Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #76
bfo

I've signed.

Every user on this forum should....

03-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have signed ... even though I have had no problems with my 4 SDM lenses.
10-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #78
Forum Member

I have signed. Was there any reaction from Pentax ?
Do you think that recently announced DC motor could be a base for next version DA* lenses ?
10-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #79

Photos: Albums
I signed too. For me the issue isn't short term reliability so much as lng term. a 3 or 5 or 10 year warranty is all well and good but my F50/1.7 is like 20 years old and still works. There should be a workaround or patch so a person could use potentially classic glass in the future when the SDM is dead and no parts are available.

01-27-2011, 03:35 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
Do you think that recently announced DC motor could be a base for next version DA* lenses ?
No, the DC motor is meant to go into budget lenses.

The high-end lenses reserve the privilege to have SDM failures.
01-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
No, the DC motor is meant to go into budget lenses.

The high-end lenses reserve the privilege to have SDM failures.
There is no fundamental design flaw with SDM.

Based on the SDM repair thread at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130429-diy-sup...or-repair.html, it appears to be a manufacturing tolerance issue with the motor itself that causes the motor to jam.

Calling SDM fundamentally flawed because initially released motors were prone to jamming is like calling the K-5 fundamentally flawed because one manufacturing batch had residue left on the sensor.

Something of interest - Is the SDM failure rate on newly sold lenses still high? (obviously hard to tell, since the time in use of such lenses is going to be much lower.)
01-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #82

I think the answer is YES Entropy, though QC issues with alignment/focusing on the 16-50 have gone down based on reports the motors still fail, as evidenced by Benjamin's post where he had his recently replaced SDM fail again at Harpaar's

01-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
There is no fundamental design flaw with SDM.
I didn't write anything to the contrary but as you are addressing the point, here are my comments:
  1. There seem to be way too many reports about SDM failures to make these unfortunate, but particular incidents.
  2. There are users who get their SDM lens back from repair only to have it fail again shortly after.
  3. There are users who went through a high number of failures. Peter Zack had three 16-50 zooms which all died.
  4. One hears a lot less about SDM prime failures. Maybe the small SDM motors are a bit too weak for zoom lenses.
All that makes me think that there is probably a fundamental issue.

Note that the Pentax SDM solution is dubbed "micro-motor" in Canon speak and Canon uses it for their budget line only. Their proper lenses receive the robust ring motor technology. I guess a ring motor makes a lens slightly bulkier and Pentax wants to keep their equipment as small as possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Calling SDM fundamentally flawed because initially released motors were prone to jamming is like calling the K-5 fundamentally flawed because one manufacturing batch had residue left on the sensor.
You are right, but unfortunately, the SDM failure stories don't seem to stop so it seems unlikely that the problem was caused by an initial batch of faulty motors.
01-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #84
Veteran Member

I just signed-- number 1121!

01-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Note that the Pentax SDM solution is dubbed "micro-motor" in Canon speak and Canon uses it for their budget line only. Their proper lenses receive the robust ring motor technology. I guess a ring motor makes a lens slightly bulkier and Pentax wants to keep their equipment as small as possible.
Because photographers want lighter lenses that are prone to breaking than slightly bulkier ones that are less likely to fail
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #86

Do we not have enough signatures to try send and make something happen??
01-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Do we not have enough signatures to try send and make something happen??
We have enough signatures to send, but I doubt much will happen for those of us with early SDM lenses.
01-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
We have enough signatures to send, but I doubt much will happen for those of us with early SDM lenses.
Are you implying that there has been an improvement in sdm since it was introduced?
01-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Even if the petition will be heard and is successful (it won't) then all you get is a firmware that allows screw drive with dead SDM lenses (if they've got an additional screw drive mechanism).
02-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #90
Forum Member

One more signature 1134 signed until now