Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #1

Purty flower and leaves- something wrong...

I got a new lens on ebay, the SMC M 50mm 1.7 pentax unit. Its an awesome little lens!

Anyways, I took some practice shots today of some up close and low f stop photos. I need help though, especially with the flower. It doesn't seem right. Thanks

11-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I didn't know a lens could have such an effect on color.
How does the glass look?
11-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry, what effect do you speak of? I am still rather noobish!
11-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Different coatings on lenses will give you differing results. You also have to remember that the lens you used was designed for use with film.

11-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting Raw and converting? Are you using jpeg conversion in the camera? How are you setting your white balance? You should look into a white balance aid. I use passport color checker. You can also shoot through any number of accessories to set white balance. This is assuming that its the color of the flower your talking about not being right.
11-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses guys.

I have the white balance on auto. Should I change that?

Also, I shoot in raw+. I upload them to aperture. I think aperture uploads them to flickr through jpeg?
11-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a pretty wide assortment of manual focus, non-A contact glass and have noticed a shift in white balance with some lenses under certain conditions when WB is in auto mode on my K10D. I have never noticed a problem with my Pentax-K 55/1.8 or my Pentax-M 50/1.7, but I do see a definite shift to the cool side with two of my Russian lenses (Helios 44M and Jupiter-9).

About a week ago, I was doing a little comparison study between my FA 35/2 and the Helios 44M. I was shocked to see that the FA 35 shots were distinctly warmer than the same subjects with the Helios. In fact the Helios shots had colors that were definitely not apparent to the human eye. Never mind that the Helios images were much prettier, I figured that this required some additional investigation.

The lighting was nothing tricky. It was late morning with open lighting from a uniformly light gray overcast sky. When I looked at the exif, the WB was set at 4200 K for the Helios and 5200 K for the FA 35. Bumping the color temperature in Lightroom to 5200 K for both images yielded equivalent color rendition.

I then took switched the camera to manual white balance and set it against a white card. Both lenses calibrated to 5200 K. Go figure... I am at a loss to explain these results, except to suggest that the auto WB might be biased by the full spectral characteristics of some of these lenses (UV, vis, and IR) as opposed to modern SMC optics. It may also be that there is a less sophisticated auto WB formula for non-AF glass.

Remedies:
  • Use manual WB and calibrate against a white card -- OR --
  • Set the WB for the shooting light (daylight, shade, overcast, etc.) -- OR --
  • Shoot RAW and adjust the WB in post-processing (my approach)

Steve
11-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks guys, very informative!

I like messing around in Aperture, so perhaps that will be my best bet.

Would the temperature setting be equivalent to the whites?

11-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Looks like typical red overload. Many digital sensors are very sensitive to reds.
Hue/saturation can correct the red balance.
11-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #10

Original Poster

That was a little change in hue/sat. Seems a lot better, no?

Thanks!
11-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Just a play with the small jpeg from the first post.

Last edited by wildlifephotog; 09-27-2013 at 07:21 AM.