Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Well, it's not too much when you start to notice how many shots you take are "throw-aways" when testing a new lens. And I like to test new lenses a lot And no, I would always shoot in A mode and choose the aperture myself. That's how I always shoot, unless there are really odd lighting conditions and I would go into shutter priority mode.

Honestly, it's a fantastic lens *if something doesn't happen to it*. The aperture problem I'm experiencing doesn't "break" the lens, and I can still take nice pictures with it. I also imagine it won't be something that's hard to fix, even if the warranty didn't cover it (which it surely will). For something extremely critical like a wedding, I wouldn't recommend it, but for just about every other situation where you're just having fun and taking some nice dusk portraits or something like that, it's a spectacular alternative to a $1400+ "name-brand" lens.
for wedding shots, I think it would be just fine as long as you are accustomed to manual-focus use, which I am. I had used those old manually focused film SLRs during the early 90's, the last one was in 2003 before I went AF.
it's the whole damn AF thing that makes new photographers appear dumb with manual-focus use. just imagine when all electronically controlled gadget fails and you are left alone to use manual-override. if you dont know how to override something manually, you can end up dead meat. I could say that AF is a luxury for most people nowadays. also the pp softwares such as PhotoShop makes it more easier to produce outstanding photos from crap. boy, that makes everybody appear professionals nowadays.

btw, can I ask you if when you turn the aperture ring to A mode, does it stops or locks at the A letter or does it stops at that "dot" between the A mode and f/22 aperture?

11-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
oh boy :P
600-700 actuations sounds like something I would do in a short period of time, especially since I'm considering this as a wedding/event lens!

And I would stop down to about F2 to F2.8 when I can.

Hmm... should I be... avoiding this lens?? And, I wonder how Rokinon warranty works up here in Canada...
For what this lens costs you could buy two, keep one with you for backup, and still have saved hundreds of dollars vs the competition.
11-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha... true. but I guess I just want to make sure this lens fails to close it's aperture when I'm doing a very critical wedding/event shot. Then I'm hooped.

Just curious to know if aperture issues are merely sample variation or more of something common to all the lenses. If it's the latter, I'd probably just save my change for something better.

But i love the IQ of this lens.
11-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

haha... true. but I guess I just want to make sure this lens fails to close it's aperture when I'm doing a very critical wedding/event shot. Then I'm hooped.

Just curious to know if aperture issues are merely sample variation or more of something common to all the lenses. If it's the latter, I'd probably just save my change for something better.

But i love the IQ of this lens.
how bout buying the DA* 16-50? would that make you feel safe?

personally, I had gambled on this lens rather than gamble on the dreaded 16-50? eventhough the DA 16-50 has an outstanding IQ, the failure rate of that lens and the costs of buying and sending it over and over for replacements, give you enough reason to pass on it until Pentax had finally resolved that problem.

btw, the Rokinon has a warranty just the same, so that would make you feel alil bit secured if ever a problem would ever occur. realistically speaking, there is no lens that is a 100% safe.

11-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
true true I've had my share of duds. Avoided the DA*16-50 until I found one that was really good.... haha... quite familiar with that lens.

True that no lens is 100% safe, but some are better bet than others.

The strange thing is my DA*55 is fine despite reviews showing QC issues. Maybe it's because I MF it all the time :P

What got me started on all this is reports of this 85mm lens with aperture issues. Just wanted to see if it was a common issue or just a "luck of the draw" :P
11-21-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

true true I've had my share of duds. Avoided the DA*16-50 until I found one that was really good.... haha... quite familiar with that lens.

The strange thing is my DA*55 is fine despite reviews showing QC issues. Maybe it's because I MF it all the time :P

What got me started on all this is reports of this 85mm lens with aperture issues. Just wanted to see if it was a common issue or just a "luck of the draw" :P
I believe it is more of a luck of the draw thing since I don't hear too much news or issues about the lens. or maybe perhaps that the lens isn't that really popular at all and not much people owned it which I somewhat doubt. I believe I've done enough research on how this lens really performed and from what I had read and seen so far, it got a lot of praises from people who have actually owned and used them rather than lens problems.
11-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe it is more of a luck of the draw thing since I don't hear too much news or issues about the lens. or maybe perhaps that the lens isn't that really popular at all and not much people owned it which I somewhat doubt. I believe I've done enough research on how this lens really performed and from what I had read and seen so far, it got a lot of praises from people who have actually owned and used them rather than lens problems.
I also have the 85mm in Opteka trim. It has become one of my most used lenses. So far there seems to be no issues with the aperture blades, but I have not taken as many images as some here. I do like the Samyang 85mm so much I just recently purchased the 8mm in Rokinon trim when Overstock.com recently had them on sale and I had a coupon, I couldn't pass it up based on my previous experience for only $203.

12-08-2009, 03:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The sticking aperture appears to be a common problem.
We had a poll on a German forum a while ago and about 2/3 of the owners experienced it.

Bad.
I suspect a constructional fault.

12-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh wow... that's kinda what I figured, but didn't know it was gonna be such a high percentage!
12-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not had any problems with my Rokinon version. I have probably only taken about 200-300 photos with it.
12-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Here's a jpeg-out-of-the-K100D focus trap example with the Rokinon version @1.4 (plus 100%crop).

I like the Bokeh. I'm sure I'll use it for interior shots. If the aperture baldes stick I'll use it at 1.4 I guess, but I'll use it!

Dave in Iowa

PS the aperture ring locks on the little red dot.

Last edited by newarts; 12-08-2009 at 09:07 AM.
12-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
We had a poll on a German forum a while ago and about 2/3 of the owners experienced it.

Bad.

my question would be how many people without problems even bothered to look at the poll? Also, was this specificly for the Pentax mount, or for many different apertures?
12-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote

Bad.

Thank God I'm not in a German Forum. that would save me from any sticky situation.
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
my question would be how many people without problems even bothered to look at the poll? Also, was this specificly for the Pentax mount, or for many different apertures?
maybe, because I think that the Pentax K-mount is the only one with a usable A (shorted) aperture setting. I guess inorder to avoid such scenario to happen, just leave the lens fixed at f1.4 as it should be or where it should be used for.

as far as my copy goes, no sticky feeling just yet.
12-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I am happy with the performance of my copy (Rokinon) so far.
It is quite sharp even wide open but/and/however it does not become sharper at f/8 and f/11! A very strange design, I guess. However, for portraits with a shallow DOF, it is almost excellent, considering the price.
I hope the said diaphragm problem is of a kind that can be corrected by any competent technician. My fingers crossed!