Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

pentax smc 35-105mm repair

I have such lens with non-working focusing ring.
I partly disassembled it without much success.
If anyone have repair manual, parts list or repaired such lens or are just owner of one, you are welcome with suggestions.
I don't know were to put white plastic sleeve and I also want to look at lens with upped rubber ring. As it looks like focusing pins are absent, but I don't know how it is possible.
Could provide some photos, if you wish.

Last edited by tr13; 11-17-2009 at 12:09 PM.
11-17-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The A or the F version ?
11-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, this is A version. Good lens, so I really want to repair itnsooner then later.
I heard about Eric guy who makes repairs and made few 35-105mm lenses.
11-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the A 35-105mm is definitely worth saving!

11-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Yes, the A 35-105mm is definitely worth saving!
And I am trying to do this and compare to my Vivitar 28-90mm (this is my sharpest lens in this range).

If any owner read this, please shift rubber ring up and make few photos, I am especially interested in pins inside L shaped cut-outs.
11-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
And I am trying to do this and compare to my Vivitar 28-90mm (this is my sharpest lens in this range).

If any owner read this, please shift rubber ring up and make few photos, I am especially interested in pins inside L shaped cut-outs.
If I was at home, I could make a picture, but now the best I can help is that you post a picture of what you think is the problem.
I have taken apart quite a lot of lenses ( not the A 35-105) and the zooms of that generation are generally build in the same way.
11-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tomorrow I'll make some photos, so they could be useful to anyone repairing this lens.
I also think that zooms of that era are quite different in internal design, especially 35-105mm.
Simplest one I have is Exakta 28-70mm and most complicated Vivitar 28-90mm.

Last edited by tr13; 11-18-2009 at 11:49 AM.
11-19-2009, 04:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some photos during disasembly.
Attached Images

11-19-2009, 05:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some more photos
Attached Images

11-19-2009, 05:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What did you really mean, focussing does not work, or zooming does not work.
Focussing is generally done by only moving the front group, and you had to move the front group from the focussing heliocoid to get to the state in the last picture.
As far as I can see, the short copper strips are for setting infinity focus endstop.
Where the white ring goes, I do not know, but should be easy to find out.
11-19-2009, 05:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is some description:

From first series of photos it is clear that my lens do not have focus pins, only macro pins (they also fix infinity focus as I understand).

How to disassemble.
0) Set lens to shortest macro distance and longest zoom.
1) Shift rubber ring up.
2) Unscrew two screws on bottom of focus ring. Do not attempt to tighten them even a little, as their heads will be damaged. You can see damaged head in my photo.
3) Remove four screws holding macro pins (they are unjustable btw). So, photo all stages.
4) Look at pre-last picture, unscrew these screws that are holding inner front group ring.
5) Somethere here you'll be able to unscre front lens group (use clockwise turn to unscrew).
6) Remove inner ring. Look for plastic sleeve, it is somethere between inner ring and outer shell, I believe.
7) You can pull focus ring up now, use some force as it have two bronze sleeves. May be you'll need to remove other bronze things near focus pins, but I don't think that you need to do it.
8) You'll get something similar to last picture.

I still can't propertly assemble it. Inner ring is very tight after assembly, not smooth.
Today also lost positions of macro pins :-) Unable to screw front lens group back (I did few similar lenses and it is always quite hard, but here it is especially hard).
I think that you need to screw front lens with its inner ring together and fix ring only after that.

I also need to know that kind of lubricant could be used on this lenses (auto ones are preferable as they are easy to get).

Last edited by tr13; 11-19-2009 at 05:28 AM.
11-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
What did you really mean, focussing does not work, or zooming does not work.
Focussing is generally done by only moving the front group, and you had to move the front group from the focussing heliocoid to get to the state in the last picture.
As far as I can see, the short copper strips are for setting infinity focus endstop.
Where the white ring goes, I do not know, but should be easy to find out.
Focusing do not work. In fact after I got the lens I focused by moving front group by hand. And it worked.
But these pins are for macro focusing range (by shifting focus ring up) and they move second group.
I still unable to find there to put this white ring.
Hope that some owner help me this that :-)
11-19-2009, 06:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
3) Remove four screws holding macro pins (they are unjustable btw). So, photo all stages.

4) Look at pre-last picture, unscrew these screws that are holding inner front group ring.
These macro pins are also used for focus, if I remember correctly, you have to shift the focusring forward for macro range.
When it is in the normal focus range, the focus ring drives the inner ring, and that moves the front group.
11-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right.
Now look at pre-last photo. You can see that my lens do not have any pins that drive inner ring. You can see cut out in the right part of photo, but no pins at all. Some remnants are still visible, but they are quite thin and I don't know how it could not be common problem of such zoom. I think that lens falled at this just cut both pins.
Otherall lens constructions look much worse then third party zooms of that era.
Smoothness of focus is archieved only by front group threads and they are small and far from focus ring. Normally front group is directly connected to focus ring and threads are much wider.
I still hope to see photos of this pins on normally working lens.
11-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

problem already solved ?
Otherwise I will strip the rubber of my 35-105.