Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hi,

The larger screws will remove the mount. You don't need to remove the smaller ones as it should all come out as 1 piece. Be careful when removing the mount as some lenes have a little ball on a spring to click the aperture ring and it can fly into the 9th dimension. Form the pic I think the smallest retaining ring will allow you to remove the first element. After that the second ring could help remove the inner barrel but can't be sure.
If the lens barrel unscrews maybe you can access the element from inside, but usually the front ring (white letters information) should unscrew using a rubber grip or something.

Thanks,
So, will I need to remove the mount, and then the rings? I thought I read somewhere that the rearmost element can possible be removed without fooling with the mount.

As to the front retaining ring, I couldn't turn it which is how I discovered the barrell unscrewing. I also read somewhere to maybe try a jewler's screwdriver in on of the letters of the ring since there's no slots, but I'm hesitant for obvious reasons. I did open the aperture wide and let the sun hit it for a bit on both ends, and my quick cleaning was with hydrogen peroxide, so hopefully that will slow any further growth til I can take a better time with it.

Thanks for the advice.

12-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

If the front "name" ring does unscrew like on a Pentax, the small dent in the filter ring will be a problem. You'll have to fix that somehow - I have a few maple cradles for the outside and give it a whack with a hammer and wooden dowel on the inside. Don't try the screwdriver in the letters trick until the dent is fixed. When it slips, it's guaranteed to go either for the front element or bury itself in a finger.

But the front can go together lots of other ways. A tiny slotted retaining screw on the side of the front barrel can be a lock screw. Loosening that might allow the whole front barrel to unscrew, revealing the retaining rings for the front elements. When it unscrews in the middle, there may be retaining rings revealed there. The most annoying lenses have something glued on, covering up the real screws.

The inner black screws on the back will probably allow you to take only the light shield off. It may give you enough room to access the rear elements. These screws are often not so brutally tight like the chrome mount screws can be. On telephotos, these elements are usually deep enough within the rear that you'll need more room. It looks to me like a lens spanner or equivalent tool will be needed for your lens. You want to use the outermost slots, which probably will take the whole group out.
12-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably go for it once again by unscrewing the barrell like I did by accident while trying to unscrew the "retaining ring," which may not even be one. Perhaps a further web search to see if I can find a manual or contact a Chinon tech or someone who can tell me a bit more about its specific assembly/disassembly.