Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA15 is a classic Pentax walk around wide angle.

DA14 = tripod. It's big.

I agree with the comment about the comparison to the 12-24, unless you absolutely need an indoor use 2.8 lens, the zoom is a more versatile option.

11-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
DA14 = tripod. It's big.
I disagree. I shoot mine handheld all the time. admittedly, it feels better when you've got the battery grip, but it is still definitely hand-holdable. In fact, with the faster aperture, you're less likely to need a tripod. It may be big compared to the da 15, but it's barely longer than the kit lens and a lot smaller than any of the other (admittedly full-frame) 14mm's out there. The only times when size has been a serious concern for me was trying to get it in the bag (the hood is big around, so finding a good spot to pack it in can be tough) and long hikes, when every ounce counts. That is when I'm lusting after the da15.

[/rant]

I don't know why I get so protective of this lens.
11-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
Well the 14 certainly LOOKS like it's plastic. Certainly not as well built as the 15 which will go nice with my other ltds.

Once you get the chance to hold the DA14, you'll know straight away what a solid lens it is. Dare I say, it probably has a more well-built feel than the DA15.

And it's very easily hand holdable; with your right hand on the grip, the DA14 fits nicely in your left hand - something you probably can't do with the diminuative DA15.
11-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
Once you get the chance to hold the DA14, you'll know straight away what a solid lens it is. Dare I say, it probably has a more well-built feel than the DA15.

And it's very easily hand holdable; with your right hand on the grip, the DA14 fits nicely in your left hand - something you probably can't do with the diminuative DA15.
why do you need to hold the lens for? the only purpose of holding the lens other than zooming for zooms and manual-focusing/aperture adjustment, is for balancing the weight for less camera movement/shake or easing the stress on the lens mount for heavy glasses. there sure are different ways of achieving balance without your hand holding up to the lens barrel. the same principle of holding p&s cams (side, underhand). for a dslr cam with a small pancake lenses attached to it, your left hand can grip or wrap around the body the same way you are holding the right part of the camera with your right hand.

I believe it's a matter of personal preference. some people would like something that is longer since they prefer holding the lenses for balance, and some prefer shorter for less weight and less size to maneuver.

for me personally, I like a pancake because under very tight situations, you can maneuver your camera with the lens on quickly without trying to avoid your lens for getting in contact with barriers.

11-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianN Quote
With this I can't agree. The DA 14 has a big rubber ring. Nothing with a rubber ring can possibly come close to a metal focusing ring.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
why do you need to hold the lens for? the only purpose of holding the lens other than zooming for zooms and manual-focusing/aperture adjustment, is for balancing the weight for less camera movement/shake or easing the stress on the lens mount for heavy glasses.
Agreed. With my small primes I shoot with only the right hand - unless I'm focusing manually or need extra steadyness. Two hands are for the zoom and the macro lens.
11-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I figure there is no point in arguing whether the larger size of the DA14 is an advantage or disadvantage. It is what it is. If you're more comfortable with larger lenses for whatever reason, it will feel more comfortable to you. If you're more comfortable with smaller lenses, the DA15 will feel more comfortable. I've handled both enough to know they are both well-built lenses; there really isn't much difference in build *quality*. It is strictly size versus maximum aperture - well, that and of course course focal length. Every time I borrowed the DA14, it felt so wide I just couldn't "get" it. The DA15, felt right the moment I first borrowed one, and continues to feel that way to me now.

Oh, one thing about trying to hold the camera with DA15 using two hands - do be careful not to get a finger in the shot - that has almost happened to me on a couple of occasions when I've tried manually focusing it. I don't know that I ever tried using MF with the DA14, so I don't know if it would happen with it or if it's focus ring is further back from the front ot otherwise positioned so as to reduce this possibility.
11-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With my small primes I shoot with only the right hand - unless I'm focusing manually or need extra steadyness. Two hands are for the zoom and the macro lens.
Hmmm.... I worked for several years as a news photog, and the first thing the old pros taught me was to put the camera body into as much contact as possible with my forehead/cheek, my right hand AND my left hand. The more flesh you had pressing in from three angles, the better chance of getting a solid shot. With complete respect for Kristoffen, the idea of shooting one handed conjures up images of kids waving their point-n-shoots at birthday parties and getting "action art" instead of sharp, well composed images. If you're happy with one handed shooting, you've got to have superhero forearms.

Oh, and not to totally hijack this thread, I've got the DA14 and I love the damn thing. I use it for landscapes and tight quarters interior stuff with existing light. Not discounting the DA15, but I am NOT selling my 14 anytime soon.

germar

Last edited by germar; 11-14-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: added comment on da14
11-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #23

I have the DA14 as well, I really like it, something that hasn't been mentioned yet that's also very nice is that the focusing ring doesn't turn when AFing.
I use it wide open or stopped down just a little (f3.5 or so) , especially in close focusing situations where you can actually get some bokeh then, see this shot:

The f2.8 aperture also helps more precise manual focusing with a brighter viewfinder and shallower dof in the viewfinder.

That being said it IS way bigger and heavier than the 15mm, especially with the hood it is huge, so I end up storing the hood separately in my backpack most of the time. Also it is difficult to use the built-in flash as a fill flash with the lens because the barrel blocks the flash a little. (I have found a remedy for this, take your photo upside down

If I were to choose again I would probably choose the 15 for its size.
11-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #24
wll
Veteran Member

Your can't go wrong with either

I have both and they are both very nice lenses. Optical quality of each is better than I can nit-pick about.

Both are VERY well made and sharp as heck. Remember the 15mm is a 22.5mm in FF and the 14mm is a 21mm in FF, if that makes that big of a difference to you.

What I would love to see is something like a 11mm ...... I love wide angle stuff :-)

wll
11-15-2009, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

With this I can't agree. The DA 14 has a big rubber ring. Nothing with a rubber ring can possibly come close to a metal focusing ring.
If anything this feature is what sets it apart as a better-built lens. If you look at Pentax FA* lenses or Canon L lenses, they behave similarly in that the focus ring doesn't turn in AF mode, but you can easily switch to MF instantly (need one extra step for FA* lenses and their clutch) with a very damped MF feel. The DA14 has the same feature, and the manual focusing is easily better than all of my Limiteds except maybe the FA77. It is a solid chunk of metal.

Some people looking at the photozone test may be interested to know that the DA14 is not as good at close focus. I'm not sure how they test, but if they have a fixed size target requiring wide lenses to be tested at closer distances, this might explain why it seemingly didn't test out too great.
11-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
With complete respect for Kristoffen, the idea of shooting one handed conjures up images of kids waving their point-n-shoots at birthday parties and getting "action art" instead of sharp, well composed images. If you're happy with one handed shooting, you've got to have superhero forearms.
As I said, "unless I want extra steadyness". Shooting in the 1/200 range plus SR there's no need for a second hand to get steady shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
If anything this feature is what sets it apart as a better-built lens. If you look at Pentax FA* lenses or Canon L lenses, they behave similarly in that the focus ring doesn't turn in AF mode, but you can easily switch to MF instantly (need one extra step for FA* lenses and their clutch) with a very damped MF feel. The DA14 has the same feature, and the manual focusing is easily better than all of my Limiteds except maybe the FA77. It is a solid chunk of metal.
What has this got to do with anything? The DA15 also has the "focus clutch" capability.
11-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Hmmm.... I worked for several years as a news photog, and the first thing the old pros taught me was to put the camera body into as much contact as possible with my forehead/cheek, my right hand AND my left hand. The more flesh you had pressing in from three angles, the better chance of getting a solid shot. With complete respect for Kristoffen, the idea of shooting one handed conjures up images of kids waving their point-n-shoots at birthday parties and getting "action art" instead of sharp, well composed images. If you're happy with one handed shooting, you've got to have superhero forearms.

Oh, and not to totally hijack this thread, I've got the DA14 and I love the damn thing. I use it for landscapes and tight quarters interior stuff with existing light. Not discounting the DA15, but I am NOT selling my 14 anytime soon.

germar
with the way how technology works these days, it is possible to shoot with one hand and still come up with in-focus and sharp images without any traces of motion blur caused by camera shake.

sometimes you wonder how model/fashion photographers would just shoot with one hand at awkward angles and still come up with superb images. the principle of shooting with two hands had been a long time oldschool photography practice before the dawn of SR/IS/VR/OS or whatever shake reduction feature there is has ever been invented. not to mention mirror-up that helps a lot in reducing shake. shooting with two hands still hold true especially under slow shutterspeed or with brands that dont have SR feature on them. but with a faster shutterspeed, you have the luxury of just firing away without prejudice.
11-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Personally, I prefer the colour rendering of the 15mm (or the 12-24) to the 14mm but there isn't really a significant IQ difference in the 3. The 15mm won with me due to its size. It also shares 49mm filters with a number of my other lenses. Since I use it outdoors, the speed isn't really a factor for me. Dave
02-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would not discount either lens...both are very good for different situations.

Having both lenses I might humbly suggest that you try them in the store before you buy either. The advantages and disadvantages have been discussed in this thread but the experience of using the two lenses is quite different. The DA 14 is wider, closer focusing and gives a much brighter viewfinder image. These are the traits that I consider most important for most photographic situations. If you are using the lens for backpacking etc., the nod would go to the DA15 without question. IQ is nearly indistinguishable. That said, most of the memorable images i have shot in the past few years are with the DA 14. I can't say that yet of the DA 15. I bought the DA15 due to its diminutive size and have no regrets. If I could only pick one lens however, it would the the DA 14.
02-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the late reply there.

I already got the DA15, but there's a decent chance I might pick up the DA14 later on, as well.