Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #1

Limited Lens Recommendation

I have the 21mm DA, the 55mm DA*, am getting the 77mm FA.
I am looking at the 35mm, 40mm DAs, or the 43mm FA.
Considerations:
1) I don't have a macro yet, but don't see 35mm as the ideal FL for that, it would be an asset, though.
2) compact size matters, but does not overrule. I see the 77mm as a fairly compact lens, same as the 55mm, and the 21mm is downright dwarfy by my standards. IQ is more important.
3) I don't really believe that Pentax will produce a FF camera, so having FF is not that critical. I do like faster rather than slower lenses, however.
4) Price doesn't matter very much, none of this is needed, and will be bought as circumstances allow.
Looking forward to ideas and experiences with the above lenses...

11-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You are going to want the APS-C equivalent of a "normal lens", i.e., 30-35mm, and in that FL range, you just cannot beat the quality of the FA 31 Lim. Especially if money is not that big of a concern, you should just get it, and be over with it.

When I was mulling over what to get in that range, basically trying to decide between the FA 35/2 and the 31/1.8 Lim (I wanted it to be fast), one guy on a forum somewhere said "If you buy the 35/2, you're still going to be curious about the 31/1.8 Lim. If you buy the 31/1.8 Lim, you'll forget the 35/2 existed in the first place" and that's what pushed me to get the 31/1.8 Lim.

And it was true. I'd really almost forgotten there was an FA 35/2
11-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
..."If you buy the 35/2, you're still going to be curious about the 31/1.8 Lim. If you buy the 31/1.8 Lim, you'll forget the 35/2 existed in the first place" and that's what pushed me to get the 31/1.8 Lim.

And it was true. I'd really almost forgotten there was an FA 35/2
I bought the FA 35/2 and have to keep reminding myself that it is a superb lens in its own right, has newly acquired cult status and that I really don't "need" the FA 31/1.8 LTD. On the other hand...I could turn a handsome profit on the 35/2 and apply it to a 31/1.8...evil, evil thoughts...

Steve

(Have to remember that I need to find a job before I can justify any luxury purchases!)
11-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I bought the FA 35/2 and have to keep reminding myself that it is a superb lens in its own right, has newly acquired cult status and that I really don't "need" the FA 31/1.8 LTD. On the other hand...I could turn a handsome profit on the 35/2 and apply it to a 31/1.8...evil, evil thoughts...
I am a very outspoken FA 35 fan, and i actually even bought a 2nd copy, just to "make sure" .

Now, i've been tempted many times to purchase the 31 LTD. I mean, who doesnt? Hecka, with two FA35, one used in good condition and a brand new, if I sold them i could easily get a used 31LTD or even brand new.

But in my situation, price is not problem, but mostly peace of mind (and some size concerns too): I feel comfortable using the FA 35 in any situation, such as concerts, weddings, clubs... anything. It is my most used lens. I am almost sure I would not feel comfortable using a $800 lens as my normal lens, in everyday situation. That could be a source of stress for me...

11-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Helmut_S Quote
I have the 21mm DA, the 55mm DA*, am getting the 77mm FA.
I am looking at the 35mm, 40mm DAs, or the 43mm FA.
Considerations:
1) I don't have a macro yet, but don't see 35mm as the ideal FL for that, it would be an asset, though.
2) compact size matters, but does not overrule. I see the 77mm as a fairly compact lens, same as the 55mm, and the 21mm is downright dwarfy by my standards. IQ is more important.
3) I don't really believe that Pentax will produce a FF camera, so having FF is not that critical. I do like faster rather than slower lenses, however.
4) Price doesn't matter very much, none of this is needed, and will be bought as circumstances allow.
Looking forward to ideas and experiences with the above lenses...
1. 35mm has very little minimum focus distance to get 1:1 - so it's only for still life macro
2. compare 77 vs 70
3. I DO think they'll have FF body within 5 years