Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 06:25 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
You have me laughing, buddy. But I still have the remaining problem -- How do you define everything? What is everything today may not be everything in another month .

Thanks!
Hin
My definition of "everything" is pretty simplistic: I have a collection of very good to excellent primes, zooms & TCs which give me pretty solid FL coverage from 10-1000mm (and beyond) with a fair degree of useful redundancy in the zooms from 35-300mm. It's a pretty solid and versatile kit. You're right, of course: I may not be done yet. There are some upgrades I wish I could afford but so far I've been able to resist the temptation to have multiple primes in the same (or close) FL.

I think neither of us is a lens collector, buying lenses just to have them but--unlike me--you are a lens connoisseur with a discerning appreciation for nuances in image rendering. While I generally stick to the more modern "name-brand" options, you're scouring the underbrush for lesser-known exotic gems. For you, I think, a strategy of acquire, enjoy and sell (with the possibility of re-buying always open) makes a lot of sense. It's the urge to keep that you have to guard against.

11-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
My definition of "everything" is pretty simplistic: I have a collection of very good to excellent primes, zooms & TCs which give me pretty solid FL coverage from 10-1000mm (and beyond) with a fair degree of useful redundancy in the zooms from 35-300mm. It's a pretty solid and versatile kit. You're right, of course: I may not be done yet. There are some upgrades I wish I could afford but so far I've been able to resist the temptation to have multiple primes in the same (or close) FL.

I think neither of us is a lens collector, buying lenses just to have them but--unlike me--you are a lens connoisseur with a discerning appreciation for nuances in image rendering. While I generally stick to the more modern "name-brand" options, you're scouring the underbrush for lesser-known exotic gems. For you, I think, a strategy of acquire, enjoy and sell (with the possibility of re-buying always open) makes a lot of sense. It's the urge to keep that you have to guard against.
Thank you my friend. I am someone who sells with no fear but buy back when I think I want to try it again. I still remember the day that I sold my ex-LadyQueen 31mm and I helped my friend with 20% cashback in posting in ebay.

I stayed away from thinking about the queen as I don't see it fit in my gear when compared to my documentary Pentax DA 35mm 1:1 macro limited lens. I call my 35mm limited as my best documentary lens as I shot all of my LBA/CBA shots exclusively from that wonderful 35mm limited. To prepare a small package for traveling with K-x, I have been looking for a used copy of pancake limited and I just got it yesterday

Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 limited

and I have finally given in for the Pentax K-x white which should come anytime well before thanksgiving. I don't really need the 40mm limited but it is a perfect match to the K-x for traveling light and small with elegance. And the pancake primes and FA limited primes are one of the reasons to stay loyal, unique and interesting as a Pentaxian.

Thanks for all the support, face snapping, warm regards, comments and valuable suggestions. I will work with diligence on my items to sell/trade/gift to find a simpler balance while resisting the urge to keep.

Warmest,
Hin Man

Last edited by hinman; 11-19-2009 at 03:35 PM.
11-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The H1N1 or swine flu may not get to me as I am Hin#1 and I have my H1N1 shot, but I am perhaps the sickest bastard with LBA and CBA.

I am quite sick, though very happy to be honest to all of you in my problems. I am totally naive on film! Specifically, I don't know what my 1st roll of b&w will happen with my SuperProgram using DA 21mm f/3.2 limited. Magically, it seems to meter in Auto mode when I tried it earlier. When I tried two shots, the Programmed Auto mode picks up f/3.5 in ASA 400 iso film. Any guess what kind of issues that I will run into. And I mounted my DA 40mm f/2.8 limited onto my MX that I just received for deadwolfbones but I don't have the batteries to try out the metering.

MX: I am much better than you, look at my viewfinder. Not a chance I go to Marketplace
SuperProgram: You don't have a hand grip and I have 1/125 sync, similar slim body. Not a chance I get sold

If any of you have tried these or similar combination before with DA lens where you don't have aperture rings and that the lens is supposed to be digital only, please clue me in before I ruin my trials on films. When I look through the view finders, I don't see any vignetting around the viewfinder corner. At the minimum, it is not obvious to me.

Thanks,
Hin

[Update]: As I discussed the DA primes on SuperProgram and MX in film forums while trying it out on my 1st roll of film, the SuperProgram seems to take on DA 21 and DA 40 in the Programed auto mode. Metering seems about right. Imaging circles are yet to be confirmed when the roll is developed as the coverage on the SuperProgram is about 92%. I can't see any vignetting on the DA 40mm for sure and I can't honestly see darkening in the 21mm either. I hope they work well in the 1st roll. For lens with aperture rings, the MX can take on. So far, the SuperProgram has won my attention as the view is quite spectacular with the 21mm in indoor candid shooting.

Last edited by hinman; 11-25-2009 at 11:12 AM.
11-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster

My LBA continues into Thanksgiving.

Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5 adaptall-2 (51B)
adaptall-2 site description on 51B
with internal filters for 80B, 81B and Y2
great wide angle for b&w on film bodies

and my CBA continues waiting for the arrival of my white K-x and Ricoh xr-p

Ricoh xr-p

impressive flickr photo when I search on xr-p

Ricoh xr-p Brochure

source in flickr in larger view
from our admired friend Nester

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 11-25-2009 at 01:18 PM.
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Friends of Bill

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeW Quote
1. We admit we are powerless over LBA - that our lives have become unmanageable.

2. Come to believe that a power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity.

3. Make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Pentax.

4. Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of our lenses.

5. Admit to Pentax, to ourselves, and to other human beings the exact nature of our unfocused errors.

6. Are entirely ready to have Pentax remove all these defects of bokeh and resolution.

7. Humbly ask Pentax to remove our sensor dust.

8. Made a list of all lenses we have collected, and become willing to make special places on our shelves for them all.

9. Make direct amends to people who get better deals on lenses than us wherever possible.

10. Continue to take lens inventory and when we have a duplicate, promptly admit it.

11. Seek though prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with Pentax, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to get that last lens.

12. Have a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we try to carry this message to photographers everywhere, letting them know that you only need a wide, a normal and a telephoto, except maybe that sometimes you need a longer telephoto or a wider wide, or a faster normal and then again those with better coatings and build quality should not be spurned, and, of course, the old, the lenses of your youth are not to be despised, nor the lenses of your old age, and then again why not collect all the pancake lenses, or the FA Limiteds (not that you have funds), nor ignore the DA Limiteds. Then there are the Stars!

(Apologies if you struggle with substances other than lenses.)
See my interpretation from March :ugh:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/537910-post6.html

Last edited by monochrome; 11-25-2009 at 12:14 PM.
11-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Now everyone can send their Ricoh "P" lenses to Hin!

Truly Hin, you a going deep. Film bodies are seriously addictive. The precision workmanship and the feel in the hand are enticing. Add to that the wonderful viewfinders on cameras such as the Super Program and XR-P and it is hard to say no on eBay. To show how addictive they are, I am currently casing a couple of Japanese rangefinders despite that fact that I am still between jobs and have no money.

Steve

(Already own six film bodies...I am sick, sick, sick...)

(Cameras, lenses, and accessories migrating to a second shelf...the first is overcrowded...)
11-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I'd gone a bit nuts recently, but then I decided to sell off the stuff I'm not using. I'm now down to 2 digital SLRs, 3 film SLRs, and 20 lenses. Probably 3-4 more of those lenses could go and leave my kit still complete.

11-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I'd gone a bit nuts recently, but then I decided to sell off the stuff I'm not using. I'm now down to 2 digital SLRs, 3 film SLRs, and 20 lenses. Probably 3-4 more of those lenses could go and leave my kit still complete.

Crazy - the 1000mm wasn't crazy, it was fun.

I just bought a bag full of K-bodies and M-lenses that contains only duplicates of things I already own and rarely use, but they are cosmetically EX+++ (some never mounted).

So they'll look pretty on MY shelf for the next 30 years?

Sale coming Sunday.
11-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Crazy - the 1000mm wasn't crazy, it was fun.

I just bought a bag full of K-bodies and M-lenses that contains only duplicates of things I already own and rarely use, but they are cosmetically EX+++ (some never mounted).

So they'll look pretty on MY shelf for the next 30 years?

Sale coming Sunday.
Where the hell did you find that?!

p.s., send me details of sale thread before you post.
11-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

X2

Steve

(I know you have some good stuff...)
11-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Hin, you are not alone, I have been spending too much time on fleabay and scooped up some MF lens (should I say rediscovered the joy of using MF lenses). There are no less than 12 lens (and several film cameras) I have picked up lately within the last month or so.

Perhaps my LBA sickness can only be cured if you and I are bidding for the same item on fleabay and you won every time, then I give up...
11-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote

Ricoh xr-p

impressive flickr photo when I search on xr-p

Ricoh xr-p Brochure

source in flickr in larger view
from our admired friend Nester

Thanks,
Hin
Hin, that Ricoh Xr-p looks nice. I have read you review on Ricoh P lens, there is no problem with the "evil" pin, I don't have issue using it on my K10D. I have the P 50mm f2 and the P 50mm f1.7 (coming). Those are not too shabby prime lenses for the price that we can get.
11-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Hin, is this your shot? It's perfect. The black/black/shiny just makes me want
to go out right now and get a "Ricoh" t-shirt made.

11-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Where the hell did you find that?!

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
X2

Steve

(I know you have some good stuff...)
Hi guys: Thanks for the interest - threw in a bid on ebay on a big canvas carry bag full of a list of stuff (under antiques) and inexplicably won. Might as well do some culling, too. Nothing as good as last time (boy, do I miss the Viv 105/2.5 <|;>) ), but a few nice lenses and bodies.

I was going to post the Sale List around 9:00 EST Sunday morning but I have just learned that a life-long friend suddenly passed away at 57 (a little "escapism" going on right now), so perhaps later in the day, depending on arrangements.

I'll PM or email you better details Friday or Saturday

Last edited by monochrome; 11-25-2009 at 04:52 PM.
11-25-2009, 04:41 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hi guys: Thanks for the interest - threw in a bid on ebay for the value of just the Mint- M100/2.8 and inexplicably won. Might as well do some culling, too. Nothing as good as last time (boy, do I miss the Viv 105/2.5 <|;>) ), but a few nice lenses and bodies.

I was going to post the Sale List around 9:00 EST Sunday morning but I have just learned that a life-long friend suddenly passed away at 57 (a little "escapism" going on right now), so perhaps later in the day, depending on arrangements.

I'll PM or email you better details Friday or Saturday
throwing my hat in for that presale email and sorry to hear about your friend