Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #16

I had a similar problem with an M50 f2 - it turned out to be dried grease and worn plastic on the inside of the aperture ring (where the little spring-loaded ball bearing presses into the grooves to hold it at a given setting).

On that lens I noticed that there were two locations for the spring, so I simply swapped it into the other hole. It's still a bit notchy but it works reasonably well now. I've yet to try it on my K-m as I bought it cheaply to replace a missing kit lens on an MV1. I should probably give it a try before I test the MV1 with a film, as that way I'll know if the lens is functioning properly.

The whole problem would have been avoided had Pentax used a metal aperture ring as on the M50mm f1.7 - this simply doesn't wear as much, and the two I've had in my hands still click precisely between apertures.

11-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Focusing stopped down is no big deal, especially in that sort of situation where he isn't going to be stopped way down anyway. Here are oodles of dance shots I recently did indoors with Takumar lenses both focused and shot stopped down to f5.6.

Since he is wanting something faster than f4 then he would be stopped down to no more than f2.8, presumably. Even stopped down to f2.8 the viewfinder would be brighter than some more modern lenses (especially if we consider zooms).

For what he says he wants to do and at the settings he wants to do it, a Takumar fills the bill as well as the A lenses and beats the M lenses. I'd suggest an SMC Takumar 55/1.8, a genuine Pentax adapter, and use the remaining half of his budget for a Coke and a hot dog at the ball game.
no argument, but still within his budget and the coke and hot dog is the 50mm F1.4 super tak. these usually go for about $90 from memory
11-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #18

Original Poster
After some more reading about full manual lenses from the sticky and reading the advice here I concluded it was not that much of a deal to leave the aperture at f/1.7-2 and use Tv (i.e full manual). Tonight I picked up a mint SMC-M f/1.7 for $25 locally and am going to give it a whirl. I guess its all part of the learning curve to try something and find out for yourself what does and doesn't work.

Thanks for all the help.

Jon.
11-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #19

Good choice, that lens has deservedly excellent reviews. Plus if you don't get on with it you'll be able to sell it on without losing anything, the market seems pretty steady for Pentax MF lenses.

I was amazed by how tiny the 50mm looked on my Km compared to the kit zoom. Almost turns it into a compact!