Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

sigma DC 17-70mm vs. Pentax DA 16-45mm

Hi,

One my dilemma is solved: I couldn't resist very good K10D price in Australia (also I'm going to collect 10% GST return from customs), so I'm going for K10D.

Now, however, another dilemma appeared. Sigma DC 17-70mm or Pentax DA 16-45mm?

70mm of Sigma are very tempting, however is this lense sharp opened wide? What about barrel distortions at wide end?

Please, don't tell me to read reviews. I've done that already I hope that here someone who has experience with both lenses will tell his impressions.

Sigma is famous for it non consisten quality of its lenses, so there's a chance I'll get a lemon instead of a good 17-70mm. Pentax Vietnam factory produced lense quality isn far from perfect either (I read a lot about deffective 16-45mm in forums). What are your impressions?

Didn't think it's going to be so tough to decide on kit lense...

11-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Hi,

One my dilemma is solved: I couldn't resist very good K10D price in Australia (also I'm going to collect 10% GST return from customs), so I'm going for K10D.

Now, however, another dilemma appeared. Sigma DC 17-70mm or Pentax DA 16-45mm?

70mm of Sigma are very tempting, however is this lense sharp opened wide? What about barrel distortions at wide end?

Please, don't tell me to read reviews. I've done that already I hope that here someone who has experience with both lenses will tell his impressions.

Sigma is famous for it non consisten quality of its lenses, so there's a chance I'll get a lemon instead of a good 17-70mm. Pentax Vietnam factory produced lense quality isn far from perfect either (I read a lot about deffective 16-45mm in forums). What are your impressions?

Didn't think it's going to be so tough to decide on kit lense...
hey...

just sorted through the same delema....
the thing that made me decide for the sigma instead of the pentax was I wanted the sigam 500 super flash and sigma is offering $100 candian dollars if I buy their flash and a lens like the 17-70.
once I get the K10 the store I am buying off of told me if I don't like the 17-70 I can exchange it for the 16-45.
the 100 dollars will likely go towards the battery grip if they get some in.
I also like the fact the sigma goes up to 70mm, which is 105mm in 35mm terms, which is a great focal length for portraits.
I e-mailed a sigma 17-70 owner who says that he was very impressed with the lens for the price. I am a little nervous about the quality issues though.
this will be "perfect" walk around lens. I tried it at the store and it was very fast focasing on the k100. I am told it is a little bit soft wide open at 2.8 and the corners are also a bit on the soft side. (my workaround for soft edges is to just allow for it and crop that part out, which the k10 will have more then enough mega pixels to do this without loosing quality)
If the pentax went from 17-70 area, then the pentax would have likely won.

my question is.... how would you know if a lens of bad quality (a dud on the same assembly line that a great lens is produced)

hope this helps

randy
11-19-2006, 10:48 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I have the 16-45mm lens on a DS and will use that on my new K10D, it is always sharp. The 17-70mm is similar to my 28-105mm F2.8-4.0, you don't have to zoom far to loose the F2.8 so I think it is overrated, for the K10D I would really suggest the Sigma 18-50mm EX F2.8 or if on a budget then the 18-125mm.