Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Hin, like me, your best-laid plans of LBA management went out the window!

(actually that 1st shot isn't completely current, some adds/subtractions since then)
Jay and you all, if there is anybody that I want to hug, that will be you. I hope my misery and struggles can be a warning and a blessings to others. Life is simple and good with less gear and yet, we find ways to defy the simple life. Are we happy with more, yes I am and no I am not. It just sit between our rational mind and the subconscious mind of happiness. I am way happy to see your Mosaic. You have good companions. I almost get the D90 after you.

Warmest thank you,
Hin

11-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
The only trick that I have, I don't get the box organized in the room so it look usually normal with ups, usps and fedex boxes. Honey, I am not hiding. Check it out! And I usually get the eyes rolling up from my boys who know his daddy better -- the photo nuts.
Ah, hiding in plain sight! My desk is such a mess, I could probably keep it there and nobody would know! Of course, I would probably lose it, too!

Last edited by DavidWasch; 11-18-2009 at 06:08 PM.
11-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The cure I guess is to open a camera shop so as you can buy all the lenses you need and display them and sell them if need be.
11-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #19

Another cure.. maybe setup a lens rental shop to let others try your collection.

I'm a bit like you... got too many that I need now. I told meself.. my last LBA purchase will be the F*300mm ... and now waiting in the mail.

11-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ah you see you guys mistake between buying to use and collecting.
Select your lenses according to to the angle of view that you need (wide angle, standard, tele, macro), then buy the best lens you can afford for that angle of view. That way you just need just a few lenses and avoid unnecessary duplicate focal lengths. It is nice to try to own every focal length but in reality, you need to ask yourself how many lenses are you prepared to carry and how many can you practically use at any one time. Another reason for the incessant LBA is the thinking that a particular focal length might be the next miracle cure when most times most people don't spend quality time to familiarize with a particular lens we already have enough that one can immediately visualize how a scene would look with that lens' angle of view.

So for me I buy to use and take a utilitarian non-sentimental approach. No to old film-era clunkers when there are modern equivalents because they can't allow me to use all my exposure modes, usually have so-so contrast due to old coatings, or show mechanical wear. Old lenses may be cheap, but to me that's about the only redeeming quality and a surefire way to accumulate more gear than you really need.
11-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hin...You got it bad! At least the Ricoh XR-P will be cheap and you will have an excuse to buy Ricoh P mount lenses.

For myself, I have solved the LBA/CBA problem, at least for the short term. Unemployment seems to quench all sort of expensive obsessions!

Steve

(When you tire of the 645 and XR-P, you can send them to me. I promise that I will put them to good use...H***, who am I kidding! I have vintage two M42 cameras sitting on a shelf that I have never loaded up...something about getting their meters fixed!)
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
...So for me I buy to use and take a utilitarian non-sentimental approach. No to old film-era clunkers when there are modern equivalents because they can't allow me to use all my exposure modes, usually have so-so contrast due to old coatings, or show mechanical wear. Old lenses may be cheap, but to me that's about the only redeeming quality and a surefire way to accumulate more gear than you really need.
Mannnn...You are no fun at all!!!

Steve

(Also buy to use (eventually) and prefer some of my old lenses to my newer stuff)

11-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Helpful steps?

1. We admit we are powerless over LBA - that our lives have become unmanageable.

2. Come to believe that a power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity.

3. Make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Pentax.

4. Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of our lenses.

5. Admit to Pentax, to ourselves, and to other human beings the exact nature of our unfocused errors.

6. Are entirely ready to have Pentax remove all these defects of bokeh and resolution.

7. Humbly ask Pentax to remove our sensor dust.

8. Made a list of all lenses we have collected, and become willing to make special places on our shelves for them all.

9. Make direct amends to people who get better deals on lenses than us wherever possible.

10. Continue to take lens inventory and when we have a duplicate, promptly admit it.

11. Seek though prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with Pentax, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to get that last lens.

12. Have a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we try to carry this message to photographers everywhere, letting them know that you only need a wide, a normal and a telephoto, except maybe that sometimes you need a longer telephoto or a wider wide, or a faster normal and then again those with better coatings and build quality should not be spurned, and, of course, the old, the lenses of your youth are not to be despised, nor the lenses of your old age, and then again why not collect all the pancake lenses, or the FA Limiteds (not that you have funds), nor ignore the DA Limiteds. Then there are the Stars!

(Apologies if you struggle with substances other than lenses.)
11-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote

...(Apologies if you struggle with substances other than lenses.)
There are substances other than lenses? Whoa!

Steve

(fortunate to not have addictive tendencies...except for lenses and cameras...)
11-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hin

you should adapt my rules, I have only broken them once

I only buy faster wider or longer than I already own.

only time i broke this was to get a 85mm F1.9 super Tak, at a really good price when I already had the vivitar 85mmF1.4.

but that's it. I may break the rule again as I am toying with the idea of butting together an M42 kit, so that I have 3 somewhat independant systems to go with my 3 bodies, but so far that is a thought not reality. I would only get duplicates in M42 if they are truely exceptional lenses or values, not just for the sake of getting a lens.

By the way, I saw the Adaptall II F2.5 also.
11-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will revisit the thread with open mind.

Thanks,
Hin
Peter was, I think, encouraging us to shoot pictures rather than moon over ebay and the Marketplace. You are the rare collector/shooter who actually USES the lenses rather than having them to look at.\\

When it reaches the point that you have so many lenses that you can't use them all, its probably time to sell some
11-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I cured my lba (by buying everything.)
You have me laughing, buddy. But I still have the remaining problem -- How do you define everything? What is everything today may not be everything in another month .

Thanks!
Hin
11-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You have me laughing, buddy. But I still have the remaining problem -- How do you define everything? What is everything today may not be everything in another month .

Thanks!
Hin
When you think you have everything, then is the time to buy a Leica. When you have all the M and LTM lenses, then is the time to buy a view camera. At some point you will have the satisfaction of knowing that there will be one hell of an estate sale when the time comes

Steve

(Intrigued by rangefinders lately...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-19-2009 at 01:15 AM.
11-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Yo Hin I feel brotherly love for you cause I am stricken with the same addiction.

Here's two or three cents onto the matter:

It's Christmas time soon so no better time to bring your lenses and all onto the big electronic abbatoir. Put them on at the end of November, so people can auction them start of Dec. (early). Make the auction end on Sunday evening. Post in order of value for people to get ever more once they have already bought something from you. Don't even think about spending the revenues for photo-stuff again. Start taking pictures of your potential sales NOW. You can completely prepare the auction online NOW (and of course put it on the PForums marketplace).

Check out photographer's trade fairs and go there as a seller (maybe too dangerous).

Love yourself more and the lenses less - find out what you are compensating with this addiction.

I recently got a cellphone cam and use it loads - time to think about pictures again.

Best, Georg (looking for a cure, too)
11-19-2009, 05:58 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't own a manual focus lens. I tell myself I should get one and try it out, but I have this feeling that I wouldn't like and it and therefore wouldn't use it (I know, it slows you down and makes you think about each shot, but I have kids and they don't stop to let you think). This has a serious way of limiting the number of lenses available to me. I guess I would like a longer telephoto, but I think I would stop at that (at least for awhile). On the other hand, there have been some people who bought things they couldn't afford and regretted it. Hopefully no one ever gets to that place.