Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
T In fact, years ago when Ford had the fiasco with failing tires on Explorers, fewer than 1% of those vehicles were affected - yet there was a recall.
Unfortunately for Firestone, Ford had the better lawyers. Most people seem to think it was a vehicle issue, since those tires were also sold on other vehicles without any problems. But, for the issue at hand, I get your point.

11-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a little different situation from the Firestone -Ford Explorer, in that no one is likely to die from an SDM failure. I just thnk that Pentax needs to put people's fears to rest and they can do it best by extending the warranties. In the long run, they would sell a lot more lenses.
11-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No more SDM lenses for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I have personally made a decision to never buy any SDM lenses because of all of the horror stories I've been hearing. A firmware update would probably help with my opinion of SDM lenses. Of course Pentax would probably only release updates for the k2*** and up, leaving me with my k10d and k100ds out in the cold. Oh well, I guess Sigma will get my lens money.
Same here. I have one and it is still working okay but from what I've read here and elsewhere, I would not buy another SDM. Besides, I like my prime lenses and I don't have to worry about the motors failing.
11-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
c'mon guys, we have 7 signatures - we need more!

11-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Unfortunately for Firestone, Ford had the better lawyers. Most people seem to think it was a vehicle issue, since those tires were also sold on other vehicles without any problems. But, for the issue at hand, I get your point.
Firestone passed the buck back to Ford claiming that they ran the tires under inflated in their specs to make for a smoother and quieter ride. The real issue was that those tires were a very agressive, deep lugged tread which isn't a good choice for high speed freeway driving and will heat up rapidly. The tire issue was an easy fix. The SDM issue with lenses is more like a failure of the transfer cases in 4WD vehicles, causing the vehicle to loose its ability to engage the front axles which was a problem with some Fords in the late 80's when the electronic push button 4WD engagement came out. After lots of failures, Ford converted the trucks back to a manual locking front hub. My 86 Ranger service truck at work was one of them. The lenses with SDM motors have developed a reputation for being an unreliable AF system and Pentax should address the issue.
11-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Firestone passed the buck back to Ford claiming that they ran the tires under inflated in their specs to make for a smoother and quieter ride. The real issue was that those tires were a very agressive, deep lugged tread which isn't a good choice for high speed freeway driving and will heat up rapidly. The tire issue was an easy fix. The SDM issue with lenses is more like a failure of the transfer cases in 4WD vehicles, causing the vehicle to loose its ability to engage the front axles which was a problem with some Fords in the late 80's when the electronic push button 4WD engagement came out. After lots of failures, Ford converted the trucks back to a manual locking front hub. My 86 Ranger service truck at work was one of them. The lenses with SDM motors have developed a reputation for being an unreliable AF system and Pentax should address the issue.
I agree with you. The tires of a car are replaced every year and are made to wear out and it's meant to be like that. The SDM failure of a lens in the other hand is a design flaw and was not meant to be like that and is not made to break down like that.
11-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think you guys (except for Yves) are missing the point of my bringing up the Ford/Firestone recall. The point is that even when only a tiny percentage of a product is affected by a design flaw, that is still grounds for recall.

LeDave, the only conventional street tires meant to be replaced every year are sh*tty Pep Boys ones.

11-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I don't understand the mechanics of the SDM system. How is an SDM motor different from a conventional motor that would be attached to the screw drive shaft?
11-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I signed. I'd love to put money into a lens like the 50-135, but I too am worried about a costly SDM failure.
11-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

C'mon guys, we have 16 signatures and need many more. Even if you don't have any SDM lenses, I think it's important for Pentax to know that users will band together to protest sub-standard equipment.
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
That's entirely possible, but it could be years before we see the ramifications. I don't think the WR will have much of an effect - after all, there are non-SDM WR lenses.
The screw drive should be just fine. The lens is fitted with it so those with cameras without SDM can foucs using the screw drive. Works fine on my MZ-S, after all.
11-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
That's right... Let's start a fire, instead of complaining and whining in this forum about SDM failures like we all are doing. If we can all get hundreds and if not thousands of forum members to start submitting a request, we could stir things up and maybe have Pentax to actually do something about these SDM lenses. We know that if they can't fix the SDM, we could at least have them release a patch allowing screw-drive focusing.

EDIT: Here is the petition I have just made, thanks flippedgazelle for giving me this idea. Pentax SDM Firmware Petition
I just put the 18th signature on the petition. My 50-135 is off at Pentax as we speak. I have the broken bearing problem I think as well as the flaky dismount/remount/dismount/remount/clean ahhh it works at last! SDM troubles. The lens even in manual focus feels "gritty". I sent my k10 in as well, but the problem was with one too many drops onto rocks, including one that bent me pretty well, so they denied warranty on the body, but are repairing the lens under warranty. .
11-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The screw drive should be just fine. The lens is fitted with it so those with cameras without SDM can foucs using the screw drive. Works fine on my MZ-S, after all.
Yes, and the screw drive is there for a reason; they wouldn't just put the screw-drive on there and expect you to not use it because of any problem that might occur. Also as said earlier, people have also been using screw-drive on their K10D's, if there was a problem then there would of had been a report a long time ago. The firmware is possible but Pentax just doesn't want to listen.
11-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Can't you just put some tape over the SDM contacts and it will use the screw drive automatically?
11-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Can't believe only 19 signatures ......