Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #1

Compatible Lenses for K20D

I am new to DSLR and have a K20D. I have an old Vivitar 80-200 that I used on my old MX. It is marked as P/K-A and has an A stop on the aperture ring. I thought this lens would fit the K20D but unfortunately it does not appear to. Can anyone,please, shed some light on what is up?

11-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's a K-mount lens there should be no reason why it wouldn't fit on your K20D and work as an A lens.
Can you tell us more about what's not right about it fitting on your camera?
11-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It may have an aperture "shield" that's longer than what the dSLR mount can accept. Some have had good results with simply snipping this shield off.

More info here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/495003-post8.html and here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56987-vivitar-...oesnt-fit.html
11-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Some older K-mount lenses have a "shroud" that protects the aperture lever that's larger than what tends to fit on a new camera. Look for a black protrusion sticking out of the back of the lens that's parallel to the range of motion of the aperture lever.

Other than protecting the lever, that shroud doesn't have any function as far as I know, and you may be able to remove it. Look for some small screws holding it on -- hopefully, screws that don't also hold anything else!

I have a lens that had this problem, and I removed the shroud with no further issues. Some people have chosen to cut the shroud down to size instead of removing it. Yikes! I wouldn't recommend that.

EDIT: dwb is apparently one of those bold metal-cutting mavericks!

11-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi there...thank you so much for such an amazingly prompt response. You were right there was indeed a shroud that I was able to unscrew and remove (lost a screw in the process though).

I really am most grateful.
11-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now, let's see some photos with this lens !!