Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #1

Pentax K-x Kit Lenses

I am looking at buying my first DSLR and I'm going to start with the Pentax K-x. One reason is I have 3 Super Takumar lenses I want to use.

My questions is based on the Kit Lenses. Do you feel these are a good lens, or would buying just the body and going with a Sigma 18-55 be better?

Also, is there a big difference between the sigma DC 18-50 and the Pentax K-x kit 18-55? Or would I have to step up to the Sigma EX DC 18-50?

11-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you haven't already looked, check out the review database, you can see what people's experiences are with your specific lenses and the lenses you may want to buy:

Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

Super Takumars are fun to use and typically are great IQ wise but you will need a M42 adapter.

There are 4 Sigma 18-50mm lenses in the review database, the non EX one gets not so great reviews and the others are significantly more expensive. The DA L 18-55mm is quite good, equal to the DA II 18-55mm lens in the database optically - I recommend you try it out and see how you like it, first.

As usual, with most lenses, stopping down the aperture one stop or so will help out the image quality, especially at the ends of the range (18mm, 55mm).
11-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #3

If you are used to takumar lenses the kit lens, especially that of the k-x which doesn't have a metal mount will feel very plastic fantastic. It is also a lot slower (to get the best quality it needs to be stopped down to f8-f11), but because you're able to use higher iso speeds and slower shutter speeds much easier than on film that will be less of a problem.
It is a nice lens to have however, and to explore the functions of the new camera with. It's so cheap (when I bought my k-x it was cheaper as a kit with the 18-55 than body only, now it's 30 euro's) that you should buy it anyway.
11-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 seems to have pretty good reviews, as does the Pentax DA 16-45 f4. You really need to be able to get to at least 18mm as far as width and the kit lens is the cheapest way to do it, although as mentioned above, it is a little slower than other lenses out there. It is a nice, light lens that performs well if stopped down a stop or so. I guess it all really depends on what you are going to do and what you are willing to spend.

11-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The main reason to upgrade from the kit lens would be if you anticipate that you'd need f/2.8 and are willing to spend more and carry a larger/heavier lens to get it. I prefer using small primes when I want f/2.8 or better, personally.
11-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the replies. My main goal right now (while learning).. is to take photos of my kids, just doing everyday growing up. It is going to be mostly a nice family photo camera.