Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Are you implying that there has been an improvement in sdm since it was introduced?
No, not necessarily. I had my 50-135 repaired a week or two before the warranty expired, and it is still (knock wood) working as it should. They replaced the SDM module completely after the "clean and adjust contacts" had no effect on the problem.

I am hoping that the module mine was refitted with is one that is not faulty, but I will let you know in a couple of years. Even if it fails again, I will keep the lens. I have no problem with manual focus, and the optics are superb. I will be disappointed, because for soccer and hockey, AF is very handy.

02-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #92
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
bump

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
That's right... Let's start a fire, instead of complaining and whining in this forum about SDM failures like we all are doing. If we can all get hundreds and if not thousands of forum members to start submitting a request, we could stir things up and maybe have Pentax to actually do something about these SDM lenses. We know that if they can't fix the SDM, we could at least have them release a patch allowing screw-drive focusing.

EDIT: Here is the petition I have just made, thanks flippedgazelle for giving me this idea. Pentax SDM Firmware Petition

1159 Total Signatures
02-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DC motor might be the response by Pentax. although still no confirmation or admission of SDM unreliability.
02-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #94
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
DC motor might be the response by Pentax. although still no confirmation or admission of SDM unreliability.
Meaning, that the old SDM is replaced with the DC (new SDM)?

If this is the case, it would be great for sales if Pentax just could say something about this.
The whole enthousiast/forum segment would then be confident in their investments and sales would go up.

Im one of many that wont buy anything before feeling safe about it. And i would defenitively buy a SDM lens if Pentax gave us a finger or two to suck on....

Dont want to be a negative mind about this but.... lets just hope DC holds up!

02-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #95

SDM does have a design flaw. The Pentax response noted that there was no higher repair rate than any other lenses under warranty. A slew of SDM failures occured, and continue to occur, out of warranty. I signed the petition some time ago. Pentax's failure to acknowledge the SDM problem has kept me from buying the K5 and additional lenses as I decide whether to change systems.
02-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
SDM does have a design flaw. The Pentax response noted that there was no higher repair rate than any other lenses under warranty. A slew of SDM failures occured, and continue to occur, out of warranty. I signed the petition some time ago. Pentax's failure to acknowledge the SDM problem has kept me from buying the K5 and additional lenses as I decide whether to change systems.
I believe its a matter of principle of what Pentax is trying to practice. if the lenses failed within their warranty period, then they would consider that there is a problem. if it occured after the warranty, they would say it's not their fault and you must pay for any repair done.
02-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
SDM does have a design flaw.
You are speculating.

02-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #98

When folks report three failed lenses in a row, that is not speculation. That is a flaw.
02-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #99
Veteran Member

When folks report three failed lenses in a row, that is not speculation. That is a flaw.
more than 2 is actually being referred to as an statistical anomaly.
02-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Bump to up the signature numbers (as a prospective 50-135mm buyer).
11-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Now that Ricoh has take over Pentax..... did anyone send this petition to them?
12-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #102
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Now that Ricoh has take over Pentax..... did anyone send this petition to them?
Well new SDM scored big on the R&D spendings poll:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/146454-wich-le...r-d-money.html
For wich you can still put in your votes.

Wich did find it's way to Pentax:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/161644-salon-de-la-photo.html
12-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #103

i signed. mine haven't broke and i hope it never will but while we're there, can we get aperture control while in video record mode -- or is this going to be such a hard features to implement we have to shelve out cash for the k-3
11-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #104
Veteran Member

I am resurrecting this because I am curious about motor failures. The 50- 135/ 2.8 is a really appealing lens to me but after reading the reviews, including ones where people have complained about being on their second and third motors, I am a little afraid to purchase. Any updates to this? Are all SDM motors prone to failure?
11-25-2013, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #105
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax claim to have fixed this problem, and lenses manufactured in the last 18 months should be fine.

Also of note: since this thread was started, a firmware hack has been published which allows users to disable the SDM and convert their DA*16-50 or DA*50-135 to nice reliable noisy screw drive. I did this to my second DA*16-50 when its SDM failed, and it still goes like a two bob watch.