Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Help! Filter stuck on lens.

Help please! I tried to remove a hoya pro-1 uv filter from my DA15mm lens and it is stuck on! I didn't put it on very tightly but I suspect that each time I put the screw-on lens cap back on it probably tightened the filter a little more so that now it's super tight! (I knew that screw-on cap was a silly addition to the limited lenses. )

What to do? I can't hold on to the front element (while I apply force to the filter) as it only sticks out about 5mm from the retractable lens hood - yet I don't want to apply too much force to a precision instrument.

11-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Spock,

Try covering the filter with your palm.
Press down firmly.
Try to turn counter clockwise.

Mickey
11-13-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Spock,

Try covering the filter with your palm.
Press down firmly.
Try to turn counter clockwise.

Mickey
No go. The retractable lens hood sits a bit beyond the end of the filter so I can't get my whole palm on it. Pressing down with my finger tips into the serrated edge of the filter gives a good grip but it doesn't budge.
11-13-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got it off!

I screwed the lens cap on hard and then used it for extra grip (the pro-1 is very thin) and it came loose!

Whew!

11-13-2009, 05:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they do make wrenches just for this purpose

Amazon.com: Adorama Filter Wrench for 62mm-77mm Filters, Package of 2: Electronics
11-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I wonder if those are big sellers?
11-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Now you know one of the reasons for why I don't use "protective" filters....
11-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Take a pencil and coat the threads of the filter with the "lead". This should keep it from getting stuck, without being messy.

11-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #9

Wow, thats sounds a bit scary. Glad it worked out in the end.
I think I will never put a filter on my DA 15 now.
One note on the screw in cap, I find it a bit annoying, so I'm now using a generic 49mm lens cap.
11-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, while the screw cap looks nice, this is the last straw for me and I'll be getting an ordinary cap to replace it asap.
11-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
Site Supporter

filter wrenches

I found out early that filters do stick! I bought a pair of filter wrenches in the late 70's and have never left home without them.
At the time they were reasonably inexpensive. Now they're about 13 bucks @ Amazon.com.
Here is a "pic" of mine.
You just put one on the lens and one on the filter and twist!
Attached Images

11-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Having had many stuck filters over the years. The best solution was found in my kitchen junk drawer. It's rubber sheet used for opening caps on tough to open jars. The sheet is about as thick as a paperback book cover and is of a soft rubber material with raised dimples.

Hope this helps in future stuck filters.

IDE
11-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is another way to remove a stuck filter. You can unscrew (turn it anti-clockwise) the thin ring right inside the filter rim on the front with something like a small screw driver, or better yet, the tips of a calliper. That thin ring is to lock the filter glass in place. After you remove it, the glass will be off from the filter, then you can take out the filter ring very easliy This works even for those slightly dent filters (if you can manage to get the lock ring off).

For a lens like DA15, the above filter wrenches might not work 'cause the built-in hood might block the way.
11-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Simple, just use a cotton sweather or other piece of cloth to grab the filter and twist counter clockwise repeatedly and it will unscrew eventually. I use the same filter (Kenko in my case) on the DA15 and it is at times difficult to unscrew with bare hands, but I never failed to unscrew it with using a piece of cloth to improve the grip. It's not that the filter is very tight, it's just that ou have little grip with bare hands.
11-24-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's not so much that I can't get a good grip but that I worry about applying too much force on the lens. With the DA15, because of the built in hood it's not possible to hold on to the front element while twisting the filter.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. If if it locks up again I'll use the trick with the lens cap to get it off.