Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
PM me when you get bored with the XR-P
Seriously though, update us when you have a chance to shoot with the XR-P a bit.
Steve
Steve,

I can't believe what I have found with Ricoh xr-p. It is much better than I had expected. The view-finder has rich information display for shutter, aperture, Ev compensation, along with others. The best of all is that it shows the information even without half-press as in SuperProgram. It has lighted switch for illumination at night. Its PA and PD mode are quite useful for scenery and portrait.

It is more likely that I will keep the xr-p and staged to trim the Pentax SuperProgram and MX. Yes, seriously. If I can fix up the MX with light seals, I would like to try it longer.

The xr-p has multiple exposures and interval shooting modes. It sure is a black beauty. The best I found on the xr-p is the very dampened shutter mirror snap. It is unlike the MX and superprogram that has vibration. The xr-p seems more dampened. The caveats in the xr-p include the absence of DOF preview and easy missing of light seals on the back of the camera.

I am in love with the xr-p especially when I mounted the Tamron 17mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 (51B) on it with Y2 filter for b&w film.

Hin

11-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Initial impressions on K-x white are all positive except on the build of material. Other short comings are minor.

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
That is possible why I feel the way that I feel on the K-x. My copy is the beautiful white. I love white and hence I pick on white even if it means the feeling of cheaper plastic. Given the choices, I prefer the style over the norm and that is my irrational impulse in buying and there is not regret.

But honestly, I can't compare the build in the white k-x with that of my k20D or even my previous copy of K100D. Perhaps, the white color gives me the hollow and cheap plastic feeling that I have. The body is lightweight and that may add towards my somewhat negative impression on the build. I should look for a copy of K-x in black color and handle for comparison. I think I am the first one who reports this as a negative impression. This is likely solely my personal impressions. I love the K-x white but I sure do hope that the plastic is actually strong and sturdy like my past extremely good experience with K100D and K10D. Those old digital bodies were built to last and I sure hope the same stay for the K-x for all colors

I pair up the DA 40mm limited with the K-x white and it looks dead gorgeous to me for a small form factor and lightweight. I bought the combination for traveling light and hence, I will not think of the need of battery grip unless the grip has portrait shooting button with green button.

Thanks,
Hin
11-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Hey Hin,

I just got my navy blue K-x and I gotta say the build quality is surprisingly good for me. Easily as good as (if not better than) my old K100D. Overall it's an excellent little beast.
11-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Hey Hin,
I just got my navy blue K-x and I gotta say the build quality is surprisingly good for me. Easily as good as (if not better than) my old K100D. Overall it's an excellent little beast.
Maybe it is just my high expectation on the build quality. Everyone with the black and now the blue have been telling me the contrary to my initial impressions. Thanks for the inputs, it is comforting to know.

By the way, I think the white goes better with the black limited. And the DA-L lens is dead gorgeous with color matching. I wish for a DA-L 55-300mm with white color in the used market later on. For those with golden silver limited, you have got to try out the light gold color of the K-x.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-30-2009 at 03:40 PM.
12-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Who is worser than Hin in LBA in 2009? I just got my black Pentax DA 70mm f/2.4 limited and I have the overlapping lens with Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 limited that I use on my K02D, I use DA* 50-135mm on both my K20D and K-x and now I can say that I will use DA 70mm f/2.4 limited exclusively on my white-Kx along with 21, 35 and 40 as a super-quad in lighting traveling.

With a K-x, if you are thinking among the three lenses in FA 77, DA 70 or DA* 50-135mm. It is a no brainer for me to pick as I have all three -- shame, insane and happy at the same time! But if you ask me to make a recommendation to you, it will be

Pentax DA 70mm f/2.4 limited as it is the pancake to go with the K-x in small form factor and the high iso capability will make you scream with the K-x while having a ton of fun with faster AF and quick shift focus that is missing in FA limited but available in DA limited prime.

Last edited by hinman; 12-14-2009 at 06:14 PM.
12-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hin you're a bad boy and I wonder, will you get anything for Christmas .-) Looks like you have gotten yourself's Christmas presents for the next 10 years in the future .-)

I have tried something last sunday and maybe that's inspirational for some of you too. I went to a camera fair the first time (the only big one in town every 3 months), and I went there as a seller. To be honest I got vaccinated against the flu (normal flu) and it seems like it would hold off LBA too. I had decided to do this some weeks before and so I went.

My table on the near right (first half). Only top lenses went, the camera bodies are lame ducks

It was a little rushed the way I did it but I did it. Turns out I sold stuff for 1.500,- US-$ which I paid probably less for (I lost track in the first hours so I can't recall what I really sold). Never mind, I had the approximate german ebay 'sold' prices in my head (the useful remnants of LBA) and got that more or less.

I'll probably go there one more time to hopefully get another 1.500,- and finally end up with a junkpile that will be sold to the highest quidder in electronic hell.

This is my calculations while still keeping another grand worth of lenses to keep. Creampuff said it best for me in an earlier post, just go for the best and forget the rest, so it'll be all Zeiss east and west and a little Leica (I'm all manual anyways).

I wonder whether those fairs are the same all over the world. Some guy said there are no photographers going there but only collectors. My vaccination helped so I did not buy a thing on my lunch break stroll through the fair.

Good luck in quitting (harharhar)
Georg
12-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote

...I wonder whether those fairs are the same all over the world...
Ha! I wish we had something like that in my region. I think the closest camera show/swap meet is in Vancouver, BC CANADA, about a day's journey north at 100 kph.

Steve