Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
They have 500mm and 600mm DA* lenses?

While adapters aren't plentiful, there are a few around such as the Leitax.

Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax
I was able to see this when I googled adapters from our site.
There are quite nice but once people get a wind of this, all those not so epxpensive lenses will shoot up in price again since they would know that the Pentax people are using them again..or has a use for them again.
This is exactly what happened to the cheap old prime lenses before.
Now, the good old primes are just ridiculously priced too!

11-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
The Tokina 500mm f8 was also sold as a Sears brand lens.
GP
This is good to know and another brand to look for, I guess.
11-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have the 500 mm f/8 Opteka, one of the brandings of the modern mirrors being sold on the internet. I picked it up second hand on Ebay for $49 from a seller who didn't like it. A few of my first attempts were not good. It takes practice and a very steady hand to focus one. While the lens is very light, being a 500mm makes it very difficult to hand hold. On a monopod and using trap focus, I got some surprisingly good shots of my daughters crew team. I bought it this fall and the weather has been dismal and I still haven't been able to use it much in the conditions where it will perform best, which is in bright sunlight. The few sunny day test shots I took with it looked quite good.
..as Marc had said, maybe it doesn't actually matter which brand to get, the more important thing is the technique!
11-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm liking the Vivitar Series one offering now 'coz it seems small compared to the other mirror lenses but the reviews I have read are so-so.

11-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I assume you've checked out the Mirror Lens Club thread by now, but FWIW, here are are a couple of shots from my Vivitar:

11-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

BTW, I'm not saying the lens isn't so-so - it's capable of some pretty bad pictures too. And don't ask to see 100% crops of even the better shots I've taken with it, like the above - they won't be particularly impressive. But the way I figure it, long mirror lenses are about not *needing* to resort to extreme crops to get the framing you want (I shot the arch from around half a mile away).
11-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #22
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I've been quite impressed with my Tamron 55BB at 100%:

11-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Although I've been quite impressed with my Tamron 55BB at 100%:
If I managed to get a 100% crop like this from my 55BB I would be feeling quite pleased with myself. The aparent image degredation / graininess is due to the high gain at ISO1600 which makes the image very noisy at 100% crop. After putting the picture through a median filter averaging over 9 pixels to supress the noise it looks completely different and still remarkably sharp for a 100% crop from a mirror lens:

Attached Images

11-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I assume you've checked out the Mirror Lens Club thread by now, but FWIW, here are are a couple of shots from my Vivitar:
Yes Marc, I have already visited that site and am quite impressed by some of the photos.
Are all the Vivitar Series 1 mirror lens all the same?
I have seen some being offered right about in the below $100 and one around $140.
The one being offered at a higher price looks like a new model and I'm not sure 'coz I haven't had any experiences with these lenses.
Some of the shots you took where great.
I'm not really fond of the f6.3 versions as they seem so huge!
11-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, I'm not saying the lens isn't so-so - it's capable of some pretty bad pictures too. And don't ask to see 100% crops of even the better shots I've taken with it, like the above - they won't be particularly impressive. But the way I figure it, long mirror lenses are about not *needing* to resort to extreme crops to get the framing you want (I shot the arch from around half a mile away).
I'm not very fond of cropping and don't usually crop.
I always want to nail my framing.
11-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Googling and looking at all the available options, I'm still overwhelmed!
I see some say that it has or is capaple of macro focus but I see that they all have the same/almost the same minimum focusing distance..so I don't see how this is.
I don't see the Vivitar series 1 saying it is capable of macro focus.
I see some that say they are for a different mount but am not sure if they are actually t-mounts that has a changeable adapter or if they have a fixed mount for that certain mount only.
Boy am I now more confused than I was before!
I don't even know what to get now or how to look at the specs!
Some have lesser elements in groups (lens) and some have 6 elements in 7 groups..I think!
I'm getting more and more confused!
Argghhh...
11-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

If it were me, i'd buy in this order: Tamron 55BB, Tamron 55B, Tokina, Sigma 600. These offer the best image quality for your $
11-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I see some say that it has or is capaple of macro focus but I see that they all have the same/almost the same minimum focusing distance..so I don't see how this is.
Depends on whether someone wants to call the magnification you get at that distance "macro" or not. As I recall, the actual magnification of the Vivitar at closest focus is 1:2.6 - which is *slightly* better than the kit lens at 55mm. But the Vivitar (Samyang), much more so than the Tamron from what I can tell, is *really* bad when focusing close. So while you can get 1:2.6, you probably won't like the results at all.

BTW regarding whether all current Vivitar 500/8's are the same - you'd have to post a link tot he one you think might be different. I'm inclined to doubt there is any difference except the asking price. But there was, apparently, an older pre-Samyang Vivitar 500/8 that was different.

QuoteQuote:
I see some that say they are for a different mount but am not sure if they are actually t-mounts that has a changeable adapter or if they have a fixed mount for that certain mount only.
If it's the Samyang lens (whether under the Vivitar or another name), it's definitely T-mount, and the adapter can be changed. In fact, *sot* mirror lenses are T-mounts, I think. The Tamron is its own world, and the Sigma was made in native mounts, but most others (including the current crop of 500/6.3's) are T-mount.

QuoteQuote:
I don't even know what to get now or how to look at the specs!
Some specs on most models (size, weight, minimum focus distance, etc):

mirror lenses.co.uk - your complete guide to mirror lens photography - home
11-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #29
Pentaxian

OK, since we've seen a 100% crop from the Tamron, I might as well show a couple from the Vivitar/Samyang.

Here's a crop from the arch shot above:

And here's a crop from another one of my favorite images from the Vivitar. First, the full (resized) image:

And now the crop:

11-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
If it were me, i'd buy in this order: Tamron 55BB, Tamron 55B, Tokina, Sigma 600. These offer the best image quality for your $
I just let go of a Sigma 600 posted at ebay which sold only for around $50!
Although it had the Yashica/Contax mount, I have read that it is an easy conversion to a K mount. A mere getting a K-mount from a donor lens and swapping it with the existing Yashica/Contax mount.
..oh well, there will be another time. That lens may not have been for me.