Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #1

Tokina 16-50 review on Klaus's site(photozone.de)

It is a review based on a Nikon mount version.
Tokina AF 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (Nikon)- Photozone Lens Test Report / Review

My first impression...

Unfortunately it isn't very good...

This is a very bad design I think after seeing that much of barrel distortions and also very very much CA
And the Pentax 16-50 is supposed to be the same lens design...

Now I am even harder hoping that Tamron is going to release the 17-50 in de Pentax mount...if the Pentax 16-50 is also that bad I won't buy it that way. The new SDM focussing and weather sealing is for me not enough to compensate the bad barrel and CA.
Also the resolution isn't on par realy wide-open.

Maybe some other opinions ?
Or somebody who can guarantee me that the Pentax version will be much much much better than this ?

06-08-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hope it is the same - then I won't be tempted to replace the 16-45!!
06-08-2007, 04:51 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Tokina AF 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX (Nikon)- Photozone Lens Test Report / Review

My first impression...

This is a very bad design I think after seeing that much of barrel distortions and also very very much CA

Now I am even harder hoping that Tamron is going to release the 17-50 in de Pentax mount...if the Pentax 16-50 is also that bad I won't buy it that way. The new SDM focussing and weather sealing is for me not enough to compensate the bad barrel and CA.
Also the resolution isn't on par realy wide-open.

Maybe some other opinions ?
Or somebody who can guarantee me that the Pentax version will be much much much better than this ?

The review wasnt bad.

Barrel Distortion was worse than competition but it was measured at 16mm compared to 17/18mm

CA only noticeable at large apetures and towards 16mm

Other than that it was OK
06-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

CA maybe reduced because Pentax will have the SMC coatings.

06-09-2007, 02:30 AM   #5

On OK1000 blog there are samples from DA* 16-50 and I really must agree with that blog about not ordering it sooner...
I believe that maybe there is a difference between Tokina and Pentax variations...

Branimir
06-09-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey I was wondering howcomere there's a large number of centering defects and I've noticed a large number of them were in the pentax lens reviews.
06-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote

My first impression...

First of all, this is just one test of one sample. The reviewer points out that the particular sample tested has a centering defect. And these tests are not performed on an optical bench but simply a software analysis of the final image. So lots of other factors influence the results. This review is simply one data point, and is certainly not a definitive verdict on the Pentax DA* 16-50mm.

Second, the lens is a joint development of Pentax and Tokina, but they will have different mechanical mounts and are made in different factories. So the performance is not identical. Popular Photography tested both the Pentax and Tokina versions of the DA 12-24mm f4 lens (using a real optical bench). The results show superior performance by the Pentax lens, especially in terms of geometric distortion at the wide end. So the results for the Pentax DA* may be better (or possibly worse) than the Tokina version.

Third, why would anyone "guarantee ... that the Pentax version will be much much much better than [the Tokina version]?" If you're interested in the Pentax lens, then try one when it is released and determine for yourself whether it suits your needs. If you don't like it, then return it and buy something else. The test results from the Tokina were not too bad, and the reviewer admits that the sample was defective. But the main point is that one should not rely too much on product reviews in making a decision on a lens, especially a review that is just a guy on the Internet. I think there is some useful information on PhotoZone and the guy (I think his name is Klaus) seems to be well-intentioned. But I wouldn't obsess over the test results.
06-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This review doesn't sound too bad--obviously expectations and standards are high for a 'pro' f/2.8 zoom. It appears to me that, as many of us likely expected, from f/4, performance is not all that different than the DA16-45, though distortion and corner resolution at 16mm is slightly worse--perhaps this is the price to be paid for the extra 5mm of focal length at the long end. Based on Klaus's other photozone.de tests, I would guess that CA is likely to remain a weakness on the DA* version as it appears to be one of the worst attributes of most of the Pentax glass. Pentax's SMC coating that would be on the DA* version tends to resist flare better than most though.

Yes, Klaus may be just 'some guy on the internet' but in his defense, the reviews that he and others at photozone.de have consistently appeared to be about as good and fair as one can ask for given the price paid. I was very pleased to see that they took up K-mount testing over the last few months.