Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shking up my collection

I have a K10D with the following lenses
DA 12-24
DA 18-55
DA 50-200
FA50 1.4

I was thinking about replacing the 18-55 with a DA* 16-50 and the 50-200 with a DA* 50-135 and possibly getting a DA 55-300

IQ, aperture and WR are the reasons I am looking at the two DA* lenses.

I don't have any specific types of photography that I am into, I generally use my DSLR system as a P&S.

Thoughts? Good move or a mistake?

11-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd say it's a mistake. If you're using your camera as a point and shoot, I don't think you really are so invested in photography as to be extremely sensitive to fine differences in image quality. Most people on this forum would say there is an enormous difference between the kit lens and the DA* 16-50mm, as well as between the DA 50-200mm and the DA* 50-135mm (and I'd agree with them). But most other people would not care about the difference--indeed, they would not notice it. (My wife repeatedly, an nervously!, wondered what it was that I was after in buying and then selling so many lenses... She would swear she could not see any difference between the output of primes and that of the kit lens. She doesn't understand my need to have a system that works for me--and not only IQ-wise.) Do you intend to make very large prints? Do you have a large--above 22"--non-TN screen? If yes, then maybe it is worth paying the high price for these lenses, but it would amaze me to learn about the existence of a pixelpeeper who's using his/her dlsr in the P mode.

P.S. For 'singing in the rain' you can now have the new WR 18-55 and 50-200.
P.P.S. And, btw, you have quite a fine collection of lenses. I'd like to afford a DA 12-24--but maybe after I'm done with my dissertation

Last edited by causey; 11-17-2009 at 06:16 PM.
11-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, I am usually fiddling around with Av and TAv modes but because I can never wrap my head around what settings I need for different scenes, most of my stuff looks like it came out of a P&S.
11-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
most of my stuff looks like it came out of a P&S.
what do you mean? P&S cameras have lower image quality: much less detail, a lot of noise... but a good composition shows itself in any kind of picture, be it taken with a dslr or a P&S.

11-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #5

I too would love to have the DA12-24.

I personally feel that unless you're the outdoors type, then WR might be over-rated. But I agree it is nice to have.

So with that in mind, I second the suggestion of getting the 18-55WR - this has the same optics as the 18-55II, but with added weather sealing, right? But if you can live without weather sealing, then keep the DA18-55 and get the Tamron 28-75 or Sigma 24-60 for when you need a faster short zoom and/or better IQ.

I agree that you can outright replace the DA50-200 with the DA55-300.

The DA*50-135 makes an excellent portrait lens, from an IQ standpoint there is nothing to complain about.
11-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, in fact WR is probably my main reason for looking at the DA* lenses, plus the wider aperture. We get a lot of rain here so it would be nice to have a lens that I can use for things like the Christmas parade, etc... Wider aperture for lower light shots would be nice.
11-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Yes, in fact WR is probably my main reason for looking at the DA* lenses, plus the wider aperture. We get a lot of rain here so it would be nice to have a lens that I can use for things like the Christmas parade, etc... Wider aperture for lower light shots would be nice.
In a about 3-4 months K-x will be quite cheap... Its sensor could satisfy your low light needs. And I guess future cameras will have even better sensors. If IQ is not your primary concern, then spending so much money wouldn't make you accordingly happier. Or so I think.
11-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
In a about 3-4 months K-x will be quite cheap...
Have you held it back to back with the K10D? I played with one and it really does feel like a kid's toy. Not to mentioned not weathersealed, which is partly why I want the DA* lens.

11-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was suggesting two bodies for two purposes. But it's also true I'm a 'minimalist': I prefer small, light, unobtrusive.
11-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two bodies? Now that's just crazy talk

The only problem with that for me is that I would want the better night time capabilities for winter events like Christmas parades, etc... the problem with that is it tends to be raining at the same time.

I like the fact that my K10D feels like a weapon. Solid, robust. I don't think even the K7 stacks up to it.

Thanks for your input!
11-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

then perhaps the DA* 16-50 is right for you.