide end. OK, 40 mm on a APS-C camera isn't really that wide, but let's set the focal length to 10 - 40 mm anyhow. Also, in this scenario the max aperture isn't important, as the lens would be stopped down for the best resolution and the camera would be on a tripod. AF isn't needed and either M42 or K mount would be OK. While some lenses clearly favour the image center resolution-wise, in this scenario the general, edge-to-edge resolution is what applies.

Anyone care to suggest?

11-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
emr

MTF readings at Photozone (if I interpret them correctly) surprisingly seem to favour DA 40 mm over for example FA 31 mm. On the other hand, perhaps it's easier to optimize optically being closer to "normal" FL?
11-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Let's play with the idea of finding the ultimate landscape lens in the wide end. OK, 40 mm on a APS-C camera isn't really that wide, but let's set the focal length to 10 - 40 mm anyhow. Also, in this scenario the max aperture isn't important, as the lens would be stopped down for the best resolution and the camera would be on a tripod. AF isn't needed and either M42 or K mount would be OK. While some lenses clearly favour the image center resolution-wise, in this scenario the general, edge-to-edge resolution is what applies.

Anyone care to suggest?
DA43mm @ f/4.

Process:
1. Shoot array of 64 images 4x4x4 (width x height x depth).
2. Stitch 4 sets width x height of 4x4 images to simulate 11mm field of view.
3. Combine 4 sets of focus-bracketed images to stitch DOF together.
4. Optional: Bracket each image x3 for HDR = 192 images.
5. Close strange thread.
11-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
emr

Sorry, 43 mm is out of range. Besides, I'm not so sure this thread gets a high score of all the strange threads here.

But I finally found this thread, of which I had a vague recollection of:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33644-sharpest...rand-ever.html

11-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry, 43 mm is out of range. Besides, I'm not so sure this thread gets a high score of all the strange threads here.

But I finally found this thread, of which I had a vague recollection of:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33644-sharpest...rand-ever.html
Sorry, but your range is wrong. Therefore the 43mm is indeed in range.
11-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, 43 mm is out of range. Besides, I'm not so sure this thread gets a high score of all the strange threads here.[/URL]
Maybe you also ask a too open question - I mean, 10 - 40 mm covers everything from wicked ultra wide to moderate tele
11-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
Sorry, but your range is wrong. Therefore the 43mm is indeed in range.
Ahh, sorry then. I guess I don't know anymore what this thread is about.