Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #1

Zeiss lens

I spotted a Carl Zeiss lens for sale in a second hand shop for $99.00.
Looks in good shape.
It is a 24 mm f2.8 MC Macro Jenna AIS.
Does anyone know if it will fit on a K100?
Or what cameras will it fit?
I think this lens might be a bargain but if it does not fit why buy it.
Thanks in advance for any info.

11-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sylvanite Quote
I spotted a Carl Zeiss lens for sale in a second hand shop for $99.00. Looks in good shape. It is a 24 mm f2.8 MC Macro Jenna AIS. Does anyone know if it will fit on a K100? Or what cameras will it fit? I think this lens might be a bargain but if it does not fit why buy it. Thanks in advance for any info.
Zeiss has a reputation for making extremely good lenses and it does make lenses for Pentax cameras (k-mount) as well as many other mounts. So you'd have to determine if this lens is a K-mount lens. I can't tell from what you said.

Take your camera to the shop and see. Be careful that you don't accidentally stick the lens on, tighten it, and then discover that it doesn't come off! If you take one of your Pentax lenses, you can take the Pentax lens off the camera and look at its business end side by side with the Zeiss. (By "business end" I mean the part that attaches to the body of the camera.) They should look very similar.

I'd be tempted to pay $99 for a Zeiss lens sight unseen. But I don't know. Perhaps it's a piece of garbage.

Does it look like THIS:

Carl Zeiss Jena 24mm f/2.8 MC Macro Lens Photo Gallery by Hidde Wallaart at pbase.com

That lens is (obviously) an Olympus mount, not a Pentax mount. But the front of the lens would probably look identical. It's the mounting end that's different. I Googled "carl zeiss 24mm jena" and found quite a few interesting links. Here's another one:

Re: Carl Zeiss Jena 24mm F2.8 for PK, your opinion/experience?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Good luck.

Will
11-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

By the way, this thread should probably have been started in the Lenses forum....
11-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

"AIS"=> sounds like Nikon mount.

11-17-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

yep AIS is nikon..
11-17-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Since I understand that some Nikon lenses still fit Pentax it might still be worth while looking at and trying.
Although I do understand that it isn't a perfect fit, and the lens might be limited in some ways.
11-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that this lens was made in Japan (allegedly by Sigma) and is not a true CZJ lens from the former DDR. It is more similar to the various generic "made in Japan" lenses of similar vintage than to the German-made item. As such, the price might be a little high.

Steve

Edit: I did a little more research. The "Made in Japan" Carl Zeiss Jena lenses were made by Sigma in various camera mounts and rebranded as Zeiss by the owner of the CZ Jena brand name in the UK for distribution there. True CZJ lenses were made in mounts to fit cameras made in the DDR and have signature Zeiss model names (e.g. the Flektogon 20/2.8). These Sigma rebadged lenses have a rather poor reputation and should not be confused with the excellent Zeiss lenses currently made in Japan by Cosina.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-17-2009 at 02:37 PM.
11-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
sylvanite

Thanks everyone for all your information and research.
I am going back and have another look at this lens and take some pics to post to see it has the proper connection for a Pentax and post it here for further comments.
Thanks again.

11-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sylvanite Quote
Thanks everyone for all your information and research.
I am going back and have another look at this lens and take some pics to post to see it has the proper connection for a Pentax and post it here for further comments.
Thanks again.
If it says Zeiss Jena and was also made in Japan and is in Pentax K-mount, it is not a Zeiss product and is probably not worth more than about $20 USD. All true Jena lenses were made in East Germany.

Steve