Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Next I started putting the lens back together. I aligned every part exactly the way they were (thanks the markings I had made). Apart from small adjustments with a file it was pretty straightforward.

The infinity focus was adjusted by loosening those hard to reach screws under the bevel of the focus ring, adjusting focus from the helicoid, lining up the infinty mark and tightening the screws.

I haven't compared the aperture stops to other lenses but f2 is wide open and closes down step by step after that so it's good enough for me.

I filled a few extra holes on the mount and touched it up with a black marker.

Few quick product shots of the completed lens:

11-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

This if a very comprehensive, detailed and interesting description of the conversion and a very tidy completed job. It hardly looks like anything has been done to it let alone a complete mount conversion requiring the removal of 3.5mm of the original lens! This lens looks s lot less straightforward to convert then the 3 I have done so far, I'm not surprised it took a long time to do.

My Zeiss Contax macro had the same registration distance and aperture movement direction as pentax so it was pretty strightforward - even making an aperture linkage so it worked as an M lens was pretty easy.
The Zuiko shift lens was probably the easiest conversion possible as there is no aperture linkage between the camera and lens anyway so the converted lens workes exactly like the original did.
My vivitar 55 macro was fairly strightforward to convert and I am currently working on the aperture linkage so the camera can stop it down. I am still quite optimistic that this lens can be made to work as an A lens in which case it may be more usable than the original pentax k mount version.

QuoteOriginally posted by ovim Quote
Next few days I spent thinking. In the evening I watched TV with the mount in my hand and I was just turning the aperture ring back and forth.
I do most of my problem solving this way also. It's amazing how ideas can pop into your head while you are fiddling with the problem part and thinking about something else.
I'm currently at this stage with some more zuiko lenses - I have a 50mm f3.5 macro and a 100mm f2.8. Im trying to figure out how to connect the aperture mechanism to the camera or to copy the DOF preview mechcanism these menses have built into the mount. Conveniently both the Zuiko lenses I have have the same mount and aperture mechanism so once I have sucessfully done one the other will be easy.

I look forward to seeing the results from your finished masterpiece. What will the next project be...
11-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks MattGunn! I'm pretty pleased myself. I think the next project will be the new sauna in my house... Here's a few shots from yesterday morning.