Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
I am happy with the performance of my copy (Rokinon) so far.
It is quite sharp even wide open but/and/however it does not become sharper at f/8 and f/11! A very strange design, I guess. However, for portraits with a shallow DOF, it is almost excellent, considering the price.
I hope the said diaphragm problem is of a kind that can be corrected by any competent technician. My fingers crossed!
I'm sure it is easily correctable. although, isn't your copy has a warranty to it? or an immediate replacement just in case your lens display such a problem? mine has one just in case it gets sticky.

about the Rokinon's aperture performance, I don't think that you would need to use it past f4. f4 is sufficient enough to include a bit of background. though being my specialty portraiture lens, I haven't found the necessity to shoot even past f2.8. I had used mine most (70%) of the time at f1.4.

11-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone determined why the Samyang version of this lens is about $100 USD more expensive than the Rokinon version?
11-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
Has anyone determined why the Samyang version of this lens is about $100 USD more expensive than the Rokinon version?
there are a lot of different versions, between ProOptic (Adormama) Bower (who are the official distributor of Samyang in the US), Vivitar who have a cosmetically different version of the lens and the others.

The pricing may be a function of marketing agreements between the different sellers/rebranders.

There has been some speculation, not sure where I first saw it, that perhaps some versions have different optical coatings.

I do not know any one who has all the versions to prove or disprove this theory, but it would be a great idea for a meet-up

I have often thought meet-ups should have themes, like a 85mm meet up (if we consider the topic of this thread) , where every one comes with their 85mm lens so that some benchmark testing can be done.
02-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
Samyang or Vivitar is $100 more than Rokinon.
Has anyone found out the diffenrence? especially coatings?

dugrant153,
did you purchase this lens?

blende8, Lowell Goudge and wallyb,
Would you recommend it? and if yes, which version/brand?

Best regards

02-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Samyang or Vivitar is $100 more than Rokinon.
Has anyone found out the diffenrence? especially coatings?

dugrant153,
did you purchase this lens?

blende8, Lowell Goudge and wallyb,
Would you recommend it? and if yes, which version/brand?

Best regards
I have the vivitar version and would recommend it highly. I bought mine over 2 years ago and love it. It has become the take along lens with my Sigma 10-20 and tamron 28-75F2.8 when travelling. the extra 2 stops at 85mm make for an excellent lens taking street candids. Also, I use it with no loss of performance, with my SMC-F 1.7x AF converter. (145mmF2.5 equivelent)

The reason I bought it is that I gave up on getting a reasonabley priced 85F1.8 or 1.9 lens tak or K mount. Then about 6 months after getting the vivitar, I tripped over a super- tak 85F1.9 for $200.

Faced with the ultimate LBA challenge, I did what any pentaxian would do, I bought that too

I still have not put them side by side for comparison, but use them both.

The differences between the two make for some interisting differences shooting.

The vivitar has auto aperture, which means P-TTL flash is fully supported, and has internal focusing and a relitively short focusing throw compared to the tak.

The tak with 330 degree focusing throw, is not meant for fast workers but is a pleasure to use.

Both lenses are a lot of fun, and I think the vivitar is a little better in terms of flare resistance.
02-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I ended up not buying the lens as I think I went for the FA77 Limited instead. I would be curious to see how it works out Looks to be a beast of a lens in comparison to the uber lightweight FA77! lol

But we're talking apes vs chimps here (size and weight)