Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some testing photos from DA 55-300

I only had the lens less than a week, but tested a friend's copy once before I got mine.

Here are a few thoughts about this lens:

1. it's not too big or heavy, only a bit long when extended to full length.
2. focusing throw is pretty long, focusing can be more accurate. But if it hunts, it'd be quite slow to come back from a full turn.
3. very sharp in the entire focal range including the long end. I'm quite confident to use it wide open at any focal length
4. bokeh is very nice for a zoom lens, nicer than the DA50200 imo.
5. great focal range. I think I'd use it a lot

Some testing photos from the two outings w/ this lens:

Some people photos:

Some birds:

And some wild monkeys :

Last edited by frank; 11-13-2009 at 03:43 PM.
11-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I bought the lens for its light weight and wide coverage, so I can take my kids photos when we are in the park. Here are a few I took w/ the lens when my daughter was playing the ball:

11-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plenty of good examples here of the 55-300's sharpness and decent bokeh (for a consumer lens). Not bad in the contrast department either. This is one lens that has earned my love really quickly...
11-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Plenty of good examples here of the 55-300's sharpness and decent bokeh (for a consumer lens). Not bad in the contrast department either. This is one lens that has earned my love really quickly...
Yeah, I've also seen a lot excellent photos taken by this lens, that's why I suggested a few friends to buy it (at least two of them bought it already ). Well, sometimes I feel the FA*80-200 is too heavy to carry around especially I'm taking the kids out for a walk, have to give this lightweighted DA55300 a try myself

11-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had one, sold it, and immediately decided I needed it back, so I bought another one.

It's that good.
11-13-2009, 02:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I had one, sold it, and immediately decided I needed it back, so I bought another one.

It's that good.
Sorry!
11-13-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting the photos. They confirmed that I've got to get a 55-300.
11-13-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Sorry!
Hehe, no worries. I hope you're enjoying that copy as much as I did.

11-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
Thanks for posting the photos. They confirmed that I've got to get a 55-300.
It's is indeed one of the better lenses at bargain prices, hope you'd get one soon too
11-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
It's is indeed one of the better lenses at bargain prices, hope you'd get one soon too
Frank, do you think it is an awkward and too-cheap idea to get the DA-L version with K-x. Every dollar count. If the IQ and handling are the same with exception on lens' rear using plastic, I don't mind the difference as nothing last that long in life. Plastic or metal, you have tempted me especially with your photogenic daughter pictures.

Very happy to see the bargain lens with such beautiful shots san the PF/CA that I have on my Tamron 70-300mm equivalent.

All the best to you,
Hin
11-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This and a 18-55 II were the first lenses I got almost a year ago. Still have it and still use it a lot and have umpteen keepers. Great bang for the buck.

Unless I need deep DOF, I usually shoot wide open without hesitation and never been disappointed with sharpness.
11-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The DA 55-300 was my first lens after the kit lens, and is still my favourite. Some good examples here, it really gets nice colours and good sharpness. The bokeh and OOF rendering is quite pleasing also.

This lens is highly recommended by me - it's also very versatile for what it is.
I have used it with good results for larger birds and wildlife, picking out details in landscapes, motorsports, 'planes, and even a bit of semi-macro.

I'll stop now.. probably sounds like I am trying to sell the things.
11-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

frank, your photos of your daughter with the DA 55-300mm tele zoom (that has a long focus throw) just debunks the often heard comments that Pentax is not good enough to shoot action or active kids. I guess it is easy enough to blame the camera and lens than to admit that one's photographic technique sucks.

Anyway here's one for the DA 55-300mm appreciation thread...
11-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #14

Nice shots frank. Is this the "L" version kit lens w/plastic mount, or the "regular" version with quick shift? Do you use the quick shift often?
11-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Frank, do you think it is an awkward and too-cheap idea to get the DA-L version with K-x. Every dollar count. If the IQ and handling are the same with exception on lens' rear using plastic, I don't mind the difference as nothing last that long in life. Plastic or metal, you have tempted me especially with your photogenic daughter pictures.

Very happy to see the bargain lens with such beautiful shots san the PF/CA that I have on my Tamron 70-300mm equivalent.

All the best to you,
Hin
Optically the DAL and DA 55-300 are probably the same, but someone reported less hunting w/ the newer DAL version (which is a plus if you are using pre-K7 cameras, the DA55-300 sometimes hunts even mounted on a K-7). So maybe the DAL 55-300 is a better option if you don't care too much about the metal mount and quick shift feature.

I don't mind getting the DAL 55-300 if it's cheaper. But in my case I couldn't even get it easily (not available here yet.).

Normally I like fast lens especially for a zoom. But after used this DA55-300 a couple of times, I'm pretty sure that I'd use it a lot when I'm out w/ the kids

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
frank, your photos of your daughter with the DA 55-300mm tele zoom (that has a long focus throw) just debunks the often heard comments that Pentax is not good enough to shoot action or active kids. I guess it is easy enough to blame the camera and lens than to admit that one's photographic technique sucks.

Anyway here's one for the DA 55-300mm appreciation thread...
Thanks Denis I used a DA*50-135 and often use my FA*80-200 on my kids when they play in the parks. But I do feel the 50-135 isn't long enough, while the FA*80-200 is way too heavy for my like, and I need to carry quite some kids stuff too. That's why I ended up w/ this lens. So far I'm not disappointed

Nice shot of the beautiful girl btw

QuoteOriginally posted by Muggins Quote
Nice shots frank. Is this the "L" version kit lens w/plastic mount, or the "regular" version with quick shift? Do you use the quick shift often?
Thanks.

It's the earlier non-L lens w/ metal mount. I don't use QS often when I'm using a DA lens. But I do enjoy using manual focusing quite often, w/ my manual lenses of course