Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 06:06 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Can't you just put some tape over the SDM contacts and it will use the screw drive automatically?
It doesn't work.

11-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #32
Veteran Member

20 Total Signatures ???????

No comments .....
11-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Signed.

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
20 Total Signatures ???????
No comments .....
And this adds value... HOW?

woof!
11-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Up to 32 now.
Still a long way to go.....

Thanks for putting this together Dave,

Tim

11-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Count me in.

suggest 3 approaches
-fix SDM failures currently under warranty
-provide extended warranty on SDM protection (maybe 3 or 5 years) just like the power train on automobile to restore customer confidence in purchasing SDM lens
-provde firmware upgrade to add screw drive option for SDM lens
11-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Ok I signed it already. Not that my SDM lenses failed but it's good to know that there is an option to use SDM or screw driver or not.
Anyway, isn't that's the reason we go with SLR instead of point and shoo camera? to have more control of our tools

BTW, have you posted this at DP Review Pentax SLR forum?
11-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #37
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Can't believe only 19 signatures ......
I haven't signed, and won't for the sentiments shared previously. I would much rather petition or solicit individual expressions of concern for SDM technology development to bolster Pentax's efforts on improving SDM reliability, robustness and speed.

To me it would be more plausible to see a lineup for quality DA* lenses that go the distance from now on and strengthen customer confidence than to continue producing flimsy SDM that inevitably fails and destines all DA* lenses to screwdrive.
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I haven't signed, and won't for the sentiments shared previously. I would much rather petition or solicit individual expressions of concern for SDM technology development to bolster Pentax's efforts on improving SDM reliability, robustness and speed.
I agree.

Having the choice to switch to screw drive with an SDM lens that supports both ways of AF, would be nice to have but it cannot be the answer to the SDM problems users are experiencing.

After all you are paying money for the SDM mechanism and one should be able to rely on it.

Allowing users to use the screw drive AF after the SDM has failed might even be counterproductive for those who want their SDM AF to be reliable. If less people send in their SDM lenses and there is less public anger about expensive lenses turning into MF lenses, there will be less pressure for Pentax to address the SDM issue however small or large it may be.

01-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #39
Damn Brit

The best way to send them a message is to stop buying the lenses.
01-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The best way to send them a message is to stop buying the lenses.
I agree. But Pentax also needs to know why people are not buying the lenses. So don't buy, if you feel that there is a large scale problem, but send a note to a Pentax official as well.
01-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #41
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I agree. But Pentax also needs to know why people are not buying the lenses. So don't buy, if you feel that there is a large scale problem, but send a note to a Pentax official as well.
I think Pentax are well aware there are issues with SDM they are just not being open about it. I'm pretty sure they browse forums as well. If they don't, they certainly would if
people stopped buying lenses.
01-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #42
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You want the optical quality of a 16-50 as well as its f/2.8 and WR but don't want to risk SDM failure.
Kind of a sad situation to be in - I opted in myself, because I place perceived risk lower in priority to its qualities, but it's pretty obvious many others don't share my confidence.

They're (consumer enthusiasts/amateurs) already not buying the lenses Gary. I'm not sure Pentax would get the message we want to send this way. Higher-end Pentaxians won't be relying on the 18-55 or going for the Sigma 18-50, they'll be going for something of higher caliber - the 16-50 is unrivaled in this regard and will still be bought even if for that reason. I'm keen to see Pentax improve rather than lose sales but what to do beyond writing to them over and over again?
01-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #43

While I did doubt a bit myself before taking a second plunge I agree with ash... if you want the benefits of the DA* lenses... you may need to take some risk...

I already had the 50-135 (no issues whatsoever... it was even sitting on its shelf unused for 1 month while my K20D was being repaired, and still works)...

I have read all of these threads... however, always seem the same... a few people complaining a lot... who seem to have had multiple bad lenses, a few who seem paranoid about having a bad lens... and the majority who say that theirs is ok... but with the panic they are worried also (my 50-135 is ok but I will say that the panic merchants have me worried also).

I decided that I had a higher probability of having a perfect lens than a defective one (I gather this from comparing the amount of happy owners vs. complainers).

I dont deny that some users have had issues, and I would like a longer guarentee to give me extra security I think the panic is somewhat exagerated... also, if it does break I will get it fixed, hopefully within warrenty (with this I will see I am only a enthusiastic amateur, pros likely cannot do the same).

Anyway, want the best Zoom lenses pentax has... you have little choice.
01-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
That's right... Let's start a fire, instead of complaining and whining in this forum about SDM failures like we all are doing. If we can all get hundreds and if not thousands of forum members to start submitting a request, we could stir things up and maybe have Pentax to actually do something about these SDM lenses. We know that if they can't fix the SDM, we could at least have them release a patch allowing screw-drive focusing.

EDIT: Here is the petition I have just made, thanks flippedgazelle for giving me this idea. Pentax SDM Firmware Petition
I signed the petition.
However, although I had to return a DA*16-50, the replacement has been working fine - fingers crossed.
Hope this will help moving Pentax out of their comfort zone.
01-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #45
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Y

They're (consumer enthusiasts/amateurs) already not buying the lenses Gary.
That's pretty much everyone.
I'm not sure Pentax would get the message we want to send this way. Higher-end Pentaxians won't be relying on the 18-55 or going for the Sigma 18-50, they'll be going for something of higher caliber - the 16-50 is unrivaled in this regard and will still be bought even if for that reason.
Who are few in number.

I'm keen to see Pentax improve rather than lose sales but what to do beyond writing to them over and over again?
I'd like to see them improve but as far as I'm concerned, they are not showing any signs of willingness to improve in that area. Coming clean would be a good start. Perhaps they are in denial or maybe the Ned Bunnells and John Carlsons just don't give a shit. In the US Ned Bunnell is too busy promoting Leica and John Carlson seems to be too busy with John Carlson.

Pentax are doing sterling work in improving Sigma and Tamron's sales figures.