Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Choosing Sigma 70-200 f2.8 CONFUSION!!

Hello all,

I just upgraded to a K7, Nice Camera! - and I intended to spoil myslf with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8/ Sigma 2x converter combo, but it has all fallen apart!! -

After some research I ordered a APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG / HSM with a Sigma APO Converter 2.0 EX DG. This was what I needed. Insted, I failed to read the fine print with a quote and got a APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM instead!!-

This lens does not suit the Sigma APO Converter 2.0 EX DG I also purchased. So now, What do I do??

I could sell my new lens & get a APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG / HSM, like I wanted in the first place, but I am not sure what that will cost. -

Next, I might be able to get a good APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX / HSM, and this should also match the converter. - My Question here is what is the difference between the APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX / HSM and the APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG / HSM??

Also, is there any word out that there will be a 2x extender available for the APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM, I presume this is the latest & greatest lens?

Sigh! - and I just want to shoot nice pics!! - Anyone got some ideas to help out here? - Thanks.

11-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum mate.
What you were really after was a Sigma 70-200 EX DG or non-DG (not HSM).
These are pre-HSM screwdrive AF lenses that work with Sigma's TCs.
The HSM version is not amenable to use with any HSM-capable TC to date (I've tried it with the Tamron 1.4x TC with poor results).

OTOH, the 70-200 you have should be fine on its own - if you really want to put a TC on the end of it, you will have to get a 70-200 with screwdrive AF, like a Tamron 70-200 or the old (now discontinued and harder to find) Sigma 70-200s.
11-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Or buy this 1.4x and let me know how you get on. I'm not sure it works with that lens, but it seems very likely. It worked with that person's SDM.

The Sigma converters for Pentax do not work with Sigma's HSM yet.
11-13-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sigma doesn't make a TC that works w/ HSM :-P

But how do you like your lens? And what are the first 3-4 digits of the serial#?
I've had bad luck w/ two copies in the 102xxxx range so far, so I'm going to wait a while before trying again :-P

11-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

as others have posted, there is no KAF2 mount teleconverter from sigma so their TCs can't wirk with HSM lenses.

I have heard of people using the pentax SMC-F 1.7x AF TC since this teleconverter has the focusing elements inside it, but then you have to manually close focus yout zoom first, and let the TC do the rest.

I can't obviously post the results as I don't have the HSM version of the sigma lens.

I use the origonal APO 70-200 F2.8 EX (No DG and No macro)

the first DG version of the lens is identical, except it has coatings on the rear element to prevent loss of contrast from reflections origonating off the sensor UV filter, although this never bothered me.

There was then a DG macro, and the DG HSM Version of the lens. I don't know if th eoptical formula changed much between these versions, but I have been so happy with mine for 6 years I see no reason to change.
11-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Sigma doesn't make a TC that works w/ HSM :-P

But how do you like your lens? And what are the first 3-4 digits of the serial#?
I've had bad luck w/ two copies in the 102xxxx range so far, so I'm going to wait a while before trying again :-P
I have one in the 102 serial number range and I love it. It's tack sharp and focuses fast and almost silently.
11-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #7

I have a Kenko 1.5 TC with the Pz contacts that allows HSM focus in some conditions. If I use it with the outdoors and in good lighting, I get acceptable results. I would say that it has the limits that all TCs have in regards to IQ and exposure/focus speed, however it allows me to get some good shots of my kids playing at the park or the zoo.

As far as I can tell, the Macro label on the title is a pretty loose interpretation of the term. It does a 1:3.5 ratio, but the minimum focus distance of 1m is pretty useful to me.
11-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi Guys, - I appreciate your replys, thanks. - It's a bit hot here at the moment, like 44Deg. - I am ready to ask Pentax/Sigma to make white watercooled units to so I can go outside & shoot

I think this lens is great, only had it (& K7) for a week, and Kenyee, the first 4 digits are 1012. Yes, I am impressed with the lens & K7 combination, but I need to study this excelent forum a bit more to get the best from the K7.....toooo many flamin' settings!

I think my best bet will be to sell the converter, and save up for a nice 300mm lens. Anyone interested? $300AU pluss freight

11-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Become a site supporter and put it on the forum's marketplace - it will go much quicker that way.