Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #1

Tammy 70-200 versus Sigma 70-200

I am going to rent one of the above to shoot some of my sons hockey games. I have looked through some of the threads and it looks like personal preference is the only difference between the 2. Anyone have any views to the contrary? The Tammy is significantly less expensive than the Sigma.

11-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #2

DP review did a test of those lenses in Canon mount, if that's of any help.
11-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #3

I have the HSM version of the Sigma, and find the auto focus on my K10d to be surprisingly fast and accurate. I'm admittedly pretty much of an amateur , but it has made a huge improvement in the number of keepers when my kids get to running. Some will say that the IQ of the Tammy is way above the Sigma, but in my use the Sigma does an excellent job.
11-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've done some research on both and from what I've concluded:

The Sigma has faster AF
The Sigma has HSM focusing motor
The Sigma has a more accurate AF in low-light (Less hunting)
The Tamron is lighter (Not like that matters much)
The Tamron has better IQ than both the Sigma and Canon 70-200 (Completely compensates for it's poor AF)

So the thing is are you willing to sacrifice better AF for better IQ? The Tamron hunts a lot in low-light from what I've researched and it AF slower than the Sigma and it's also loud without a built-in motor.

Personally I would go for the Tamron 70-200 over the Sigma any day because the IQ of the Tamron has surplus what the Sigma has to offer which is superior AF. But to me superior IQ is the most important aspect of the lens and even with poor AF from the Tamron, I can live up with that and it's not the end of everything, in the end IQ is still IQ and that's what I want. To me an autofocus lens is just an autofocus lens and as long as it doesn't move at turtle speed, then that's all I need.

11-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My own reviews of each under stressed conditions are here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/69207-request-...0-f-2-8-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/72242-sigma-70...l-iq-test.html

My personal finding - Sigma's faster AF is not all that much faster. HSM is not compatible with any current TCs available, whereas Tamron's AF is. The Tamron's IQ is significantly better both in sharpness, microcontrast and colours, especially at wider apertures.

This said, the older Sigma 70-200s (EX DG and non-DG versions) are absolutely excellent, and better than the newer HSM version in every facet.
11-15-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

how do the EX DG and non-DG compare to each other and the tamron? Do those older versions have the AF speed of the HSM?
11-16-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
mixtri

Hello guys and thanks for your contributions above.
Manual focusing for me is becoming a quite difficult. I am looking to get rid of my manual prime lenses in favor of a decent fast zoom. I have come up with a list of two candidates that is within my price range. The Tammy 70-200 2.8 and Sigma 70-200 2.8.
Performance-wise which of the two lenses gives the sharpest detail wide-open at 70mm, 100, 135 & 200mm)?

I use the K20d, and the FAJ 75-300 lens, which IMO has quite a good IQ and reasonably fast and accurate AF in good conditions, but there has been several occasions where I have failed to get the image I wanted because the K20D/FAJ's AF wasn't good enough on the day, as it hunts quite a bit especially in low-light and high contrasty situations. So perhaps the Sigma would be a good bet here. But as already pointed out the Tamron has the better IQ which is also very important factor for me. Given my shooting style, which should I choose?
Also, any alternatives with similar price range to the tammy and sigma would be much appreciated.
On another note, I'm also thinking of upgrading to the K7, but wonder if it is a wise move at this time. I would like to know if Pentax
1. Plan to produce a new DSLR camera model, maybe FF and or successors to the K7 and or K20d models?
2. If yes above, then when?

Last edited by mixtri; 11-16-2009 at 04:39 AM.
11-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mixtri Quote
Performance-wise which of the two lenses gives the sharpest detail wide-open at 70mm, 100, 135 & 200mm)?
The Tamron w/o a doubt.
They both can have issues w/ BF/FF, so be sure to find a place that will let you exchange them...
11-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #9

Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 VS Pentax 50-135 F/2.8

The Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 has slow AF like the Pentax 50-135 F/2.8?
I prefer the IQ of the Tamron over the Sigma, but if it is so slow I add a bit of money and buy the Pentax! i would like your opinion
11-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would get the Sigma if you want:
  • near-silent focus
  • anytime manual focus override
since those features are available with the HSM.

On all other counts, based on the Tamron I owned and everything I've read, I'd get the Tamron. I really think that Le Dave and others are overstating it's focusing slowness - at least on the K20D and K-7 with their bigger focusing drive motors, this lens focused very quickly (much much faster than the 50-135mm pentax - I did a head to head comparison of the two). When it hunts, it hunts through the entire range witch takes a while, but it doesn't hunt any more often than any other f/2.8 lens in my experience. And it's bleeding sharp!
11-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Note that:

a) Several users (including myself) have had the HSM die on their Sigma IIs.
b) Several users have had the aperture stick on their Tamrons.

It's sort of a tossup, but the Tammy's IQ is definitely impressive.
11-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Good points DWB... I didn't mention them because it seemed a bit of a tossup re. quality control there. I had the aperture stick on my Tamron - it was repaired under warranty, but it took quite a while (a couple months if I remember correctly). This would have been unacceptable if I were a working pro who needed that lens for sure... However, if this is a hobby for someone - as it is for most of us, the six year warranty of the Tamron is a pretty comforting thing. For my uses, the Tamron wins in Pentax mount. In Canon mount I have yet to aquire a 70-200mm, and I hear that the Tamron is slow focusing compared to the Canon USM, so I'm a bit torn as to which to choose (and I can't afford either right now).
11-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My Sigma's actually in for a second time now, getting the front element replaced due to bubbling between the glass.
11-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
My Sigma's actually in for a second time now, getting the front element replaced due to bubbling between the glass.
Serial# 102xxxx?
Two of my samples came that way...returned them both.
I'm still looking for an acceptable 70-200/2.8
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty sad how it's hard to get a good 70-200 whichever way you go.
The Tamron doesn't have as many common defects, but that sticky aperture lever is a real downer. Once it's discovered, though, it should be sorted out by a single trip to the repairers.