Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

I really, really, really wish it was Spring here, because a macro lens with this pedigree should be used to count the hairs on a bee's nose.

So, in the meantime, I'll just snap what I can, sorry for the boring subjects, hopefully the IQ this lens is capable of comes across:

both wide-open (f/2.8):

Crops of above:

f/2.8

Crop of above left (1/200s handheld):

f/2.8

Crop:

11-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #17

We Just met. Is "love at first sight" TMI for a lens?
11-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #18

I have Lester's twin brother - the Vivitar Series 1 105mm. It's one of the four lenses I purchased which was influenced by Jay's shots.

I have a soft spot for bokeh as you can see.

11-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice, Alex, love the color wash bokeh, sweet.

Everything's still dead here. And winter doesn't even officially start for another month. Depressing.

f/4

In this leaf shot, I just pointed up & shot randomly to check exposure histogram, and looked at the detail captured later (wind was blowing heavily, but shutter speed was about fast enough)

Crop:

12-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

OK ... thoroughly impressed with the above leaf shot there ... that detail is simply amazing.
12-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
OK ... thoroughly impressed with the above leaf shot there ... that detail is simply amazing.

Man - You're not kidding Simon - that's sharp!

jsherman - Where around here did you find a leaf with green still on it in November?!?!?
Only 4 months or so until we get at least a sniff of Spring - maybe.....

Tim
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
Man - You're not kidding Simon - that's sharp!

jsherman - Where around here did you find a leaf with green still on it in November?!?!?
Only 4 months or so until we get at least a sniff of Spring - maybe.....

Tim
Thx Simon & Tim.

Tim, that's in a rock garden near Lake Harriet. I see you're from MN, where do you shoot usually?

12-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Thx Simon & Tim.

Tim, that's in a rock garden near Lake Harriet. I see you're from MN, where do you shoot usually?

The bulk of my shooting seems to be at one of my kids' sporting events, on our once-a-year big family vacation, or at our cabin in northern Wisconsin. Although last weekend I knew I HAD to go shoot SOMETHING - what with winter coming and all - so I ran over to Minnehaha Falls and messed around for an hour or so.

How about you?

Tim
01-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hi all... i just received my clone of lester... in brand new condition......
for all those who have 'dined', how about your experiences and tips for
using this beautiful piece of metal and glass.....
curious as to those who have 'shot' other than macro with this lens....
what say you my fellow forum friends....
regards and thanks, dave m
01-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Congrats--which specific lens did you get? I ended up with my Vivitar Series 1 105mm Macro when I jumped into an ebay auction late and ended up with it for a great price. Simply put, these are outstanding lenses whatever the application. I have used it for shots of my family when I have been outside doing some macro work, and it really can produce beautiful people shots. It is not just a macro lens. Its bokeh is very smooth, and the lens is super sharp (some may say too sharp for portrait work, but I never found it "too sharp" for that use). Just a great lens all-around.
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
Congrats--which specific lens did you get? I ended up with my Vivitar Series 1 105mm Macro when I jumped into an ebay auction late and ended up with it for a great price. Simply put, these are outstanding lenses whatever the application. I have used it for shots of my family when I have been outside doing some macro work, and it really can produce beautiful people shots. It is not just a macro lens. Its bokeh is very smooth, and the lens is super sharp (some may say too sharp for portrait work, but I never found it "too sharp" for that use). Just a great lens all-around.
i got the lester dine version.... ebay purchase... seller (100%) told me he'd purchased 4 of these a while back... the one i got is virtually brand new, even has the paperwork that came with it..... i just got a new k-x, but looking forward to shooting this new lens with the k200d as well........ lba strikes again.... but a reasonable investment....
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster

This lens - the Lester Dine, Viv S1 105, Viv 100 2.8, and Kiron versions - all basically exactly the same optically - can be used for general telephoto and portrait use nicely.

In fact, I think this lens feels like a Cz 100 in the hand. I know that's heresy to Zeiss owners, but I've used a Cz on my Nikon briefly and this Lester Dine is almost as nice. Maybe a touch more CA with the Viv/Lester/Kiron, but the Cz is not CA-free either.

I used it for many different applications in the three incarnations I've owned it in now (Viv S1 105, Viv 100 2.8, Lester,) and it's just a joy to shoot.

01-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #28
Banned

Photos: Albums
I was wondering: since Lester A Dine currently uses the Sigma 105mm macro, would that make the Sigma part of this club?
01-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I was wondering: since Lester A Dine currently uses the Sigma 105mm macro, would that make the Sigma part of this club?

NO!! Just like the later poorly-built and soft autofocus "Vivitar Series 1"'s are impostors also.

Although the Sigma 105 is a pretty nice lens by itself.... It's just not really a Lester.
03-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #30
Banned

Photos: Albums
Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5

A couple of shots.

First is handheld, so not as sharp as it should be - my hands aren't that steady. But it's my first shot with this lens and I like the colors.

f/8:

Second is on tripod, part of my old camera shots, a 3 second exposure.

f/11:

It's the exposure calculator of a Zenit EM camera.