Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Hin, is this your shot? It's perfect. The black/black/shiny just makes me want
to go out right now and get a "Ricoh" t-shirt made.
Hey Jay, it is not my picture. That is a superb shot on the Ricoh xr-p by a flickr member by the name of projection in flickr and he uses a Konica Minolta DiMage A1, a popular bridge camera in its time. It is an artistic view of the Rioch xr-p camera that I bump into in researching Ricoh cameras that take k mount lenses.

I use my used copy of Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 for product shots on my MX and I am finishing up my 1st roll of b&w film. Not sure where to get it developed.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-25-2009 at 06:15 PM.
11-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #47
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
. . . and sorry to hear about your friend
Thank you.

Hinman - sorry to hijack your thread.

My wife and I went to church and school from age 4, college with her, etc. Just heard they suspect a pulmonary embolism in her sleep last night. Later in life she had completed Divinity School and her Discernment, and was ordained an Episcopal minister (priest, if one is high Church), and had just completed service as our interim Rector for two years.

My wife had had lunch with her Wednesday. They had discussed her officiating at our childrens' weddings some day. Etc - that kind of friend.

Quite a shocking turn - tell your friends you love them every time you part. Do it - don't be shy about it.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-25-2009 at 09:15 PM.
11-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thank you.

Hinman - sorry to hijack your thread.

My wife and I went to church and school from age 4, college with her, etc. Just heard they suspect a pulmonary embolism in her sleep last night. Later in life she had completed Divinity School and her Discernment, and was ordained an Episcopal minister (priest, if one is high Church), and had just completed service as our interim Rector for two years.

My wife had had lunch with her Wednesday. They had discussed her officiating at our childrens' weddings some day. Etc - that kind of friend.

Quite a shocking turn - tell your friends you love them every time you part. Do it - don't be shy about it.
No worry, I feel for your pain. Sometime, I make an excuse in my LBA behavior based on life stories from seeing life and death in my family and friends' circle.

I mean that in a good way that we live our lives to the fullest that we know how. Be the best that we can be in treating our friends with passion and circle them with sincere gratitude, love and offer blessings whenever we find the opportunity. And we leave this earth in peace with no regrets in how we treat our families and friends.

Words can't help with your loss but a blessing in thoughtful prayers for you and your loss friend will hopefully lift their spirits up in time of loss.

Warmest,
Hin
11-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
No worry, I feel for your pain. Sometime, I make an excuse in my LBA behavior based on life stories from seeing life and death in my family and friends' circle.

I mean that in a good way that we live our lives to the fullest that we know how. Be the best that we can be in treating our friends with passion and circle them with sincere gratitude, love and offer blessings whenever we find the opportunity. And we leave this earth in peace with no regrets in how we treat our families and friends.

Words can't help with your loss but a blessing in thoughtful prayers for you and your loss friend will hopefully lift their spirits up in time of loss.

Warmest,
Hin
What he said...

Steve

11-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I too have gotten carried away and succumbed to LBA.
I mean, how many 50mm lenses do I need? (50mm A1.2, FA50 1.4, 55mm Cosina 1.2, 50mm A2.0, 50mm M2.0)

Well, I kinda figured out an LBA cure - get a Leica! You'll find the prices are so $$$ that LBA is managed quite nicely. Imagine, 10K for a lens! Or, how about 1k just for that 50mm f2.0? Someday I'll get that Leica M. For now, I'm waiting to get my CL.

Hin- if you really want that small pkg, check out the Leica CL or M's; I think your LBA will get cured. Unfortunately, it'll get replaced with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). To really cure the GAS/LBA, get the full frame digital M9 with a Noctilux!
11-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #51
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentHassyKon Quote
Or, how about 1k just for that 50mm f2.0?
You can get Leica R Summicron 50mm f/2 for about $350 USD on ebay. I did and it's a wonderful lens on my Pentax K7. The Leica to Pentax (Leitax) mount is about 70 Euros. Conversion takes 5 minutes and is easy as.
11-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #52
Lens Buying Addict

Warmest,
Hin
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said...

Steve
Thank you both. I guess we're entering that part of life now. Irene is in her heaven, I am certain.
11-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #53
Site Supporter

I too have gotten carried away and succumbed to LBA.
I mean, how many 50mm lenses do I need? (50mm A1.2, FA50 1.4, 55mm Cosina 1.2, 50mm A2.0, 50mm M2.0)

Well, I kinda figured out an LBA cure - get a Leica! You'll find the prices are so $$$ that LBA is managed quite nicely. Imagine, 10K for a lens! Or, how about 1k just for that 50mm f2.0? Someday I'll get that Leica M. For now, I'm waiting to get my CL.

Hin- if you really want that small pkg, check out the Leica CL or M's; I think your LBA will get cured. Unfortunately, it'll get replaced with GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). To really cure the GAS/LBA, get the full frame digital M9 with a Noctilux!
Or get a Voigtlander Bessa or Zeiss Ikon and stock the shelves with Cosina-made glass and vintage LTM stuff. Much cheaper, but still plenty of expense to put you in the poor house!

Steve

11-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
You can get Leica R Summicron 50mm f/2 for about $350 USD on ebay. I did and it's a wonderful lens on my Pentax K7. The Leica to Pentax (Leitax) mount is about 70 Euros. Conversion takes 5 minutes and is easy as.
Just to clarify, I was talking about Leica M mount....., Rangefinder, not SLR
The Leica R is another beast altogether. Somehow, Leica R lense are valued much less than their M counterparts.

Of course, one can get the 43mm in Leica Thread Mount also
11-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #55
Site Supporter

...Somehow, Leica R lense are valued much less than their M counterparts...
Yep, ain't no love for the Leica R

Steve
11-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Stevebrot,
Silly as it may seem, unemployement can be a good thing living where you do--I grew up there (23 years). Tomorrow hit the Ridgefield Refuge where you don't need much for telephoto length for the semi-tame wading birds and rodents--muskrats, nutria etc. Chance for otters and I've had mink practically charge the truck then put on great shows at close range. Tame young hawks occasionally too. Neat old oak trees on misty days etc. Just avoid the hunting days on this waterfowl refuge. If you want to hike for more nature (though less critters) the Carty unit of the refuge North of Ridgefield can be great fun, but I've always enjoyed the South end auto tour near Ridgefield High School.
East Fork of the Lewis River--Moulton Falls area or even Sunset Falls with good truck to get there in wacky weather for fun rocks and reflection pools. My dad just sold his cabin at Munn Falls a few months ago (just upstream from Lucia Falls) so I'm not there as much any more. Bring your steelhead gear this time of year.
Col. R. Gorge can be surprisingly nice for shooting once the leaves drop allowing some light to enter those dark side canyons and under what is usually dark understory area.
Shoot like mad during the annual silver thaws--ice storms. Gosh I've done well in my mother's yard out near Battleground during ice storms.
Should have some migrating Whistling Swans out in LaCenter but you'll need mondo telephoto for them.
And you ask sarcastically about "stuff" other than lenses to get addicted too--yeah, no kidding...Vancouver is drug supply central sometimes making Portland look like a prim and proper town--as long as you avert your eyes from the heroin addicts shooting up at the drinking fountains downtown--using that clean water for mixer--sheesh.
Have fun with all the free time. I really enjoy shooting in your area!
11-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #57
Site Supporter

Oops, sorry for talking photography in an equipment addiction thread--but I really do qualify for LBA help in a HUGE way (click my name to see how many FA*, 600mm and medium format items I've been fondling).
11-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #58
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am excited with the new cameras. The Ricoh xr-p rivals quickly with all the Pentax film cameras that I have used in terms of features, viewfinder display and ergonomics. The 17mm prime on the xr-p or superprogram is so cool. And my white K-x just arrived 1 day after thanksgiving.

I am in serious troubles running away from my guilty feeling. I need to gather my thoughts for trimming plan to be in place.

Hin
11-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #59
Site Supporter

I am excited with the new cameras. The Ricoh xr-p rivals quickly with all the Pentax film cameras that I have used in terms of features, viewfinder display and ergonomics. The 17mm prime on the xr-p or superprogram is so cool. And my white K-x just arrived 1 day after thanksgiving.
PM me when you get bored with the XR-P

Seriously though, update us when you have a chance to shoot with the XR-P a bit.

Steve
11-30-2009, 12:44 AM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Stevebrot,
Silly as it may seem, unemployement can be a good thing living where you do--I grew up there (23 years). Tomorrow hit the Ridgefield Refuge where you don't need much for telephoto length for the semi-tame wading birds and rodents--muskrats, nutria etc. Chance for otters and I've had mink practically charge the truck then put on great shows at close range. Tame young hawks occasionally too. Neat old oak trees on misty days etc. Just avoid the hunting days on this waterfowl refuge. If you want to hike for more nature (though less critters) the Carty unit of the refuge North of Ridgefield can be great fun, but I've always enjoyed the South end auto tour near Ridgefield High School.
East Fork of the Lewis River--Moulton Falls area or even Sunset Falls with good truck to get there in wacky weather for fun rocks and reflection pools. My dad just sold his cabin at Munn Falls a few months ago (just upstream from Lucia Falls) so I'm not there as much any more. Bring your steelhead gear this time of year.
Col. R. Gorge can be surprisingly nice for shooting once the leaves drop allowing some light to enter those dark side canyons and under what is usually dark understory area.
Shoot like mad during the annual silver thaws--ice storms. Gosh I've done well in my mother's yard out near Battleground during ice storms.
Should have some migrating Whistling Swans out in LaCenter but you'll need mondo telephoto for them.
And you ask sarcastically about "stuff" other than lenses to get addicted too--yeah, no kidding...Vancouver is drug supply central sometimes making Portland look like a prim and proper town--as long as you avert your eyes from the heroin addicts shooting up at the drinking fountains downtown--using that clean water for mixer--sheesh.
Have fun with all the free time. I really enjoy shooting in your area!
Thanks for the encouragement. I have been out shooting as the weather has allowed and was at the Ridgefield refuge twice last week (I have a yearly pass). The tundra (whistling) swans were there as were about 35 snow geese. Both were way too far away for the glass in my bag. I saw a few Nutria as well and an Otter at fairly close range (< 6 feet), but it ducked into a culvert before I could get the camera out.

I had to laugh when you mentioned drug activity in the Vancouver area. Yep, plenty of that around with meth being the most popular current drug of choice. I avoid doing street shooting in the seedy parts of town however. I am an old man and can't fun as fast as I used to!

Steve

(End of thread hijack!)